Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting in an apartment

As stated, I'm in an apartment. There are several dilemmas I face currently...

It's getting colder in NJ. I'm new to painting models but I'm almost positive spray painting outside in this kind of weather (45 degrees) isn't good for my project. Can anyone chime in on that?

Also, I'm starting a project right now. Of course there are a million small pieces. Do you have to sand all of them? Also, does EVERYTHING get primed? (I did wash everything in soap and water before I started the build)

I use Testors enamel paints with a paint brush on the interior. I'm probably doing something wrong because when I paint the seats or large interior surfaces, the paint doesn't look uniform and it looks sloppy.

I would love to learn how to airbrush but that's not even close to being in my budget now so I'll have to use spray cans and the enamel.

One thing at a time.

1. The million small pieces. Every one of them probably has a mold line that needs to be removed. If the part is going to be flat black or silver, I don't usually prime. If it's going to be body color, it gets primed.

2. Bottle and brush paints are for details only in my opinion. Near everything can and should be spray painted. Krylon has a nice line of flat paints that work great for interiors.

3. Nothing wrong with spray paints. Don't sweat it. 

4. The cold. Here's what I have done. Fill a pot with hot tap water. Set the can of paint in the tap water for about ten minutes. Keep the plastic at room temp and set them up on a paper plate or something you can carry easliy. Remove the paint from the water, dry the can, and shake thoroughly. Grab the plastic, step outside, spray in a windless area. Step back inside and let the parts dry in a place where you can control the amount of dust at, room temperature. 

I'm in an apartment myself. I do have the benefit of an indoor spray booth, but I only use it for spraying bodies, everything else is outdoors. It's more challenging, but with proper planning, very do-able.

One thing at a time.

1. The million small pieces. Every one of them probably has a mold line that needs to be removed. If the part is going to be flat black or silver, I don't usually prime. If it's going to be body color, it gets primed.

2. Bottle and brush paints are for details only in my opinion. Near everything can and should be spray painted. Krylon has a nice line of flat paints that work great for interiors.

4. The cold. Here's what I have done. Fill a pot with hot tap water. Set the can of paint in the tap water for about ten minutes. Keep the plastic at room temp and set them up on a paper plate or something you can carry easliy. Remove the paint from the water, dry the can, and shake thoroughly. Grab the plastic, step outside, spray in a windless area. Step back inside and let the parts dry in a place where you can control the amount of dust at, room temperature. 

I'm in an apartment myself. I do have the benefit of an indoor spray booth, but I only use it for spraying bodies, everything else is outdoors. It's more challenging, but with proper planning, very do-able.

What he says. Proper preparation prevents P-poor product. Get rid of seams and irregularities on everything. Prime everything it helps see mold  lines, I use a Dupli-Color sandable spray can type then sand it smooth. #4 is great, the only thing I would add is to make a stand for the parts and buy some of those resealable plastic shoebox type bins. As soon as you are through painting, put the parts in one to dry. It helps keep dust off the fresh paint and minimizes the fumes when you bring the parts in to dry. 

Actually, lacquer-based paints tend to work better in cooler weather. Anything above about 25-30 degrees is good.

Before I ended up back home a few years ago, I painted outside at my little senior studio apartment regularly. 

This is how I did it. 

Get a small table, folding might be easier if you have to cart anything a ways. I lived in an apartment with a curb-side entry and two steps down to the sidewalk, and had a small one-foot square stand.

Upon said table, place a 10-ream paper box on it. If the bottom has a gap, run a couple of pieces of tape over it (inside and outside) to prevent accidents.

Invest in some good paint aids. Little Motor Kar Ko. offers a very nice paint stand for about $10 that works well for many bodies. I'd also recommend buying the Tamiya paint-stand set; each body stand has its advantages and you'll find which one you perfer. The other Tamiya stand has clips on it for small parts and trees. 

Small, loose parts can can secured with painter's tap on toothpicks or popsicle sticks and painted.

Paint as you need. Leave the parts outside for a few minutes for the worst of the stink to pass, and bring everything in to dry in a warmer environment. 

I agree with Rob- lacquer or enamel, warm the can first. It helps with paint atomization and you actually get more paint out of the can due to the increased pressure. 

Enamels can also be applied outside, however, they need to be brought in quickly or the paint won't harden right, as enamel dries by catalyst. Best bet is to do your painting before going out, and place the box in your bathroom and turn on the vent-fan. 

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

One thing you didn't mention.

Do you have gas heat or electric? If it's gas, NO spray painting inside. I used to live in an apartment. Take it outside just long enough to paint it. Not on a windy day,and not by anyone's car. I prefer Tamiya paints more and more over Testot's. Fast drying,and water cleanup. It sounds like you're new at this. brush painting  takes practice. The right brush with the right paint (thinned if needed) makes all the difference. Yes,spray paint works best on the bigger areas. Good luck.

About brush painting...are you using a cheap hobby shop brush? Get the best quality you can afford to buy. Also maybe thinning the paint will help the paint lay smooth. Testor's bottle paints can be on the thick side if you are using the small glass (plastic?) bottles. Also one smoothly applied row (slightly overlapped) of paint at a time. Do not try and go over the paint again as it will get uneven.

One thing at a time.

What line of Krylon specifically? I've had some that are just too thick for modeling and I always find myself sticking with Testors. I'd love to have more quantity of paint for the same price as a 3 oz rattle can.