Model Cars Magazine Forum

Road Drones: Self Driving Trucks Cross Europe

some years ago mercedes benz did that already , only with 2 truck,s for testing

the truck,s you see on this video are take near by my livingplace and work

but i think it wil be tricky in the rushhour,s with this setup

there is a lot of intersections on that road

but its impressive

jacobus

Not long ago,  a trucker from the East Block caused an accident on the German autobahn.  Right by his side was a girlie magazine, which was later found after the rescue folks were confused because the gentleman was without pants.  Go figure. 

Maybe with this technology, some dudes will have more time to attend other things than the road ahead.

Maybe yet another generation of the renowned steering wheel holders?

I would like to know . What will happen when the WiFi signal fades or disappears??? This idea while not new is kinda scary. I doubt anyone could program the computers to be able to predict and avoid  some of today's crazy drivers!!  I mean puttinging a automatic braking system to assist a driver is one thing. But I don't think that we are ready for automated trucks. Besides .What about the jobs that will be lost??

Couldn't watch the video as my WiFi signal is bouncing around and the site would not load!!!

Be Well

Gator

I would like to know . What will happen when the WiFi signal fades or disappears??? This idea while not new is kinda scary.

That's what bothers me about the whole idea. I'm certainly not against "progress" and the forward march of technology, but electronic and mechanical systems DO fail, and the more complex they are, the more likely they are to fail at some point. Thinking of an 80,000 pound truck being piloted by Microsoft kinda makes me want to stay home. ;)

As you note, signal interruption is a very valid concern too, whether it's simple RF from towers or a GPS signal from a satellite.

Maybe the developers of the tech have run the numbers, and find that the failure rate of these systems looks to be lower than the stupidity rate of human operators, so the possible "losses" are considered acceptable, because they show an improvement.

Just a thought. B)

I was just reading about some of the driverless tech here in the US. It works fine in lab conditions but they are finding it hard to make reliable in the real world. Bandwidth is a major issue as is combining driverless vehicles with human drivers, pedestrians, wildlife.

They also found real world roads a big problem compared to a perfect track. Human drivers are much better at avoiding pot holes, and other hazards. I'll try to find the article, I just read it within the past month.