Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Brockway Mixer rebuild.....

well guys.....as if I dont have enough on my plate......I decided to help a friend out. A friend of mine had this mixer built to replicate an old Brockway mixer that his father had at a cement company that he ran here in Upstate N.Y.  Its called Cortland Ready-Mix in Cortland N.Y. Well the guy that built this truck for him messed it all up. so many thing are not right on it. So he brought it to me and wanted it done right he said...lol.....So here we go!!!

Oh....Im sorry.... these photos are of the truck as it is now. Yes it is a AITM drum kit. I believe the cab and all is from Dave as well. The rear fenders are to long....the tandems arent right...the water tank is not right as well as the drum.......got a lot of work ahead....but I think it will turn out fine.

Hey no problem. I am interested in the project and just had to ask.

Why is the water tank not correct? The old mixers all had the tank mounted up high. One of the reasons the moved them down low. Was fall injuries....... read OSHA.

Where I used to live in South Florida in the late 60's early 70's, there were not many Brockway mixers if any . Mostly KW and Mack. But lots of Brockway dump trucks. I know I loaded  enough of them over the years.

Be Well

Gator

Okay, I was just wondering and replying to your comment. I've pulled a few buckets of mud from behind mixers over the years ! I kinda miss running equipment....... but then I also like being retired and on permanent vacation!!! lol Anyway. So how do you like the AITM mixer kit? I am thinking about getting one. Be Well Gator

Bill.....you have your hands full for sure

What you have there...is from another well know (out-spoken) New York builder. I have seen it in person

Now seeing the actual photo of the real truck.....a few things are off for sure.....good luck in your rebuild.

Edited by Turbo590

Not to sound stupid Terry...... but Im not to sure. I dont know a whole lot about all the Brockway models...lol.... But I will be posting pics of what Im changing over and correcting. Its going to be a chore.:o

We'll the truck in the two pics is a 359(300 series cab), and the model your rebuilding is a 759(same cab Mack used). I was just wondering if there was a certain truck you were trying to replicate, or if Cortland ran both models. As you can see, the cabs are very different and the grill is narrower and the fenders are wider on the 359. I was just curious. I'm looking forward to the progress!

Bill.....you have your hands full for sure

What you have there...is from another well know (out-spoken) New York builder. I have seen it in person

Now seeing the actual photo of the real truck.....a few things are off for sure.....good luck in your rebuild.

So it was the "out spoken one" that built that!! Thought it looked familiar. 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally the first thing I would do is tear the whole thing apart - I've seen the model in person and it sits on a paystar chassis which doesn't splay out in front like macks and brockways do ur better off using mack dm800 frame rails ( many people don't realize that Brockway frame rails were almost identical to macks considering they owned them since the 50's) next I would call dave Natale ( aitm ) and get the rest of the challenge mixer running gear ( u have a challenge drum with a rex front and rear pedistall the tip of the drum doesn't line up in back ) - here's some pics of 2 brockway 361 mixers I'm working on 

20150901_005709.jpg

20150831_140245.jpg

20150831_141055.jpg

20150902_185523.jpg

20150902_132710.jpg

• 2 weeks later...