Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build help/question.

Geno

Hey guys, I think this forum gets the most hits so I thought it would be the best place to ask to get a quicker response. I'm in the middle of a build and I'll be using resin parts for the first time, what's the best way to prep resin parts before painting them? Thanks, Geno.

Wash them in warm water, mild soap and a tooth brush (an old one will do) to get all the mold release off. Mold release will keep the paint from sticking. Some use Westley's Bleach cleaner it used to clean the whitewalls of tires etc (you can get it at most auto parts stores I`ve even seen it at places like Wal-Mart in the auto supple section). If you use the Westley`s let part soak overnight and then rinse. Whichever method you use after the rinse let the parts air dry.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

You'll want to remove any mold release agent on the parts to avoid any fisheyes in the paint or primer.  Either soak the parts in a tub of Westleys Bleche White for a day (get it at an Auto Parts Store) and then rinse them with warm water and an old toothbrush, or, thoroughly wash the parts with Dawn dishwashing soap under warm running water using an old toothbrush (not too hot.. you don't want to soften or deform the parts).  After they've been washed remove any "flash".  Then let the parts air dry for a day, then you can prime and paint them as you normally would.