Model Cars Magazine Forum

WINGED FIAT ALTERED - Buckling In - 1/10/2017

Nytrozilla

In light of the ALTERED MANIA currently sweeping through the board, I've decided to go with a different body for my Soapy Sales build. So much for the intended Out of the Box category.

The body is adapting nicely to the frame and I'm looking forward to putty once it fits to my liking.

So, wings, wings, wing, wings. She's gonna have side canards, a nose wing and a  Extra Special Super Duper body wing. Plus a mini wing to be named later.

The nose and tail wings came from the Too Much double engine rail. Coincidently, the canards came with the Soapy Sales kit. Who says there's no such thing as Karma?

Let's get started, shall we? Everybody paying attention?

20160910_144820.jpg

First I split the hood to give length to the body and nose.

20160911_092327_001.jpg

Please notice the laughable angle of the nose wing. Looks more like a cow catcher on a locomotive.

20160913_044829.jpg

Here's a couple of wing mounts for the body.

20160913_045807.jpg

And they go something like this.....

20160913_045841.jpg

Next time around, we'll see about that nose droop.

Edited by Nytrozilla

Thanx for Everybody's support!!!! I'm actually having real live fun on this one. Here's another taste.

As you can see, the wing strut fits the contour of the roof just fine. However, I intentionally didn't compensate for side angle. The pins alone were not stable enough to deal with putty and sanding pressures.

A healthy dose of Bob Smith Gap Filler closed the gap and strengthened the base.

Also, I lowered the body which required a little more grinding on the wheel wells. (I almost said "dropped" the body, but that brought back bad memories.) There MIGHT be a 1/16" clearance between the frame tinwork and the body.

This should be the final body mock-up before I move on to the nose and canards. After that, the body hinge and possibly the roof hatch hinge.

Thanks for looking. See ya' then.

20160916_193806.jpg20160916_193849.jpg20160913_133442.jpg20160913_133451.jpg

Joe........way cool man......can`t wait to see this when done

Thank you John. Can't wait to see yours done too. But then again, that's always the case.

Cool project. Lots of wings but that crate will never get off the ground. : )

So, um, Ray, uh, you might change your mind after this update. The problem might be keeping it on the ground.

In case anybody was wondering what took so long, I've been a busy boy. Made a whole gaggle of wings / fins / stabilizers to add to the pre existing wings.

Everything is taped, loose and floppy, but y'all get the idea.The two fins on the inside of the main wing need to be shortened. I just haven't decided how much yet.

I also took 3 attempts to hinge the body and I came up with something that may be unique. However, it's not ready for prime time so we'll do that next time.

Enjoy the pics and thanks for checking in.

20160923_034524_001.jpg20160923_034517.jpg20160923_034448.jpg

Looking good Joe,  the car has some serious wingworx.  No way that thing would go airborne, it would for sure run like it was on rails.  I just noticed, even the blower hat has wings. 

By the way, what's with the blower hardware?  Looks darned good up there on the pulleys!  Whats the deal, can you offer some insight?

Looking good Joe,  the car has some serious wingworx.  No way that thing would go airborne, it would for sure run like it was on rails.  I just noticed, even the blower hat has wings. 

By the way, what's with the blower hardware?  Looks darned good up there on the pulleys!  Whats the deal, can you offer some insight?

Basically what you are seeing is the kit belt assembly. The starter mount hardware is molded in. The reason it looks like it does is, since the plastic is black, all I had to do was scrape away everything that wasn't hardware or a pulley.

I also thinned the belt so it didn't look like it was four belts thick. Then i painted the bolt heads with clear blue and the long rods on top were copper, but it's rubbed off from multiple grubby Minion hands.

Love it. Never can  have enough wings. Sponser should be red bull.

I just might consider that Bob. I was originally thinking "Flying Purple People Eater", but that would be hard to fit on the door. I did find some images that would make for Alien Greatness nose art.

Here is the aforementioned body hinge. It was ultra close quarters at the trunk lid. No room for even a thin "U" shaped bracket with pins. While I was thinking about adding tail lights, that's when it hit me to do a multipurpose part. I bent a couple pieces of plastic rod, drilled a couple of holes near the bumper cut outs..........BUMPER???!!! To heck with lights. I'm cutting up an ice cream stick for a push bar. I did the same thing on my Dragula. I'll include a pic of that at the end..

Remember everybody, I may be old, but I'm slow.

20160923_192806.jpg20160923_192841.jpg20160923_193003.jpg20160923_193011.jpg2007-03-16011.jpg

I'll be spending the next few days organizing my parts supplies. All too often, when I want a part, I have to go through boxes and boxes until I find what I want.

No more. I'm emptying every open box I've got into organizer drawers. This nifty Office Depot buy was  a little pricey at $66 bucks, but it suits my decor.

I'm also in the process of setting up a Proxxon Variable Speed Rotary tool, plus the Drill Stand with X-Y Compound Table.

The Rotary tool is removable and, (I hope), can go slow enough to polish paint without burning the finish. We'll do some experimenting.

See y'all in a few.

20160925_224008.jpg20160925_124518.jpg

Hey Joe, great move on the Proxxon piece.  I'm really nuts about the micro motor, so far its been indestructible.  I'll have to look into the sliding table, don't have that part, just the tilt-able drill press basics.

Just a heads up here, the 2.3mm spindle has caused me some headaches already as it won't hold burs that aren't brand new, not enough friction.  Even some brand new ones won't hold, aggravating.  The 3mm spindle is better, just I use only mandrels in 3mm.  The 3mm shafted burs are hard to come by over here, although expensive cutters for my milling machine come in 3mm shafts. 

Please give us a report on the table and its functions, pretty please? 

Thanks for the warning on the collet / spindle / mandrel sizes Michael. Hey, I found out the tool mount on the Drill Stand rotates!!!!! The possibilities boggle the mind.

I still need to buy a clamp for the table. That's happening soon. Then we get to play.

This has been a rough week y'all. Filled with inept people and the consequences they create that I have to fix. And the depression it inflicts.

Okay, back to business. I managed to carve out some time to empty 9 boxes of partial kits. Even at that, the parts count seems low to me. I must have pillaged and plundered more than I thought.

If that's true, where's the finished models they're supposed to be on? But I found some quality goodies, including hinge mounts for the roof hatch on the altered.

Sorry for the whining. All of you have your own issues.Good to know I have friends here that will listen.

Here's proof I was actually productive.

unnamed%201.jpgunnamed%202.jpgunnamed.jpg

Looks like some good organizational progress...  Now, do you hire out??? :)

I could lend you a couple of Minions Scott, but that might not be the wisest decision you've ever made.

Um, I have no clue how this happened, but, uh, this build just took a turn to the Dark Knight Side. I swear, all I was doing was shortening the middle fins when, "THAT" happened.

I've also given her a name. The Gotham Flyer

unnamed%203.jpgunnamed%201.jpg