Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clear Coat

m408

The most important point on clear is to be compatible with the paint. The safest way to start is to go with the same paint line: For example, if you use Tamiya paint, use Tamiya Clear etc. Once comfortable then you can start expanding the boundaries. As a general rule, enamel clear tends to yellow over time while lacquer does not. Tamiya acrylic clear (in the jar, not the spray), is usually safe over enamels or lacquers.

Thanks,

The beauty of urethane is removing the need for tedious sanding and polishing. Using the polishing systems from Novus, etc. will actually make urethane duller. If you want good results from any clearcoat, skip the overpriced "systems" and buy a sheet of 1500 or 2000 wet/dry sandpaper and a bottle of fine rubbing compound.

Urethane is where it's at, but when you want something quick even cheap Testors clear gets good results. Just hit it with 1500 wet/dry and 3M rubbing compound after:

IMG_0176-vi.jpg

The beauty of urethane is removing the need for tedious sanding and polishing. Using the polishing systems from Novus, etc. will actually make urethane duller. If you want good results from any clearcoat, skip the overpriced "systems" and buy a sheet of 1500 or 2000 wet/dry sandpaper and a bottle of fine rubbing compound.

Urethane is where it's at, but when you want something quick even cheap Testors clear gets good results. Just hit it with 1500 wet/dry and 3M rubbing compound after:

IMG_0176-vi.jpg

Any rattle can urethanes available? Will it work over enamels and laquers?

Guest Davkin
It should work over anything - the stuff is rock-hard when cured.

It cracked Testors MM enamel on me so I wouldn't say it works over everything. I had let that enamel cure for over a week too, maybe you have to wait a month with Testors. I have used urethane over Rustoleum with no problems though.

My only gripe with urethane is that it's very thick, it tends to bury details and make panel edges very thick. I've used the stuff on well over a hundred modified diecasts and a couple dozen plastic models and used a couple different brands of urethane. I now use use either Tamiya TS clear or Testors MML and am much happier with the thickness and with just a little more work, (polishing) the shine is on par with urethane.

David

Heh, I don't think Testors enamel ever cures.

Urethane is as thick as you want to apply it. Out of the can it's very thick because it's made to resists shopping carts, bird poop, the sun, etc. but I thin it about 50% with lacquer thinner. I also scribe all my body lines before paint, regardless of what I'm painting it with. I imagine die casts can't be too easy to scribe, however.

I've pretty much given up on urethane though. Too stinky and messy. I'll use it again for a big super-detailed project but not for another typical shelf model.

Guest Davkin

How long do you wait to rub out Future, and what do you use to do it? I've tried Future several times but have never been able to acheive a smooth shine with it, I always have a bit of texture I just can't seem to get rid of.

Urethane is as thick as you want to apply it. Out of the can

I used Nasson brand mostly and it couldn't be thinned. I later tried HOK and even with their reducer you could only thin it 10%, much more and it wouldn't go on right. Doesn't matter now, I'm happy with Tamiya and Testors MML, as long as they're available I won't be going back to urethane.

David

I used Nasson brand mostly and it couldn't be thinned. I later tried HOK and even with their reducer you could only thin it 10%, much more and it wouldn't go on right. Doesn't matter now, I'm happy with Tamiya and Testors MML, as long as they're available I won't be going back to urethane.

David

The urethane I used is made by Transtar. Thinning it with $4/gallon hardware store lacquer thinner was a risky experiment but I'm surprised it worked. I actually like the Testors stuff. I've heard of it yellowing, heck it's already yellow in the bottle, but I haven't used it over white and don't plan to anyway.

Actually, there IS another clear urethane in a spray can, made by ALsa Corp, called "SpeedClear" in their "Killer Cans" lineup.

Check out the website as there's a ton of other sprays available, everything from colors to CHROME!

I haven't used it, and at $40 a can I'd have to agree with the statement made about having a BUNCH of bodies/parts lined up to clear coat because one the components are mixed, I am sure there is a certain "life" to the mixture. But here's the info on the site:

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercan.../speedclear.htm

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/speedclea...ed_prodinfo.htm

They also have a "single component" clear coat is spray cans called "Lightning Clear".

Edited by CarModDave

Someone on this forum awhile back recommended UPOL clear#1 it comes in a 16oz. can. It's an acrylic lacquer, it has a nice spray pattern from a can. It's thin and lays down nice with wet coats. It costs about $15-$17 a can at an automotive paint supplier.