Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cutting glass

Whenever I'm cutting kit glass, I cover the entire piece (both sides) with masking tape, mark my cut and cut very slowly with my trusty razor (zona) saw. Don't use a lot of pressure let the saw do the work. After the cut, I sand down the raw edge before removing the tape. Take your time, have sharp tools and you should be fine.

I do as Rob does, only I've done it with the back side of an exacto number 11 blade. I'll use a straight edge, in my case I have an old metal jig saw blade that I've covered three sides in masking tape leaving the back side of it (note that I've covered the blade edge). I just carefully score the line over and over without any real pressure until it comes free. Finish the edge as mentioned above.

I do this a lot since I don't like looking at my interiors through plastic, and I like the windows open so I can reach inside if needed. There's nothing more frustrating than having a finished model with sealed windows with a shifter floating around inside! Also, once you've opened up the window, you can give your model a bit of character by having side glass rolled up to a random point. See below photo.

MVC013S-vi.jpg

I do as Rob does, only I've done it with the back side of an exacto number 11 blade. I'll use a straight edge, in my case I have an old metal jig saw blade that I've covered three sides in masking tape leaving the back side of it (note that I've covered the blade edge). I just carefully score the line over and over without any real pressure until it comes free. Finish the edge as mentioned above.

I do this a lot since I don't like looking at my interiors through plastic, and I like the windows open so I can reach inside if needed. There's nothing more frustrating than having a finished model with sealed windows with a shifter floating around inside! Also, once you've opened up the window, you can give your model a bit of character by having side glass rolled up to a random point. See below photo.

MVC013S-vi.jpg

Tom i like how the window is partly up never thought of that before