Model Cars Magazine Forum

Right outside my living room window...A

MitchP

I'll bet that someone, somewhere has taken a Javelin and added all the AMX trim bits! :rolleyes: And you could probably pass it off on some unsuspecting, unknowledgable soul.

It would be hard, but you could do it. Javelins have longer wheelbases, a larger rear quarter window, different curves (look at the rear wheelwell of the AMX vs the Javelin, the AMXs bodyline matches with the wheel well curve, but the Javelin doesn't) The AMX has a indention behind the rear quarter window, Javelin doesn't.. And here's the really big one. The AMX has a straight edge going from the roof to the bumper, but the Javelin has a dip or two and the roof is also higher, making room for the rear seat... Lots and lots of subtle differences. OH and the Javelin has 4 seats, that should really give it away!! :lol:

Here's a '68 AMX

1hv8cp.jpg

and here's a '68 Javelin

2e4gb2w.jpg

It'd be really hard. Especially if there's one next to you. AMC guys seem to gravitate to one another hahah

Edited by DynoMight

Did you have a 360 or a 390? auto/manual? New/used?

Mine looked EXACTLY like this one!

1hv8cp.jpg

The only difference was mine had black bumpers instead of the body colored ones. Mine was a 390 4-spd, 3:54 rear end, absolutely NO POWER anything! No power brakes (drums on all fours), no air, no power steering........NADA! It was a basic bare bones, very fast going car. I bought it in May of 1988 and kept it till July of '92. The only reason I sold it----------I was heading to Ft. Jackson S.C, and couldn't take the car on base with me.

I sold the car to a fellow that lives north of me (Berwick, PA) and believe it or not, I still know the VIN number to the car, as well as the dash plaque numbers which told you if you looked 'em up, what time of the year the car was built. Mine was a very late number, and I learned that the engine was built just before shut down of the '69 model year. The car was originally sold just before the '70's would be intro'd, and I eventually became the fourth owner.

Hindsight being 20/20, I really wish I could have kept the car---------it turned out that I got injured while I was in S.C., and the army ended up sending me home on a medical discharge.

Love to have one to this day, but the prices are out of sight now for even a daily driver. The price I paid for mine in 1988? $2500! No rust, no dents, body as clean as a whistle, and could outrun 0-60 even brand new 'Vettes of the day.

No kidding!

Edited by MrObsessive

Wow! Pardon my confusion, but is the "grabber green" AMX a build or the real thing? That's immaculate, right down to the red lined tires. The one I saw (for sure an AMX now) was a shade lighter green, like looking at one of those paint mixing cards. I'm a yellow freak and the yellow AMX with matching bumpers is my favorite. Such a beautiful ride. And the days when you could pick options individually, or at least reasonably so in race type packages is so far from the one size fits all stuff sitting in showrooms nowaways. And we still have to bail-out car manufacturers! I just want to know where my dividend checks are now some of them are showing a profit LOL!

Mine looked EXACTLY like this one!

1hv8cp.jpg

The only difference was mine had black bumpers instead of the body colored ones. Mine was a 390 4-spd, 3:54 rear end, absolutely NO POWER anything! No power brakes (drums on all fours), no air, no power steering........NADA! It was a basic bare bones, very fast going car. I bought it in May of 1988 and kept it till July of '92. The only reason I sold it----------I was heading to Ft. Jackson S.C, and couldn't take the car on base with me.

I sold the car to a fellow that lives north of me (Berwick, PA) and believe it or not, I still know the VIN number to the car, as well as the dash plaque numbers which told you if you looked 'em up, what time of the year the car was built. Mine was a very late number, and I learned that the engine was built just before shut down of the '69 model year. The car was originally sold just before the '70's would be intro'd, and I eventually became the fourth owner.

Hindsight being 20/20, I really wish I could have kept the car---------it turned out that I got injured while I was in S.C., and the army ended up sending me home on a medical discharge.

Love to have one to this day, but the prices are out of sight now for even a daily driver. The price I paid for mine in 1988? $2500! No rust, no dents, body as clean as a whistle, and could outrun 0-60 even brand new 'Vettes of the day.

No kidding!

Ah man, that sounds sweet! My father bought his as a Texas car, so no rust it was a 390 with a auto, around the early 90s, stripped it down, repainted it from the factory color (gold) to a metallic blue. He converted the car from a auto to a manual and then took out the 390 and rebuilt it. Around 2000-ish he started to take it apart again, and in 2003-ish he repainted it, in our one-car garage, fire engine red, one piece at a time. He would take a piece, say the hood, sand it, prime it, sand it, prime it, and then he painted it. There are no dust spots in the paint or clear. Then around 2005-ish the oil pump gave out and basically ruined the engine (crank, pistons, and a bunch other stuff is shot) so we tore that engine out and got a Javelin donor car for a 360, stripped that down and rebuilt that, and now that engine is starting to go too. Right now we got another 360, stripped that down, had it cleaned up by a machinist shop, bored .30 over, we got new piston and rings, new crank, cam, all the good stuff. Pretty soon we'll have the 360 (the old one) out of the car and have the .30 over 360 in the car. The car also need a new clutch, it's a very heavy clutch.

Just like yours, no power anything, drums all around... That really sucks, you sell it and then realize you didn't have to sell it all along! Hope it went to good hands... I think this is my dad's 6th AMX, not sure... If you look around on EvilBay, there's always a couple in the 7k-12k range that could use a little work... And I believe you, these are fast cars. AMX are pretty quick cars, especially for what they had and the short time they were in production.

Wow! Pardon my confusion, but is the "grabber green" AMX a build or the real thing? That's immaculate, right down to the red lined tires. The one I saw (for sure an AMX now) was a shade lighter green, like looking at one of those paint mixing cards. I'm a yellow freak and the yellow AMX with matching bumpers is my favorite. Such a beautiful ride. And the days when you could pick options individually, or at least reasonably so in race type packages is so far from the one size fits all stuff sitting in showrooms nowaways. And we still have to bail-out car manufacturers! I just want to know where my dividend checks are now some of them are showing a profit LOL!

It's a model, believe it or not!

Thanks Dyno! That's one clean build. I've been into drag racing since I was a kid, so when I decided to take up modeling last year after being "retired" because of disability, I had to have something to do other than crank up the guitar. I have built an AMT '66 Nova, which I really didn't like since I started extra detailing right away and then went through 3 bodies until I could get the 4th one to work! After that, it was the Iaconia T-Bird prostock which I customized into Billy Glidden's p/s dream car, then Connie Kalitta's reissue as my own "Nitro Mare" funny car and the Revell '55 Chevy pro sportsman. I've put a pro mod engine in the McEwen '57 funny car which just needs decals and I'm doing a crazy pro mod rebuild of the Hays T-bird street rod with the twin blowers. Let's just say I've got pro mod on the brain for now!

• 1 year later...

OK, I know I an new here and I should behave, but I HAVE to make some corrections.

I own a 1974 AMC Javelin, and my boyfriend currently owns 3.  He can't remember how many he has owned through the years... I am still be learning from him, and I need to, because I have had to put up with so many car guys telling me "facts" that are incorrect, so I just plain HAVE to clear some stuff up:

An old American Motors AMX in Chrysler's old bright lime color (the name escapes me although I had a '71 Duster of the same shade)

That color is Big Bag Green, not a Chrysler color as Chrysler had nothing to do with AMC at the time.

The Javelin is four inches longer the the AMX, to accommodate the backseat. The AMX's roofline was straight down to the rear, but the Javelin was a more sloping roof line. So that might help you in deciding whether it was a AMX or Javelin.

This was only the case from 1968-1970.  The 1971-1974 cars were all the same body and chassis with a back seat

I could be wrong or forgetting, but I thought AMC also had a 340 ci as an option in either or both of these cars.

V8 engines were:  1968-1970 = 290/343/390   1971-1974 = 304/360/401   And these are ALL AMC ENGINES, not designed by the Big Three.

IIRC, you could get a 290, a 343 a 360, or a 390; all with either a Auto or Manual. I believe you could order a 401, not sure.

Yes, you could get a manual 401… my boyfriend owns a 1973 401 4-speed

but is the "grabber green" AMX a build or the real thing?

AMX did not use Chrysler paint colors.  Again that color is/was Big Bad Green.  Was offered along with BBBlue and BBOrange.  True Big Bad cars also came with body colored bumpers

Edited by Nells250

1969 was the color bumper year, 1970 BB cars always had CHROME bumpers.  Also of note, the 1970 cars had different style front suspensions than the first cars.  The doors were actually DIFFERENT each year, or at least the hinges were.  You'd have to cut/paste to get them on. 

By the way, whoever build the model shared here did a GREAT job.  Even got the wheels right, with the glitter paint on the wheels!

;-)  I didn't want to come across as being a jerk...   ;-)

Trust me...no matter how politely you try to correct misinformation and post actual truth rather than endlessly repeated and just flat wrong hearsay and opinions with nothing empirical to back them up...even if you really know exactly what you're talking about from personal first-hand experience of many years (and can prove it), and even if your motivation is solely to help... somebody is going to call you out for being a know-it-all, jerk, meany, generally not-nice person of poor-character who doesn't play well with the other kiddies.

I personally prefer truth to BS. Apparently, a lot of people don't. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy