Model Cars Magazine Forum

Studio outtakes

Harry P.

As all of you know by now, I'm a huge music fan, and an even "huger" Beatles fan. I have the Beatles anthology discs that include all sorts of studio outtakes and unreleased versions of songs. It's interesting to be able to hear so many of their most famous songs while they were still works in progress. I found this on youtube... an apparently early version of "I'm a Loser," before they decided to add John's harmonica part. And Paul's harmony vocal is very different from the final version. But actually better, IMO.

Interesting version, and yep I agree I like the vocals better on this than the final. I wonder if they tried it with George Electric? It would have filled the void that Johns Harmonica filled in the final cut were George and John wired.

Cool. I always thought the shared microphone was a stage thing. Studio short of mics? :P

In the early days, George Martin recorded and mixed everything for best reproduction on monaural vinyl. He hated the "rechanneled for stereo" versions. So it seems to make sense they'd share a microphone.

He also did not approve of the first CD versions.

Edited by sjordan2

If you are a Beatles fan and don't have the Beatles Anthology DVD box set, you need to get it. There are dozens of studio outtakes, alternate versions of songs, songs the Beatles recorded but never released, etc. It's absolutely fascinating to hear the songs we all know so well as they were being created. It's almost like sitting in the recording studio, watching the guys do their thing. I actually prefer some of the "alternate" versions to the released versions we all know so well. No Beatles fan should be without this set.

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Anthology-John-Lennon/dp/B00008GKEG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1458167665&sr=1-1&keywords=the+beatles+anthology+box+set

You are so right Harry,I like this version very much.

I am sure you have the "Naked" CD. What do you think of that one.

I found it interesting.

Actually, I am so used to hearing the released versions of the songs with all of Spector's embellishments that when hearing them stripped down without all the extra "frosting on the cake," they sound odd to me. I guess it's all about what you're used to. But of course, an interesting album, for sure... especially to a Beatles fan. B)

Harry...this weekend I dug out my own Beatles anthology CD set after reading an article in the Friday Wall Street Journal explaining the creative process that resulted in Strawberry Fields Forever.  I too find these earlier mixes and versions to be fascinating listening.  

Also it jogged my memory that perhaps the most fun cut of all is on Anthology 2, Disc 1, track 19..."And Your Bird Can Sing".  This is the version where one of the Beatles blows several lines in the first verse or two, then they all bust out laughing near the end of the song...  

TIM 

Harry...this weekend I dug out my own Beatles anthology CD set after reading an article in the Friday Wall Street Journal explaining the creative process that resulted in Strawberry Fields Forever.  I too find these earlier mixes and versions to be fascinating listening.  

Also it jogged my memory that perhaps the most fun cut of all is on Anthology 2, Disc 1, track 19..."And Your Bird Can Sing".  This is the version where one of the Beatles blows several lines in the first verse or two, then they all bust out laughing near the end of the song...  

TIM 

Yeah, I love those "live in the studio" moments.

Coincidentally... "And Your Bird Can Sing" is probably my favorite Beatles song of all. B)