Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell of Germany Ferrari SA Aperta

Exotics_Builder

I was trying to get this built for the March 21 Ferrari Expo after my Dino 246 GTS body was accidentally damaged beyond repair by a workman. But, a case of the stomach flu and the aftermath kept me away from working on this for eight days. I am in the process of finishing up the subassemblies prior to putting it together.

The body has gotten its clear coat which needs polishing and then touch up to the engine bay, door sills and windshield.

DSCF9747_zpsirj6efz8.jpg

The chassis and engine are pretty much done. I added limited wiring to the engine as most of it is buried under the air intake and shrouds.

DSCF9748_zps0x2msp1c.jpg

I adapted KA Models PE brake set with resin calipers. To me, a big weakness in RoG modern models is the wheel/brake set up. Also, the SA Aperta kit has the 599 GTO brake covers, that the SA Aperta does not.

DSCF9750_zpselskyxwr.jpg

For wheels, I used a Hobby Design aftermarket set I liked along with Hobby Design tires. I added the turned aluminum valve stems and Ferrari logos.

DSCF9751_zpst2enkdon.jpg

For the interior, I opened up the vents and applied KA PE vent covers. I also added seat belts and created a set of floor mats.

DSCF9752_zpsb3cdbdza.jpg

I have created a US side marker lamp decal that I will use, since this is a US Spec car. I also will need to add the air bag warning stickers to the sun visors. A little bit of polishing and clean up needed before going on to final assembly.

Lovely job! The seat belts are a "must" in this one, I reckon. Colour combo looks great -- and strangely familiar (it is the best one, after all). Whose Rosso Fuoco is it? Zero? Scalefinishes?

Two things I learned on my build that may help (you may well know them already, of course...).

The front left corner of the bonnet will not settle down properly OOB. I thinned down the pins on the hinges a bit, so they can move slightly as the bonnet opens and closes, and slightly bent the front left corner downward after heating the bonnet in some steam from the kettle for a few seconds. Now it will shut perfectly.

You'll probably want to replace the 1" thick "armour glass" between and behind the headrests with some thin acetate for a better scale look. I'm not sure how it works: it may be some kind of movable wind deflector, because I've seen pictures of SA Apertas where it reaches the top of the roll hoops, and others where is comes only half way up.

If you haven't seen it, this is well worth a watch:

https://youtu.be/mCPk3oRdUV4

bestest,

M.

Lovely job! The seat belts are a "must" in this one, I reckon. Colour combo looks great -- and strangely familiar (it is the best one, after all). Whose Rosso Fuoco is it? Zero? Scalefinishes?

Two things I learned on my build that may help (you may well know them already, of course...).

The front left corner of the bonnet will not settle down properly OOB. I thinned down the pins on the hinges a bit, so they can move slightly as the bonnet opens and closes, and slightly bent the front left corner downward after heating the bonnet in some steam from the kettle for a few seconds. Now it will shut perfectly.

You'll probably want to replace the 1" thick "armour glass" between and behind the headrests with some thin acetate for a better scale look. I'm not sure how it works: it may be some kind of movable wind deflector, because I've seen pictures of SA Apertas where it reaches the top of the roll hoops, and others where is comes only half way up.

If you haven't seen it, this is well worth a watch:

https://youtu.be/mCPk3oRdUV4

bestest,

M.

I know about the two issues you mentioned. Still haven't decided on the glass as I want to do a little fitment review. Another option on the glass I am considering is to color the edges with a black chisel point Sharpie. Still need to decide.

Since I am trying not to buy any more paint than I have to before moving, I thought I would use some paint I already had. I experimented to come up with a passable match to Rosso Fuocco. It is Tamiya Mica Red over Tamiya Gold with TS-13 Clear Coat. Seems convincing. I do have Scale Finishes and Cobra Colors Ferrari colors, but didn't see one I wanted to use and didn't want to open an unused bottle. So the solution is what I mentioned.

I had come across that You Tube video before, but thanks for referring it.

This is soooo up my alley! Love the wheels and that interior is beautiful. Carrying the red piping throughout is a great look. Loving all of it so far.

On the piping or trim, Normally I have to do something extra, but Revell includes the decals for these. I did have to add the seat belt strap that is shown in the US owners manual (found one online).

Here's the real car I believe Revell used as the prototype:

sa8.jpg.opt900x600o0,0s900x600.jpg