Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nitrile gloves

I recently painted a model and wound up with a dozen or more fish eyes all over the place. It had already gotten two coats of primer with no issues. This is Rustoleum 2X primer and paint, BTW.

This has never happened to me before. The only thing that was different this time was I handled the model with a nitrile glove while tack-ragging it. Before this session I had been using vinyl gloves and ran out of them.

Has anyone ever had an issue with nitrile gloves? If it's not the nitrile itself, then perhaps there was some other contamination on the glove. 

Your gloves could very possibly have been contaminated during manufacture.

It's NOT the nitrile that does it, rather it's the possible lubricants the factory used on the machines or to ease some processing step.

Different manufacturers use different processes, and many Chinese manufacturers are notoriously sloppy about following specifications, contamination, etc.

I don't like fisheyes, I don't like re-dos, and I try to avoid handling things I'm just about to paint. I've been known to wash my gloved hands with isopropyl alcohol before handling a model before paint, just to head off any potential problems.

Another note: A tack rag won't remove contamination, as you probably know. It will take off lint and dust, but just smear contaminants like silicone all over the model.

My final step just prior to painting is a wipe down with lintless white paper towels and iso alcohol. I got in the habit while painting real high-end cars and aircraft, where a re-do can cost you thousands of dollars. Since I started using the iso wipe in 2009, I've had zero problems...except for once when I forgot, after a model had been sitting on the bench for a while, in primer, prior to paint.

My final step just prior to painting is a wipe down with lintless white paper towels and iso alcohol. I got in the habit while painting real high-end cars and aircraft, where a re-do can cost you thousands of dollars. Since I started using the iso wipe in 2009, I've had zero problems...except for once when I forgot, after a model had been sitting on the bench for a while, in primer, prior to paint.

That, sir, is an excellent idea. What brand paper towel do you use?

I don't have an airbrush so I paint with rattle cans. I mount the body or part. on a clothes hanger and hold it in my hand, turning it this way and that for full, even coverage. The purpose of the nitrile glove is to prevent my hand from being painted as well.:)

That, sir, is an excellent idea. What brand paper towel do you use?

I don't have an airbrush so I paint with rattle cans. I mount the body or part. on a clothes hanger and hold it in my hand, turning it this way and that for full, even coverage. The purpose of the nitrile glove is to prevent my hand from being painted as well.:)

Lately I've been using Publix store brand generic recycled fiber towels. After the wipe, I blow the body off with my breath (just have to be careful of saliva). So far, no lint, no fisheyes, no problems.

I paint essentially the same way you do too. Works best for me to turn the work, as you do.

What you REALLY need to do is mount the body on a stand so you don't have to handle it during the painting process. A short piece of 2 x 4 with a couple pieces of "repurposed" wire clothes hanger works well. You've seen them here before. Make something like that, tape the car (on the inside) to the wire, and you are good to go.

Mark

What you REALLY need to do is mount the body on a stand so you don't have to handle it during the painting process. A short piece of 2 x 4 with a couple pieces of "repurposed" wire clothes hanger works well. You've seen them here before. Make something like that, tape the car (on the inside) to the wire, and you are good to go.

Mark

I use a plastic soft drink bottle. Put a piece of double sided tape on the cap and attach the body to it. I put some sand or gravel in the bottom of the bottle to aid in stability. I had a pic on the forum here but can't find it.

I use a plastic soft drink bottle. Put a piece of double sided tape on the cap and attach the body to it. I put some sand or gravel in the bottom of the bottle to aid in stability. I had a pic on the forum here but can't find it.

Yes, that works as well. I painted many a model on a "pop bottle" stand. :)