Model Cars Magazine Forum

S13 Silvia and Pignose 240SX

rsxse240

So I laid a very sparkly base silver flake over the gray primer, followed by Sinful Colors' "Rich In Heart" dark cherry red pearl.  I hope the flake in the base shows through when I clear coat it.  I gotta let it cure a few days before the clear goes on.  I HAVE to figure out how to spray this stuff and not get that horrible orange peel.

1488085595928-1440667208.jpg

So it looks like I'm using too hot a thinner.  I saw a video posted on YouTube by Tonioseven where he is using the very same paint (brand) and is thinning it with just enamel thinner as opposed to lacquer thinner that I have been using which helps the paint flow out and not dry before it hits the model.

So as a matter of respect, I have to thank Tonioseven for the help he didn't realize he gave.  Lol

I cut out the door panels to detail them a bit.  Built up the "arm rest" and made the door pull cup (it's really difficult to see) and made the door handles from a piece of strip styrene carved into, what I think is, a convincing detail, if not absolutely correct.1488259506631179202317.thumb.jpg.fa9009d

1488259589875403201784.thumb.jpg.326554d

Now, I hope I can get some more work done so I can have it done for Saturday's show in Texas!

Almost done!  I finally have a paint job that I am happy with...Or I'm just super high from the Testors #2017 Lacquer Clear Coat.  Which, by the way, is AWESOME!  It is the first clear coat I've used on the Sinful Color nail polish that didn't craze, haze, fisheye, orange peel or any other adverse reactions (aside from some dust specs).

I, unfortunately won't be done for the 2017 Shoot Out in Farmers Branch, TX in the morning, but I'll bring it for the project class.

Here's a low light midnight pic for you.1488607706189559079802.thumb.jpg.acf02e61488607663906-1889257098.thumb.jpg.fb2b4

Here's one of the interior bucket.  Still needs some dull coat and some CF decals for the seats and some details here and there.1488607925854-96484239.thumb.jpg.2ae5e68

I also have the glass trimmed in black.

1488608170183-750003121.thumb.jpg.8dbae4I guess I can stop stressing about finishing one kit and just enjoy building for a while since it won't meet the deadline.

Stay tuned, I'll be finishing this one up soon!

14886080707521364624094.jpg

It is the first clear coat I've used on the Sinful Color nail polish that didn't craze, haze, fisheye, orange peel or any other adverse reactions (aside from some dust specs).

Ken, I've always used either Dupli-Color Clear or U-Pol Clear over Sinful Colors nail polishes with no problems, have you tired either of those yet?

Sorry I have not made any progress since March 4th.  I've been catching up on the house work since I had neglected it for the last month building models and working on real cars.  I did get my desk cleared away to make room for more progress.  

Stay tuned for more real soon.

• 9 months later...

In my experience, Alumilite smells horrible and the resulting castings are brittle compared to Smooth-On and MicroMark CR300,  my own preference.  That engine does look really good - you should cast copies.

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news.  I tried to fix a spot on the hood so I masked off the rest of the car and fixed the spot and the hood looked perfect!  Then this:

25842.thumb.jpeg.fb0a0e42dbbc08da8bf92b91fa4150bc.jpeg

So to the purple pond it went.  The body work held up all except for some very small touch up spots.  Devistating crisis averted.

New paint job to happen in the near future...with something more durable than acrylic paint.

• 2 weeks later...

The body went into the purple pond and now with the temporary loss of use of my right arm from shoulder surgery, it's going to be a hot minute before any more progress happens with anything.  But there will be a surprise, hopefully before the first weekend of March.

8 hours ago, rsxse240 said:

The body went into the purple pond and now with the temporary loss of use of my right arm from shoulder surgery, it's going to be a hot minute before any more progress happens with anything.  But there will be a surprise, hopefully before the first weekend of March.

Oh man, I love surprises! 

Hope your healing goes well.

• 7 months later...