Model Cars Magazine Forum

My '29 five day box stock+ challenge - finished (in under glass)

mrm

I bought three of the not so new anymore Revell '29 Roadster. I got them on three separate occasions from Lobby Hobby using their 40% off coupon. That comes to about "buy two get one free" status.

So the first one I wanted to build "quick'n dirty", just to see how the whole thing comes together. I was painting a 1:18 diecast, so decided to use the occasion and the paint already loaded in my airbrush. Because I have like a million other projects, I challenged myself to finish this one in Five days. Today being day three. So, I thought it would be cool to make it box stock+ (not a fan of the wheels in the kit for this particular build), which is really not my thing at all, honestly. 

So here are the body and frame painted in a PPG Jaguar Green.

EMjQBG.jpg

It is a really dark but very rich green that looks almost black in most cases, but really comes alive once hit by light

bckrmk.jpg

Then I thought that I don't want any graphics or crazy colors on this build, but if it is going to be box stock, then it needed something to shine with. And then it hit me. SHINE! So All the chassis, drivetrain and engine components are going to be chrome. Obviously I can not fit chrome plating in 5 days, so I decided to try my hand at Alclad. This is only my second time using it. And let's say that the first time was not one of my proudest moments. LOL

Here are the components I did plated-on-a-budget

1lQNmr.jpg

Thanks for looking and stay tuned…..

Edited by mrm

Just a quick mock up after I painted the interior. I may add a little green accent piping, but have not decided on it yet. What bugs me is making decision on the grille. I don't want it chrome. But if I paint the insert black, like most '29s are done, it kind of gets lost and too dark. I did find pictures of some '29 rods that have the inserts in the grille silver, but I am hesitant to do it. 

Decisions, decisions…….

So this baby is done. I just have to trickle in the pictures. 

First the interior got its piping picked out in the same green as the body. Because it is an automotive paint, it dries flat. 

The floor was sprayed with some Krylon textured spray, to keep it eligible for a box stock class if I ever enter it in a contest. 

Thanks for looking and stay tuned…..

After the "stone" paint was dry, I hand brushed some Tamiya dark green paint very lightly. This lets just a touch of the stone's grey through. Then I shot the floor with Dull Coat. This created the nice effect of a "wool carpet". The pedals are done with Alclad and the shifter ball was done in gold flake nailpolish with clear blue (Tamiya), which makes for a pretty cool vintage candy parts, like the ones made by Moon. 

The dash is painted same as the body, but just livened up a little by some simple pinstriping. 

Very nice. I feel really bad now, for working on one box stock car for three months!

Don't!

We all have different pace we feel comfortable with. I have some projects that are literally started last century. LOL

By the way, the model is done and it is in "the under glass" section. 

Edited by mrm