Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to Make Radiator Hoses

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere on the forum yet, but I needed to make a couple of radiator hoses for my current build since I wasn't thrilled about the casting lines and scale. I used aluminum wire, but you could probably use copper or something similar if you want. Aluminum worked great since it bends really easy.

Materials needed:

3/32" styrene tubing

18 gauge solid aluminum wire

Photo etched hose clamps (if desired)

Step 1:

Cut the styrene to the length you want it. I cut mine longer in the event I need more. Better safe than sorry I guess. Cut the aluminum wire longer than your styrene tubing.

Rad1-vi.jpg

Step 2:

Insert the aluminum wire into the styrene tubing.

Rad2-vi.jpg

Step 3:

With a pair of small needle-nose pliers or tool of your choice, bend the tubing to the desired angle and bends as the stock radiator hose or the desired bend you want. Cut the styrene ONLY to the length that the stock radiator hose is or the length needed. Once you cut the styrene, pull off the excess to expose the aluminum wire. Cut the aluminum wire and leave a small section of aluminum sticking out. This will give you the opportunity to drill a hole into the manifold and radiator to secure it when needed.

Rad3-vi.jpg

Step 4:

Paint the hose the color of your choosing and attach photetched clamps if desired.

Rad4-vi.jpg

Rad5-vi.jpg

I found this to be super easy to duplicate. The styrene tubing will keep its shape since the aluminum is in the middle of it. If you have any questions, please let me know, I'd be happy to help. Happy modeling!

Tim

Great tip! I'm actually planning to do some experimenting on making radiator and heater hoses in a similar fashion, with one difference; I'm thinking of trying black heat shrink tubing as the outer layer. I have a rather sizable kit with different sizes in it, some are really too small for any wiring that I do in 1:1, but look to e pretty close for making scale hoses. Looking to possibly eliminate the painting step and still get a realistic rubber look. I'll post pics if it works out.

Great idea! If my memory serves me right, I used 14 gauge solid copper electrical wire to make radiator hoses. Its the same principle as above, but its already done for you. It usually comes with a green, white, blue, black, or red rubber type coating. Its the same style wire used to wire a switch or oulet in your home. Just visit Home Depot or lowes to purchase some. The copper bends easily and holds its shape. Just make sure you buy solid copper, and not stranded copper wire.

Cheers,

Lance

Edited by Yenkocamaro

Great idea! If my memory serves me right, I used 14 gauge solid copper electrical wire to make radiator hoses. Its the same principle as above, but its already done for you. It usually comes with a green, white, blue, black, or red rubber type coating. Its the same style wire used to wire a switch or oulet in your home. Just visit Home Depot or lowes to purchase some. The copper bends easily and holds its shape. Just make sure you buy solid copper, and not stranded copper wire.

Cheers,

Lance

Hi Lance,

The reason I used 18 gauge is because it easily fits into the hole that is in most radiators. I hate it when you can't get the radiator hose to mount up and stay secured, so having 18 gauge sticking out of end of styrene really helped to mount it. The size of the hole needed for a 14 gauge wire is much bigger than that of an 18 gauge wire. The styrene with the 18 gauge solid wire keeps its shape, perfectly. I suppose there is always 100 ways to skin a cat. Thanks!

Tim

I LOVE the photoetched clamps! That is an AMAZING detail to just the hose you made, alone! Gotta ask, who made the photo etched clamps? I like 'em!

I been making clamps from left-over BMF that look like the old bolted on hose clamps, but, those you have here look AWESOME!

NICE work!

Great tip! I'm actually planning to do some experimenting on making radiator and heater hoses in a similar fashion, with one difference; I'm thinking of trying black heat shrink tubing as the outer layer. I have a rather sizable kit with different sizes in it, some are really too small for any wiring that I do in 1:1, but look to e pretty close for making scale hoses. Looking to possibly eliminate the painting step and still get a realistic rubber look. I'll post pics if it works out.

I have tried heat shrink tubing, but unless you choose a wire that fills the tubing, it will probably kink on you (like it did for me).

Tim - I'm assuming you just bought stock styrene tubing from Evergreen or Plastruct? I just wanted to make sure it isn't a special really soft styrene, 'cause your bends look great, but perhaps I just don't have that much experience with styrene tubing to know how much pressure it can stand before rupturing.

I have tried heat shrink tubing, but unless you choose a wire that fills the tubing, it will probably kink on you (like it did for me).

Tim - I'm assuming you just bought stock styrene tubing from Evergreen or Plastruct? I just wanted to make sure it isn't a special really soft styrene, 'cause your bends look great, but perhaps I just don't have that much experience with styrene tubing to know how much pressure it can stand before rupturing.

Just standard styrene, nothing special. The secret is the aluminum core or wire in the middle. It keeps the bends uniform and neat.

Tim

I was reading an article in an older back issue about improving engine bays by using commonly available materials. The author recommended 18awg black solid-core wire for radiator hoses. From his photos, they look exactly like the ones made with aluminum wire and styrene tubing. The #18 wire is the hardest to find with a solid core, but after doing numerous searches at Amazon, I came up with a source that offered small 25ft spools. Check them out here...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XESS9E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3IHVK7SOJGEA7

That's actually what I have in mind, have a core that is the inside diameter of the hose I'm replicating, then shrink the tube to the core. I've used a similar method on other scale projects with success.

That's actually what I have in mind, have a core that is the inside diameter of the hose I'm replicating, then shrink the tube to the core. I've used a similar method on other scale projects with success.

Hey, I had completely forgotten that it can be shrunk to the size of the wire! Thanks for the reminder!