Model Cars Magazine Forum

HOBBY LOBBY- kits on sale

GREETINGS builders,

Head on over to your local store, a select group of kits are on sale. Found an AMT C-600 pepsi delivery truck for only $ 23 bucks (reg. $ 38) check'em out. At least that's what is going on here in Michigan. ....... GOOD LUCK ....

I picked up an AMT 359 kit on the clearance shelf at my local Hobby Lobby the other day that someone had bought and apparently needed only the wheels and tires, then brought it back. It was complete except for the tires and wheels and was priced at $12.93. Couldn't pass it up. I've picked up other returned kits, mainly for parts, as the prices were too good to ignore.

A.J.

I picked up an AMT 359 kit on the clearance shelf at my local Hobby Lobby the other day that someone had bought and apparently needed only the wheels and tires, then brought it back. It was complete except for the tires and wheels and was priced at $12.93. Couldn't pass it up. I've picked up other returned kits, mainly for parts, as the prices were too good to ignore.

A.J.

I hate it when people do that.....Because, we all know what they did......Just drives the prices up for all of us honest folk.....I'm glad it worked out for you, though.....I've made a few purchases like that, before, as well...You can get some pretty good stuff thataway......I think they know the guy is scamming, but they don't really want to make that "customer" angry.....Oh well....Such is life....

Edited by kilrathy10

I agree JT that the stores know these folks are scamming them. I've been building model car and trucks since 1958, and have built thousands over that period of time. I can honestly say that I can only think of one or two kits that I've purchased that were defective. Both cases have happened in the past 10 years and both times I contacted the model company to get replacement parts.

Stopped in the Matthews NC Hobby Lobby, got a '66 Nova (Grumpy Jenkins version) for $16 with tax. They also had the AMT '62 Bel Air on sale along with some others, including the Pepsi C600 delivery truck.

Hoping they are making room for some nice new kits (can you say Moebius?) !

I'm with you, there, Mike....Houston area Hobby Lobby's haven't gotten the Mack DM 600's in, yet.....Since I've been hearing others have gotten them, I'm holding out to use a 40% off on a couple when they do.....Can't wait.....I just love that store.....

Edited by kilrathy10

My wife won't buy me models...... :unsure: She say I have too many...... I can't imagine why she would say something as preposterous as that...... :D

My wife says the same thing.

My wife was the same way too, but once my son started building models I had an excuse :P "Honey, it's not my model". It doesn't work like that anymore, she's too smart for that....

My wife was the same way too, but once my son started building models I had an excuse :P "Honey, it's not my model". It doesn't work like that anymore, she's too smart for that....

I'm sure I'll be using that one too. It'll be a few a years though. Well I can say I'm starting on building up his stash now, even though he's only a month old right now.

I think Hobby Lobby knows they would loose money if they were to carry the Moebius trucks. They'd sell the volume, with little revenue.

I would like to see them carry the Moebius cars and pick up.

Never going to happen.

Moebius has tried getting their products into HL, but due to HL's idiotic policy regarding sci-fi and monster kits, Moebius kits are a no-go.

Never going to happen.

Moebius has tried getting their products into HL, but due to HL's idiotic policy regarding sci-fi and monster kits, Moebius kits are a no-go.

That is idiotic. I don't go to HL very often, the closest one to me is in Seabrook NH which is about 35 miles away, the next one is Manchaster NH which is 45 - 50 miles away. The plus side of going there however is no sales tax in NH. I do most of my buying on line.

The HL here in Fayetteville, NY, sells Star Trek kits. Aren't those Sci-fi? What is the "idiotic policy" that you're talking about?

The issue has more to do with the monster kits than sci-fi, but since Moebius is well-known for both subjects, I'm still in the habit of lumping them together. It has more to do with the monster kits, though.

The policy has to do with HL not wanting Moebius products in the store because of their monster kits. It involves the family who owns HL and their personal beliefs, which I'm not touching with a 10 foot pole. Moebius has mentioned it on their Facebook page a couple of times- it was a point of great frustration for them. Personally, I don't see the problem- I've got a couple grand worth of Moebius merchandise, and I've never set foot in a Hobby Lobby store. I can't be the only one. I also don't see why HL would just not stock the monster kits and stock only the auto and/or sci-fi kits if they take objection to them, but forgive me if I side with Moebius on this one. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is, Moebius has tried to get into HL, and HL says no. I don't expect that to change unless there's a regime change at HL... and since (as far as I know) they've been family-owned since the beginning, I'm not expecting that to happen, either.

And since this thread is about an HL sale, and not their business practices...

5390_020.jpg

... that's all I have to say about that. B)

Edited by Chuck Most

They, actually, used to sell some BSG stuff for a while.....I can see what they have against the monster kits, but like you said, why not just stock NON monster kits.....If that's the concern, I do believe AMT and Polar Lights have some monster kits, as well as Monogram, if I'm not mistaken.....Some things can be taken a little too far.....I'm a follower of The Lord, Jesus, as well, but I still dig Sci-Fi......Not sure what the deal is, there.....And why not, at least, stock some AMT trailers while you're at it....Again, they used to.....What happened, there?? Shelf space, perhaps.....No clue.....

Oh, yeah....Just picked up one of those C-600 kits on clearance that we were supposed to be talking about, btw..... :D

Edited by kilrathy10

I think it's a matter of who's ordering at each store. I've been to about 7 different Hobby Lobbies, some had maybe half an isle of models. Others had a full isle of cars, military, sci-fi, and yes some monster trucks(not Moebius). Like Michaels, I've seen the same at their stores too! The one in North Hollywood(Michaels)used to carry more models than our local hobby shop. Now their are very sparse!...Joe