Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dumb questions: Tamiya bottle paint

What do I use to clean Tamiya paint out of my brush?

I've been making washes with Model Master enamels by using thinner and a dab of paint.

What do I use to make a wash using the Tamiya?

Thank you for your help!!!!!!!!

There are NO Dumb Questions! It fact I'm glad you brought this question up. I made the switch to Tamiya's spay paints a while back, and because of the great results I've had, I have been thinking about moving to their bottle paints next. This was a great question. One I probably would not of thought of until I bought the paint and started using. Then I would have been left scratching my head trying to figure that one out. I for one, am glad you asked it. Saved me some future trouble.

Scott

I also recommend Tamiya products. I have used them for years as well as others, but Tamiya is my default paint. The only thing I have had issues with is on the brush bottles. I stir and then reseal and shake before use. What seems to happen is that the design of the top will get paint into the sealing surface between the lid and the bottle. If unused for an extended period of time they become almost impossible to reopen. What has worked best is to place the bottle upside down in very warm water for a time. Some of the water will get into the cap and soften the dried paint.

I also recommend Tamiya products. I have used them for years as well as others, but Tamiya is my default paint. The only thing I have had issues with is on the brush bottles. I stir and then reseal and shake before use. What seems to happen is that the design of the top will get paint into the sealing surface between the lid and the bottle. If unused for an extended period of time they become almost impossible to reopen. What has worked best is to place the bottle upside down in very warm water for a time. Some of the water will get into the cap and soften the dried paint.

I have also vaguely noticed that the caps dry to the jars, so I've started to gently wipe the brim with moist paper.

Need Mr. Cap Opener. Made by Mr. Hobby (Gunze) but also works on Tamiya "mini" bottles. Works a treat.

MrBottleOpener-1.jpg

Another one of those genius Japanese "don't knock it til you've tried it" tools.

Edited by Brett Barrow