MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Full Name:Bart Huyett

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

So that's suppose to be this?

Posted Image

Nice pic of the raptor head, are those holes towards the bottom the plug holes running dual plugs per cylinder?

#23 thumper86

thumper86

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Full Name:robert quimby

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Bottom are attaching points to the side are plugs.

#24 eviltwincustoms

eviltwincustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Bottom are attaching points to the side are plugs.

Thanks Robert, that makes perfect since now that you say that. Now I feel stupid... :wacko: :)

Rom doing brass work sure isn't easy so I have to give you props for taking it on, because I know it is outside of my current modelling skills. I have the utmost respect for you doing what you are doing on this build to test your skills. Based on that pic, do you have plans to go back and fill in those holes and drill them in their proper place?

#25 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Full Name:Romell Robinson

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Thanks Robert, that makes perfect since now that you say that. Now I feel stupid... :wacko: :)

Rom doing brass work sure isn't easy so I have to give you props for taking it on, because I know it is outside of my current modelling skills. I have the utmost respect for you doing what you are doing on this build to test your skills. Based on that pic, do you have plans to go back and fill in those holes and drill them in their proper place?

Hey Bart thats a ruff pic i still have plenty of work to do on the heads and I have already filled the holes for redrilling. once the basic shape is finished i will go back and smooth it all out. Thanks for your confidence in my abilitys all of this is still new ground for me so I learn as i go. :)

#26 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

So that's suppose to be this?

Posted Image

Its a work in progress Micheal... I sure hope you dont live in a glass house buddy.....But I invite you to make one from brass. :)

#27 tyrone

tyrone

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • Full Name:Tyrone Price

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Looking great so far Rom.. big props on your work with brass...

#28 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

awesome start Romell, gonna be sweet!

#29 TedsModeling

TedsModeling

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Full Name:Ted Bowe

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

I have enough trouble with plastic - I can't imagine brass. Gotta give you credit for taking this on, Rom. I know you like challenges!
Can't wait for you to show the skeptics how it's done.

#30 eviltwincustoms

eviltwincustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

Its a work in progress Micheal... I sure hope you dont live in a glass house buddy.....But I invite you to make one from brass. :)

What I can't live in a Glass House and put on my "Rose" colored glasses? LOL :D

#31 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

honestly Romell, i think that engine block/head effort looks horrible. would you rather me be completely honest with you or fill your head up with a bunch of false praise that's going to do absolutely nothing for you but inflate your ego? i don't work with brass but if i did and i wanted to make the head and engine block or parts that you are attempting i wouldn't be going at it the way you are with all of that brass sheet and the hand tools you are apparently using. IMO those parts are going to require blocks of brass or aluminum and a mill. IIRC you have both a lathe and a mill correct? why arent you using those tools?

i'm not picking on you or trying to start a fight here. i think your "fans" are leading you in the wrong direction with thier false praise comments, i think you can do better than what you are. if it were me i'd be scratchbuilding what you are from styrene, maybe aluminum. if you want to stick with brass then good for you, but i think you are going about the whole thing wrong and using the wrong tools.

Thanks for your honest opinion Dave Its true my mill would make things alot easyer, but I cant use my mill as of right now because my shop has been dismanteled because of my move. I believe I can make a go of it with the tools I have at hand and i believe i can make em look good. As a matter of fact they are (the parts) starting take shape. What you have seen so far are early works alot of refinements have taken place since the first photos were taken. I invite you to stay tunned and see how it all turns out. B)

#32 TedsModeling

TedsModeling

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Full Name:Ted Bowe

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Rom - I'm waiting for the smoothed out version you mentioned above. Are you doing it with putty?
I don't think I read why you're using brass and not plastic.
With your labor on this, it'd be less expensive to buy a resin engine. But don't let me take the fun away from you!

#33 pharr7226

pharr7226

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for your honest opinion Dave Its true my mill would make things alot easyer, but I cant use my mill as of right now because my shop has been dismanteled because of my move. I believe I can make a go of it with the tools I have at hand and i believe i can make em look good. As a matter of fact they are (the parts) starting take shape. What you have seen so far are early works alot of refinements have taken place since the first photos were taken. I invite you to stay tunned and see how it all turns out. B)

I appreciate the honest, but not malicious criticism, and the graceful acknowledgment of it. Not all criticisms and responses go this well on this forum or others. Good job guys.

#34 tyrone

tyrone

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • Full Name:Tyrone Price

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

well said Rick...

#35 Roadkill2525

Roadkill2525

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Full Name:You know what it is.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Work in progress will not change the fact that the manifold bolts & holes are not symmetrical, and the basic piece doesn't match the prototype.

#36 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Work in progress will not change the fact that the manifold bolts & holes are not symmetrical, and the basic piece doesn't match the prototype.

Just keep ur eye on the prize and it'll all work its self out.

#37 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:31 AM

Rom... Great work man. I know there is a lot of detail that you will be working out on these heads and they will look great when done. I know its a lot of work to do these all out of brass. Looking forward to your next update.

#38 Roadkill2525

Roadkill2525

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Full Name:You know what it is.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

Just keep ur eye on the prize and it'll all work its self out.

I rather not lower my standards.

#39 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

I rather not lower my standards.

If thats the case your lowering your so called standards by even replying in my thread, why dont you do yourself a favor and find better hunting grounds. Ive done my best to keep things civil with you Michael and over look the fact that you have been harassing me since I banned your buddy.

Edited by Romell R, 08 October 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#40 Prostreet

Prostreet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Beard

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

Seriously,This stuff even happens on model forums? People need to grow up. Were building model cars for crying out loud.

Edited by Prostreet, 01 May 2012 - 10:32 AM.