Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 72 CHEVELLE SS QUESTION........

general question for the AMT 72 CHEVELLE SS kit.....just got this kit, its stock no. is 31933, red built car on box, tan and gold checkers on box art....I have  built a couple of  1970s issues 72 Chevelles of AMTs back many years ago,,,,and I notice something strange with this issue.....the chrome back bumper has the rear splash pan molded under the bumper,,,,:o,,,yet the kit also supplies the gray plastic, separate splash pan  like the kits I built years ago.... so, asking our forum members that have built this more recent issue,,,,do I trim off the pan  molded on the bumper....and then paint body color and install the gray plastic one as I did in the 70s issues,,,or,,, mask off and spray body color the chrome attached unit under the bumper I mentioned above.......I know that both AMT and MPC made many versions of  72 chevelles thru the decades, so I am left wondering if this newer kit is a combo of all the old parts and such grouped together,,,, and what you folks think the tried and true approach would be to solve  this hang up....I thank you in advance on your thoughts, boys...........the Ace.........:D

Edited by AC Norton
text

I left it in place and painted it body color. That rear bumper is so much nicer than the original that when I rebuilt my 71 Chevelle annual I used it instead and did the same. The original kits had smooth bumpers that were missing some of the molded in body lines and no rear SS emblems.

Original AMT 71 Chevelle SS before rebuild.

Same 71 Chevelle SS after.

and my 72 Chevelle SS.

general question for the AMT 72 CHEVELLE SS kit.....just got this kit, its stock no. is 31933, red built car on box, tan and gold checkers on box art....I have  built a couple of  1970s issues 72 Chevelles of AMTs back many years ago,,,,and I notice something strange with this issue.....the chrome back bumper has the rear splash pan molded under the bumper,,,,:o,,,yet the kit also supplies the gray plastic, separate splash pan  like the kits I built years ago.... so, asking our forum members that have built this more recent issue,,,,do I trim off the pan  molded on the bumper....and then paint body color and install the gray plastic one as I did in the 70s issues,,,or,,, mask off and spray body color the chrome attached unit under the bumper I mentioned above.......I know that both AMT and MPC made many versions of  72 chevelles thru the decades, so I am left wondering if this newer kit is a combo of all the old parts and such grouped together,,,, and what you folks think the tried and true approach would be to solve  this hang up....I thank you in advance on your thoughts, boys...........the Ace.........:D

Very nice looking Chevelles. You mentioned the box art , the tan and gold checkers on the box especially. Was this kit bought new in a store, or at a swap meet? The reason is that at one time several years ago Wal Mart sold reissued AMT kits with such markings. They would often have a mix of different issues of the same model in the box. This was great for the spare part stash.  I agree with you on the chrome bumper and rear valance combo part. In the past I've just sanded and then masked the lower panel and painted it to match.   

I left it in place and painted it body color. That rear bumper is so much nicer than the original that when I rebuilt my 71 Chevelle annual I used it instead and did the same. The original kits had smooth bumpers that were missing some of the molded in body lines and no rear SS emblems.

Original AMT 71 Chevelle SS before rebuild.

71Chevelle2.jpg

Same 71 Chevelle SS after.

71CHEVLLAB.jpg

and my 72 Chevelle SS.

72CHVLLB.jpg

Very nice looking Chevelles. You mentioned the box art , the tan and gold checkers on the box especially. Was this kit bought new in a store, or at a swap meet? The reason is that at one time several years ago Wal Mart sold reissued AMT kits with such markings. They would often have a mix of different issues of the same model in the box. This was great for the spare part stash.  I agree with you on the chrome bumper and rear valance combo part. In the past I've just sanded and then masked the lower panel and painted it to match.   

thanks boys, for the input. Raoul, your cars look great, so i'll just wet sand , tape, and paint  the one under  bumper.... and David, I got this kit at a model event just yesterday, along with many other kits, but wanted to get building details to make notes for upcoming builds. again, cheers guys for the fast and accurate answers.......best,....the Ace.....:lol:

Edited by AC Norton
text

The '72 was backdated to a '70 by Ertl some years ago.  After that, they or RC2 decided they wanted to reissue the '72 again.  Apparently the original '72 bumper tooling was destroyed or discarded in the '70 backdate, so new '72 bumpers were created.  The new rear bumper might be better but the front one is worse.  It has been reissued as both '70 and '72 since then, so apparently it can be switched back and forth now.  I was going to try to rework that later '72 into a '71, but later found a savable '71.