Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model King / Moebius Joe Weatherly '61 Catalina

S. Svendsen

Indeed, thank you Bill G. for the how to on the glass fitting. I have to say that in all this kit to me was something of a disappointment. There are no suspension parts for a NASCAR modded racer, there are some nice additions though for the interior and engine. I was originally planning to buy at least 4 kits but after some thought I decided 2 was my limit. I really wanted to make the Fireball Robert's 61 racer but Powerslide decals did the numbers in gold foil, which is wrong for anything except the redone (incorrectly) showcar 62 Catalina. The Robert's car for 1961 had door numbers in a metallic silver, not foil and the 62 had numbers in metallic gold, again, not foil. So my decal choices helped me determine I only needed 2 kits,

I have to be honest and say that my interest in NASCAR anything has greatly diminished.

Indeed, thank you Bill G. for the how to on the glass fitting. I have to say that in all this kit to me was something of a disappointment. There are no suspension parts for a NASCAR modded racer, there are some nice additions though for the interior and engine. I was originally planning to buy at least 4 kits but after some thought I decided 2 was my limit. I really wanted to make the Fireball Robert's 61 racer but Powerslide decals did the numbers in gold foil, which is wrong for anything except the redone (incorrectly) showcar 62 Catalina. The Robert's car for 1961 had door numbers in a metallic silver, not foil and the 62 had numbers in metallic gold, again, not foil. So my decal choices helped me determine I only needed 2 kits,

I have to be honest and say that my interest in NASCAR anything has greatly diminished.

Thanks for that, Bill. Very helpful! :)

Both of you are most welcome! I know that glass issue is a sore spot for a lot of guys with this kit. I can understand what Moebius was trying to do as this is how the 1:1 is done. Still, for those that are unfamiliar with this type of construction, it can be a bit daunting. 

If you need anymore help with this (the 8 lug wheel offset bugged me too), feel free to drop me a line. ;)

James, I kinda doubt they fix that. It would involve quite a bit of tooling change to redo those window channels, not to mention new tooling for glass as you'd have to change the trim, depth, etc.

It's a bit tedious, but if you've never seen it-------I did a tutorial here on how to get the glass to fit and definitely improve the overall appearance of it. 

Looks like on the Mercury Comet kit the glass fits better with the method they're using. I guess they read the complaints here and made that step not so hair pulling.

Yes I've seen it, and it's very helpful.  However a $30 "state of the art" model kit shouldn't need that much work just to make something as simple to assembly as "glass fit" work as it should.  In the case of this NASCAR kit, it's a Model King release meaning there's no 40% Hobby Lobby deal to be had here, you're paying the full price. So the least they could do is fix the glaring issue to an otherwise acceptable model kit.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up my Moebius/Model King NASCAR Catalina yesterday, and here are a few things which I have noticed so far.

1) The 'Pontiac' script in the grille is now included. I will have to swap out the grille/bumper unit for the one in my Ventura.

2) The new NASCAR pieces look pretty nice, though the roll bar tubing looks a bit anemic compared to today's stockers.

The only question I have for the company is: Who was the individual who thought that gluing the master cylinder to the heater block-off plate was accurate? (I will give Sven the benefit of the doubt here, since I don't see his name listed as the builder). :P

Overall, it's definitely worth buying if you like the subject matter. I will probably end up buying a second one, just so the first one doesn't get lonely.

• 6 months later...
On 8/3/2017 at 6:18 AM, 64Comet404 said:

I picked up my Moebius/Model King NASCAR Catalina yesterday, and here are a few things which I have noticed so far.

1) The 'Pontiac' script in the grille is now included. I will have to swap out the grille/bumper unit for the one in my Ventura.

2) The new NASCAR pieces look pretty nice, though the roll bar tubing looks a bit anemic compared to today's stockers.

The only question I have for the company is: Who was the individual who thought that gluing the master cylinder to the heater block-off plate was accurate? (I will give Sven the benefit of the doubt here, since I don't see his name listed as the builder). :P

Overall, it's definitely worth buying if you like the subject matter. I will probably end up buying a second one, just so the first one doesn't get lonely.

Agreed, the firewall is mirrored, , someone goofed up.