Model Cars Magazine Forum

Navistar to Build GM Class 4/5 Trucks In 2018

Not sure how many of you folks saw this, but it looks like Navistar will be building class 4 and 5 medium duty trucks for GM beginning in 2018.  It looks like they'll use use GM engines and body on a Navistar rolling chassis.  With Ram and Ford controlling 85% of the market, GM decided it needed to get back into that segment.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2015/09/30/gm-navistar/73079814/

• 2 weeks later...

Mixed feelings about this. Navistar could use the additional volume, but on the other hand, I'm trying to think of any instance where a partnership with GM didn't end up eventually screwing the other party, and I'm coming up with nothing...

I agree. GM is such a giant, that Navistar stands little chance of NOT getting screwed, in the big picture. Hopefully Navistar has done their due diligence and keeps their back against the wall!

I agree. GM is such a giant, that Navistar stands little chance of NOT getting screwed, in the big picture. Hopefully Navistar has done their due diligence and keeps their back against the wall!

GM buyout in the works?? 

I used to teach at Twin Valley (2005-06,) and had a few kids from Readsboro. Miss it up there. Beautiful area, nice people.

Charlie Larkin