MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:45 AM

Were  some of them fuel Injected ?

I seem to remember one at a local show several years ago that was FI

I have always liked the late 50's fin cars , and this one is no exception.

Anyone have pictures of one of them done and/or in process ?

I don't think Cadillac fitted either the '57's or '58's with an FI setup. What you might have seen was a setup from another car. With the price as high as it was back then it would have been fitting, but GM was having trouble from the get-go with FI equipped cars including the 'Vettes.

I had one started long ago, but I don't know what happened to it. It's in the attic somewhere (maybe) and in a million pieces. If I run across it, I'll post it here. I do remember doing quite of bit of reshaping to get the proportions right, and I hinged the doors with the center "lock" holding the doors shut.

#22 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

This is from the Corvette Forum...

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Back in the early 50s, when Ed Cole was chief engineer of Cadillac, Cadillac was the leader of technology for GM. At that time, John Dolza was an up and coming engineer and had done a ton of research on fuel injection (Dolza was actually the engineer who developed FI for GM). When Cole left Cad, their leadership in technology diminished. I suspect that ORIGINALLY, plans were to offer FI as an option on Cads. Mike hunt (anyone remember his Research Project 56/57) is the person who uncovered the manufacture of the five 57 Cad FI units. Where they are, whether they got put on production cars, whether they were development/prototype units, whether there were, or are, any pictures of a Cad FI unit I don't know. ONLY Chev and Pont sold PRODUCTION cars with an FI option. Pont dropped the option after 58, Chev dropped the option after 59 on pass cars and finally dropped it on Vettes after 65.
So, I'm simply curious if ANY photos exist of those 5 Cad FI units. It is not out of the realm of possibility that they did exist, because Cads did have 2x4 carbs available for 55-57 cars, so why not FI?.

#23 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

I'd be curious to see that as well...........makes sense that Cadillac would have headed up something like that as it was seen as somewhat "exotic" technology back then.

It may have have been that the setup was seen as more of a high performance sort of thing, and that's not what Caddy was about back in those days. Not that they were bad performers for the size that they were-------just that Cadillac didn't see the need to put that sort of thing into production IMO.

IIRC, Cadillac was the one of the first American makes to reintroduce FI back into production cars in the '70's. Didn't the then new for 1976 Cadillac Seville have FI as standard equipment?

#24 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

I know Mopar had Bendix FI in 1958 and I've seen a late 50's Pontiac that was FI

#25 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

Yup, and the Mopar Bendix version was electronic. I actually saw one when I was a little kid, in the parking lot at a Howard Johnson's restaurant. There was a 'black box',

like a radio, that was the EFI brain. The car wouldn't start, which is why it was opened up. Fairly common (failures) apparently. The system went on to become the basis for the successful Bosch solid-state EFI system of the '60s.

GM's FI units were all based on the Rochester mechanical system, again if I recall correctly.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 01 April 2013 - 06:09 AM.

#26 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,790 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

Another thing to remember on this Caddy. The Roof is Bare Stainless Steel!!!

But.... How best to replicate that??

BMF, then gently rubbed with fine steel wool in straight strokes to get that "brushed" look is one way to do it. Then after you finish the roof, you add the "shiny" trim around the windows.

#27 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

BMF, then gently rubbed with fine steel wool in straight strokes to get that "brushed" look is one way to do it. Then after you finish the roof, you add the "shiny" trim around the windows.

Will BMF conform to the compound-curvature of the roof panel without wrinkles ?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 31 March 2013 - 07:04 AM.

#28 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

If the curve isn't too severe, I have done so..................

#29 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,790 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

You would probably be best off doing it in sections, trying to foil the roof with one large piece would be practically impossible. I would do the center section, then add the left and right sides... you might have to go with several smallish pieces at the rear corners. Cut the pieces so that the joint lines run straight front to back. The texture from the steel wool would tend to hide the joint lines between the foil pieces.

It's not a perfect solution (is there one?)... but I think it gives the closest look to a "brushed" stainless steel top.

#30 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Thanks...you've given me a idea. I've noticed that Testors buffing Metalizers are very unforgiving as to hiding surface imperfections. Maybe if the surface is 'brushed' with sandpaper in one direction, very carefully before applying metalizer...part of it will shrink into the grooves and part will be at the top of the scratches. With the right grit paper and subsequent buffing, a convincing seam-free 'brushed stainless' finish might be obtainable. Worth experimenting on...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 01 April 2013 - 06:10 AM.

#31 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,790 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Thanks...you have given me a idea. I've noticed that Tertors buffing Metalizers are very unforgiving as to hiding surface imperfections. Maybe if the surface is 'brushed' with sandpaper in one direction, very carefully before applying metalizer...part of it will shrink into the grooves and part will be at the top of the scratches. With the right grit paper and subsequent buffing, a convincing seam-free 'brushed stainless' finish might be obtainable. Worth experimenting on...

I like it!

#32 codie27

codie27

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Full Name:Codie Lawrey

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Here's my only build of this kit. I decided after opening the box there was very little I liked about the kit so I decided a kustom was the way to go for me. The mods speak for themselves so I won't go into it unless anyone has any questions. As unimpressed as i was with the kit I would buy another one.

Attached Files

#33 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

And when you've tried this, try the Lindberg '48 Lincoln...

#34 peekay

peekay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Full Name:Peter Kennedy

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

Buy this kit and don't even take the cellophane off. It's one of the nicest boxes ever produced and will look great on any shelf as is.

#35 Dave

Dave

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Sciano

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

You would probably be best off doing it in sections, trying to foil the roof with one large piece would be practically impossible. I would do the center section, then add the left and right sides... you might have to go with several smallish pieces at the rear corners. Cut the pieces so that the joint lines run straight front to back. The texture from the steel wool would tend to hide the joint lines between the foil pieces.

It's not a perfect solution (is there one?)... but I think it gives the closest look to a "brushed" stainless steel top.

I'm not sure who made it, but several years ago at NNL East I bought a small sheet of something similier to BMF that had a brushed finished to it.  It was a little thicker than BMF but still worked well, not sure how would look on a roof though.

#36 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,309 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

Testors Stainless Steel Buffing Metalizer?

tesr2252.jpg

#37 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

The Testors paint is what I used . Looks good too.

#38 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,644 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

Another thing to remember on this Caddy. The Roof is Bare Stainless Steel!!!

But.... How best to replicate that??

As it was brushed stainless, try the dull side of kitchen aluminum foil.

I'd get some Micro Scale foil adhesive, apply it to the roof, trim the foil, and then use BMF or the shiny side of the sheet of foil you used for the shiny bits.

Charlie Larkin

#39 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:15 AM

I guess when I said BMF, I should have said the Flat Aluminum, 

then asked how best to tint over that to get the correct Stainless color?!?

Sanding the BMF???

Maybe buff it with an Ink Eraser, but, i would Not even try 1000 grit Sand paper

on it knowing how thin it is and how easily it tears!

To me, Paint would just look like Paint!

The top os Bare Stainless. How would I duplicate the Grain of the Bare metal with Paint?!!!

That is why I was thinking Start with (Flat Aluminum) BMF

it Already Has the grain effect, but is too like in color.

Too bad no one makes Stainless foil!!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan, 08 April 2013 - 01:20 AM.

#40 azers

azers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Try going one direction on dull aluminum with a scotchbrite.