Model Cars Magazine Forum

Accurate, Modern US Trailer Kits?

I'm trying to come up with a list of accurate modern US trailers to plan out future projects. The list of modern US tractors is short, but the list of trailers seems to be even shorter. Yes, scratch building or modifying is an option, but I really want to consider all kit options first.

The Italeri US reefer is a no. Not accurate. AMT kits? No, not modern. So I only have a few I can think of:

1/25 Scale:

Moebius 53' Reefer

Moebius Smooth Side 53'

Revell Auto Transporter (I guess this is modern enough that you still see similiar trailers on the road today)

Revell Heavy Tank Trailer

1/24 Scale:

Revell Beall Tanker

Am I missing any other kits, in or out of production? Any resin conversions, etc? Thanks

I guess it depends on what you consider modern? Also the type of trailer, box van reefer, curtain sider flatbed, drop deck, lowboy, and or specialized trailers.

For a more modern type dump Gary Wallace has a very nice frameless dump. And lowboys are a good scratch build project. Though there are a few resin offerings available. I just got one from KJ Humphreys. It seems a nice kit.

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

I guess it depends on what you consider modern? Also the type of trailer, box van reefer, curtain sider flatbed, drop deck, lowboy, and or specialized trailers.

For a more modern type dump Gary Wallace had a very nice frameless dump. And lowboys are a good scratch build project. Though there are a few resin offerings available. I just got one from KJ Humphreys. It seems a nice kit.

Be Well

Gator

True, "modern" is up for interpretation. To me, it is what you typically see on the roads today. Yes, there are vintage trailers still used in certain cases, but I'm thinking about rigs you'll see at truck stops. I'll check out Gary's list, he emailed me his product line a little while back. I'll also check out KJ's website.

And Clayton, I do remember seeing some great mods of the Italeri dump trailer on this forum. I'll check them out again.Thanks

I heard the Revell of Germany 48ft trailer is too short (height).  Can someone confirm this?

If the RoG 48 footer is the same as the Italeri, then yes, way off. I have one, it'll be used as parts for a straight truck someday.

Another questions is . What tractors are you planning on building?  Aside from the two from Moebius. Or possibly some resin .I do not know of much that qualifies as modern?

So let's be a bit more specific for the sake of conversation. What time period are you talking about? I read what you are saying  as like stuff from the last ten or fifteen years??

Be Well

Gator

There's not a whole lot more than what you have listed. Luckily most modern trailers are pretty easy to scratch build, or to build by modifying existing kits. I would much rather scratch build a modern trailer than a modern truck.

There's not a whole lot more than what you have listed. Luckily most modern trailers are pretty easy to scratch build, or to build by modifying existing kits. I would much rather scratch build a modern trailer than a modern truck.

Absolutely.

Specifically, I was looking at my options of what to put behind my Prostar and VNL 780. The Moebius trailers will work (though it looks a tiny bit small behind the Volvo in the pictures I've seen, but it'll do), but I was taking inventory of what else is available. Thanks

Another questions is . What tractors are you planning on building?  Aside from the two from Moebius. Or possibly some resin .I do not know of much that qualifies as modern?

So let's be a bit more specific for the sake of conversation. What time period are you talking about? I read what you are saying  as like stuff from the last ten or fifteen years??

Be Well

Gator

Edited by vincen47

Absolutely.

Specifically, I was looking at my options of what to put behind my Prostar and VNL 780. The Moebius trailers will work (though it looks a tiny bit small behind the Volvo in the pictures I've seen, but it'll do), but I was taking inventory of what else is available. Thanks

The difference is most likely a scale thing, the Italeri Volvo VN 780 is 1:24th scale and the Moebius trailers are 1:25th scale.

Edited by Force

Actually, now that you mention it, I set a smooth side Moebius trailer behind my Recent Volvo build....I looks pretty good, as far as height and length.....Definitely taller than that Italeri "misproduction" 48'er that they tried to later pass off as a 53'er (That's another story, though)......In 1/24 scale, it may look more like a 52'er, but if you use Italeri rims and tires, you'll get away with it....I plan on doing this to put behind a red Volvo I built years ago.....From what I can see, the Italeri wheels will fit the axles without much modification, if any.....

SAM_7075%201024x561_zpsyniu4m9i.jpg

Also, Italeri did produce some race trailers for their Euro stuff.....If you splice a couple of them, together, you can build up a pretty good 53'er.....

Edited by kilrathy10

Actually, now that you mention it, I set a smooth side Moebius trailer behind my Recent Volvo build....I looks pretty good, as far as height and length.....Definitely taller than that Italeri "misproduction" 48'er that they tried to later pass off as a 53'er (That's another story, though). 

Italeri haven't directly been known to make true kits all the time, they take shortcuts both here and there and try to pass off many things for what they are not, so the trailers are just one thing.