Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Dodge L700 Truck, And Long Flatbed Trailer

I've been working with this for a while. It's Lindberg's kit. This is quite good quality, if you watch parts what are in the box but I'm buildin my first truck ever, and there are parts, I haven't ever seen. The problem is that in the instruction manuals, there are part number marked very cleary BUT there are no numbers in those parts...! Sometimes just need to think long time before gluing some parts together. This will be green with red fenders etc., as on the box art. I will build this looking very clean, I mean, no weathering... Engine is painted by red, now I must add some detalis to it before it looks correct. This kit has a tilt cab option, that's what I'll be going to do. Frame is red, axles are black. From the front axle system: There was missing one part. I made it from scratch, quite good. I used styrene and MIG wire.

P9030330.jpg

P9030331.jpg

P9030332.jpg

P9030334.jpg

P9030335.jpg

P9030340.jpg

P9040353.jpg

More on the next post...

Edited by W-409

looks like your off to a good start

a word of advise though, before you glue that front axle into place do a good mockup of the chassis

i have the same kit i am working on (think its under my bench) and it has a terrible rake to it

so since you still have time you might want to consider raising the chassis on the front axle :D

Thanks Zukiholic. Today I've been working on the front axle system. Test fit those front axle parts and I think, it's good... Had a bit of problems, I glued those parts wrongly but I fixed the problem. Now let that glue dry and I glue the hole front axle to frame tomorrow, maybe...

Parts just need more paint. ;)

P9050363.jpg

P9050364.jpg

P9050365.jpg

What you guys think if I would paint the cab with primer, then that DODGE text by silver. Then green paint and taking paint off on the letters...?

P9050362.jpg

Continues...

Thanks Dave! I test fit that front axle now and the car has a little rake, but I think, it looks pretty cool with it... So, I leave it just like it's now. That part, I made from scratch fits perfectly to the front axle, that's one thing I'm happy (and suprised...).

P9060368.jpg

P9060369.jpg

P9060370.jpg

P9060371.jpg

That cab is not rightly on the pictures... I feel free for comments, as always. :D

Nice work. I do have a question, and others can answer on this, too. Did you have any issues with the frame being warped? I've got 2 of these in the works, one with the flatbed trailer and the other was just the truck itself (Yeah, I know, "Longbox is building a MoPar????" :blink: ) I haven't checked the one in the double kit for warpage yet, but the single kit has a definite warp, which has the frame arcing to the right about 1/4". Just wondering if it is a common issue or if I just got an odd one.

looks like your off to a good start

a word of advise though, before you glue that front axle into place do a good mockup of the chassis

i have the same kit i am working on (think its under my bench) and it has a terrible rake to it

so since you still have time you might want to consider raising the chassis on the front axle :blink:

When IMC first tooled up this kit, they scaled it based on a stock L700 that did not have a trailer attached to it. With the rear springs uncompressed, it definitely had that "rake" but it was factory correct. There is a straignt on "profile" (Side View) picture of the unladen L700 in the original Dodge Truck brochure, and it matched the rake of my builtup L700 exactly. TIM

So if you are displaying the tractor without a trailer, leave the rear suspension as is, but if you are adding a trailer, it would definitely be approrpriate to drop the rear end ride height slightly.

Nice work. I do have a question, and others can answer on this, too. Did you have any issues with the frame being warped? I've got 2 of these in the works, one with the flatbed trailer and the other was just the truck itself (Yeah, I know, "Longbox is building a MoPar????" B) ) I haven't checked the one in the double kit for warpage yet, but the single kit has a definite warp, which has the frame arcing to the right about 1/4". Just wondering if it is a common issue or if I just got an odd one.

No, my frame wasn't warped at all... It was quite easy to put together too. And for Tim, I think, I put that trailer too. I have to look now, how does that flatbed trailer fit to the truck with this rake. If it's not going to fit, I'll raise the frontend or lower the rearend. Thank you guys!

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you, Jim. Today I have done plug wires to engine. They are not made from Detail Master's aftermarket stuff, because you can't see them so well. But you can see them so I made them... They were not so easy but finished product is quite good... But anyhow, here are the pictures to you guys!

PA070422.jpg

PA070423.jpg

PA070424.jpg

PA070425.jpg

Feel free for comments...

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update... I have been working with that '56 Chevy right now, this hasn't been on my workbench... Today I painted the radiator. It's painted by Revell's gloss black and radiator carton (is that correct word, my english is not so good...) is painted by Revell silver... I have to paint that top with that silver yet... Transmission is painted by Humbroll Metallic 53. That's quite good looking, that engine I mean. Sometimes these Lindberg kits are a little bit... Continues soon, hopefully... This is quite interesting to build, trucks are not that thing, I usually build.

ENGINE IS JUST TEST FITTED!!!

PA240663.jpg

PA240664.jpg

It looks like pink, but it's looking like how it looks in that previous post.

Thank you all for the comments! I think, I leave that radiator silver... The story of the engine is that is just like that in the kit. I just made it boxstock to that point, exept those plug wires but otherwise it's box stock. Don't know, is it really right looking but with this model, I don't care. :) I have to continue this build soon.

I have always liked the little Dodge truck! I have one I'm rebuilding that is an old IMC kit!

A local garbage hauler used them back when i was in school! Other than garbage trucks I have only seen three as semi tractors and one of those was in a junk yard!

Oddly enough like the garbage trucks two of them were twin screws! Well one actually had a tag axle. But the other was a dual drive! The guy was hauling single steel coils on a 27ft flat out of a mill in Gary In.!

The single drive like the kit was used by a local Lumber Yard to haul trusses and large lumber loads for contractors!

I seem to remember that the ones with dual drive also had a heavier frame, but that could just be a faulty memory!:angry:

Could be you could use another more detailed looking donr engine! Got this from a Dodge truck site!

Big Block EnginesFirst available in `67 as an option for D and W-series half, 3/4 and one ton trucks, the 383 was the only engine not modified from the car version to fit truck duty. Slant-Six and Small block truck engines were different from car versions as they generally had tougher bearings and forged cranks as well as modified compression for higher torque. Engineers at Chrysler deemed that the 383 did not need enhancements such as these because it already had the torque and horsepower to handle the loads it would have to carry in the light-duty truck application. Surprisingly, the heavier duty Dodge Trucks from the same era, such as the W-300 and D-300 to D-700 trucks, had only the 361-2 and 361-3 B-series engines to choose from as optional over the Slant-Six. The 383 was not an option for these trucks. Nonetheless, the 361 engine was available in all of the larger trucks from `61 to `71. Of the optional engines available throughout `61-`71, the 426 Wedge which was available in the Custom Sport Special package is probably the most interesting. If the 426 was ordered for one of these trucks, dual exhaust and a custom instrument cluster with tachometer were required by the factory.

Edited by Johnny

I've actually worked on one of those Custom Sport Specials with the 426 engine. Came into the shop for a set of tires. The one thing I really rmember about it, other than the 426/Torqueflite edrivetrain, was what was under the nasty Earl Scheib paint job. While the paint on the truck was a faded medium blue, the original color was Plum Crazy! Never saw the truck again after we worked on it, sometimes I wonder what happened to it.

• 1 month later...

Truck is waiting some parts to dry, but I started to build that long flatbed trailer to this one. I painted those beds (?) by silver spray few weeks ago. I let them dry very well, because I don't want that paint leaves from the part, when I'm masking it. So second this was that I masked that part so, that I can paint those wooden panels. I painted them with Hubroll flat brown. It went pretty good. Then some "Clear Orange" on that brown paint and now it looks like real wood. After that I removed those masking tapes and I'm very happy from the score. Now just another bed is painted, other one needs still paint.

That's very easy way to get real looking wood panels to car. I like that. And when you paint that Clear Orange on the brown, it's not smooth so it looks like real wood. That orange clear is like "must". :D

Here one picture for you:

PC230496.jpg