Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 axle Snap Pete, Hettinga Tranportation. Poor mans 379. update 3-1

I really haven't been in the mood. Haven't really thought about doing anything, or had those " I want to build that" moments. I've had a few kinda big family and financial issues hit me lately. But, this isn't the place to go into any of it.

Now that I dug and found the thread, I pulled this out hoping the distraction would help with everything else thats a hurricane thats in my mind.

I started doing some putty work. I'm gonna start on the frame, shortening and making it a single drive axle. I'm not sure if I'll cut the 5th wheel plate off or cut the 5th wheel blocks off and make new ones. I'm leaning toward making new blocks. I'm also undecided if I want to paint the motor CAT yellow or go with red to match the body. I'm also tossing around the idea of updating the motor to have an air to air cooler. 

I'll post some once I have something better than a pic of putty.

Good to see you picking this up again!

Take your time Clayton.  You'll get things ironed out.  If I know anything with my 65yrs., I've learned to be patient.  You can't control everything and sometimes life can give you a whooping, but take your time and with reason things will either work for you the way you hope or you will become attuned to the way things have otherwise become.  Day by day we're handed a pile of stuff we don't need or want.  Days go by, so does the trash most of the time.  You'll get back into it with some time.

I always like what you're up to, so hang in there and you'll bounce back like a champ.

Thanks Dennis. The little bit that I've done so far has been a nice distraction.

Mark, thanks for the encouragement. Since I have the day off tomorrow, and I'm broke right now, I'm gonna get a little more done.

Thank you Michael.i know I'll get through these rough times, it's just a matter of dealing with them for now. 

I managed to get the first round of sanding done. The putty is sanded, the cab has been massaged and the fenders have been altered. I removed the fender steps, 359 fender marker light, removed the side hood emblems and massaged the edges of the fenders to make it a "Po'Boy". I think the mods to the cab and hood area of the intake came out pretty good. Next I'll do a little more sanding and another coat of primer.

Thanks Gino.

This is the wheelbase I'm going for. It's right at 200 inches. The stance will be slightly different, a little lower in the front and a hair higher in the back (maybe). I'm hopin to get the first color on today, Testors Graphite Dust on both the frame and body. I'm probably gonna work on the Vortox style air cleaners today too.

That's looking really good Clayton. I hope the personal stuff ain't to major. Last year was all family stuff for me and it looks like I get the financial this year, but at least it was broke up, both at the same time I'm pulling my hair out just thinking about it?

Thanks Rich. A buddy of mine has the thing going on, for same reason. He spoke to a professional that gave him good news, so I'm hopeful my financial stuff is gonna be fine, just gettin to that point is the rough part now, the unknown. The family stuff is better now, but still not all that great. It'll be a rough road the next few weeks or so. 

I'm glad I have this hobby for the distraction.

Clayton,

Glad to see you back at the workbench and bringing this project up . What you've done is looking pretty good thus far.

As for the life things . I always look at what is going in my life and then think about  someone somewhere has it much worse than me.

Plus as you said having the hobby is a great stress reliever!

Be Well

Gator

Thanks for the support Gator.

Here's what I decided for the motor. I painted it to match the body. The colors are Duplicolor  Cherry Red, Testors Gunmetal, then cleared with Tamiya Pearl Clear. The pics make the gunmetal looks black and the pearl like it's not there. But in person it looks exactly how I wanted. 

I'm runnin out of daylight. I'm hoping to get the frame painted before I put things away for the day. I got the cab finish sanded and ready to start with the paint work. I'll post more pics once the frame is painted.

Here's the frame. I think this is the smoothest seam on a frame splice I've ever done. I'm very pleased with the results.

Now, the cab is another story. The paint reacted with base coat for some reason, used the same on the frame. It ran immediately. So in the purple pond it went quickly. Hopefully it'll be ready for next weekend.

This is looking great Clayton.

I hope everything comes around for you soon. I to have gone through some tough financial times after a divorce. Things do get better as time goes by. In the meantime, building is a nice escape.

Rob