Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits with Old style BF Goodrich TA Radials

Hey Guys.

I am just wondering about the availability of any kits with the old style BF Goodrich TA radials. I have some from the old Hardcastle and McCormick Coyote X kit but they are a little on the small side for what I want. Were there any other kits released that featured these tyres in larger diameter and wider track ? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers !

I think I have old kits that have TA radials in two different sizes, but I couldn't tell you which. Almost certainly MPCs.

As far as what's available today, who knows? The mfgrs seem to change the tires from reissue to reissue these days.

Check most 80's Annuals!!!

Also, I know the original issue of K.I.T.T had them!!

(Does the last issue??)

And YES MPC had 2 sizes

But I do NOT remember them having both in one kit

I have the smaller in kits like the Dodge Charger 2.2 

Larger on Camaro's, Firebirds, and Vette's

Though Indy used Firestone Or Goodyear those years, I believe

the 82 Camaro & 86 Vette Pace Car kits had  BFG's

The AMT issue Ghostbuster's Ecto-1A SHOULD have had the BFG's but, it had the hollow Goodyears!!

(Original Box Art clearly showed BFG's on the actual car

One thing. The AMT Hollow Goodyears are Slightly larger in diameter that the MPC BFG's!!!!

Was it Tamiya, or Otaki that offered the Big & Little sets with 4 different rims??

I have 2 sets on 5 slot rims with them. (MAYBE correct for the Red & White Stiped Tomato --but finding them now) rims

Would have loved to get the Turbine style (A-Team Van!!--both Front pair of tires Are ON that!!--YES had to add to rim diameter) 

I THINK they May have been offered again by Arii at one time??

MPC made BFG radials in two sizes, small and smaller.  Some of the annual kits had them starting with the '82s.  The Camaro and Firebird had the "bigger" ones with the really small ones going into the Ford EXP and a few other kits.

Every one of those tires I have come across is made from that plastic-softening vinyl that does damage to everything it comes into contact with.  Decal sheets, clear parts, and taillight lenses seem to magnetize themselves to those tires, leaving backwards "BF Goodrich Radial TA" lettering wherever they go.  Buyer beware when it comes to sealed kits.

A couple of months ago I replaced a set of those tires on a '72 GTO that I had built in the early Eighties, from one of those molded-in-red street machine kits.  The tires wrecked the inner wheels as well as the "honeycomb" wheels I had taken from one of the MPC '75 annual kits (Dart, maybe the Chevy Monza) for the original build.  Both halves of each wheel were painted wherever they contacted the tire, still the plasticizer in the vinyl attacked the edges of the wheels.  You might get away with these tires on resin wheels, but I won't bother with them in the future.

Practically every MPC annual kit in the 80's had those (stupid) tyres ! This was especially frustrating when it came to the '84-'87 (or '88) Corvettes ; those cars had VR50's on them from the factory , but MPC didn't see fit to tool up a set for the Vettes (or even the Firebird / Camaro kits) . IMO , those BFG's look like dog dung on an otherwise stock kit . And , yes , they were / are polystyrene eaters . That's esp bad when the glass ( another sore point ! That ridiculously dark glass ruined the look ! )  is their victim :angry:

Some of the old Revell "street machine" kits came with the 2 pc old style BFG's. They can go together nicely with superglue. 

I also have a monza street machine w/ the same tires... it's basically the same kit as the Mustang II but w/ a different body.