Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Coronet Cannonball '16 Update (12-20-16) Final Update

TFchronos

WIP of my entry for this years Cannonball (Aussieball) cbp. Hopefully this is in the right category it's a car but it'll be getting mild 4X4 treatment, if it belongs in the Truck section by all means move it. :)

Anyway like I said it'll be getting mild 4X4 treatment along the lines of the Off road Charger from Furious 7. So the front fenders will be cut and widened a little and the rear fenders will be wide bodied out a little too. Color hasn't been decided on yet, likely flat with some amount of weathering, not going to be show quality in the least.

14876403_985080871637775_341612557997277

First time cutting fenders completely off, glad it ended well.

14560034_985080881637774_440015092304237

14856079_985080971637765_514543824094647

14753728_985080944971101_154891666679234

And I though I had gotten a couple of pics of the work on the rear fenders but I guess not.

Will have a few pics of it with primer up later today.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by TFchronos
Updating

I like the concept, just how high are you going with this ?   

Thanks! It'll likely be around the same height as in the last picture. I'm going for good ground clearance but not high enough to be a roll hazard.

You are off to a good start. Are you planning on mount that modern hemi engine you have on the bench in this one?

Thanks! I'm considering it but the engine is a 1/25 and the Coronet is a 1/24 so I looks small in the bay but we'll see.

Thanks Joe, Carl, Richard and Dennis! 

I found a fellow that molds tires on eBay and gives measurements of them. I found a set that's a little smaller than the Jeep's tires so I bought them, I'm thinking they'll look a little better for the build.

Anyway got the body work done and primer on it. Might paint the hood and front fenders black as homage to the '68 Dart Super Stock.

15000662_993984950747367_660844165800795

The rear fenders where widened out about as far as the front fenders were pulled out but it's kinda hard to spot.

14991117_993984954080700_482291545715274

14939972_993984957414033_794794013903987

Thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the look and design I'm going with it's become painfully apparent that 4x4 isn't going to work out. So I'm just going to keep it rwd, beef up the frame, suspension and scratching some independent rear suspension as well. Might a little to late in the game for it but I'm going to try anyway.

Nice!  Due to the look and design I'm go69 crnt 2 photo DSC00461_zpsdmlq8uwk.jpg

69 crnt 1 photo DSC00460_zpsmhdsa3tq.jpg

Current color scheme, not sure I like it so I'll likely just go full satin black.

69 crnt 3 photo DSC00462_zpsdeibiz1i.jpg

69 crnt 4 photo DSC00463_zps8htict8v.jpg

Also got the new tires in. Though they look small to the Jeep's tires I think they'll work out very nicely for the Coronet.

69 crnt 5 photo DSC00464_zps35jrp4yo.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Like your body modifications Jonathan. If it weren't running thru the Outback, it would look deadly lower to the ground. Are you sure about switching to RWD? Looking forward to your build!

Cheers & G'Day, Misha

Yes unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to go awd with it. It's still not 100% ruled out it's just in all my mock ups no mater what I do I can't seem to find enough space in the front for the diff to sit. (frame vs engine vs height issues). I'm working on the rear end right now, I'll know for certain when I get to the front end hopefully Sat or Sunday. If I really cant do awd and it ends up hurting me in the votes then I will humbly accept it, I'm in it for the fun more so anyway. 

This is looking very cool!!  I think it's more car than truck

for sure. And they have cars they run in the Baja 500 and

the Baja 1000 that are just rear wheel drive but have the big

off-road tires on them.

And I'm talking bigger cars like Tri-five Chevy vehicles and

all kinds of others you might  not expect to see in a race like

that type of event. All the classes run at the same time out

there in the dessert!!

I look forward to seeing this build progress!!!!

David S.

Thanks David! I've been looking them up for inspiration on this build, awesome stuff.

I finally got the rear A-arms in last night with the springs setting right now. Should have the fronts in later today with the hopes of being on all fours for the first time since starting.

photo DSC00521_zps2ladhbtb.jpg

Front A-arm rods.

photo DSC00493_zpshkzoyds6.jpg

Right one broke last night but it was the bottom arm so I can re-glue it after setting the top to the frame.

photo DSC00536_zpsuffru2mc.jpg

Current color, all satin black. I'm kinda at a toss up between this murdered out look (fear everything will just blend together into one giant blob) or another color I have that's almost impossible to to spray on smooth. Could always use the "Painted Rhino Coating" excu.... I mean for extra protection. :D Today is pretty much the last day to consider a body color change so I'll think real hard about it. 

photo DSC00524_zpsjwaxmxhk.jpg

Thanks for looking!

With four days left it's a mad scramble to get it done. For as much as I've done I find more and more that needs to be done. One of which is the front panel below the grill, it's got to be stretched and painted. I completely forgot I hadn't done that yet.

Seats have paint but no other interior work has been done.

No automatic alt text available.

Final color, based off of a 68 Dart Super stock paint scheme, changed to satin black over silver though.

Image may contain: table

Got the glass in and setting up right now, will try to hammer out the interior later tonight if possible.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by TFchronos

Great job on all the fabrication. I agree that the silver color better shows the body lines. As an after thought if you ever go this way again and still want to try an AWD setup, maybe an engine or just the dry sump oiling system could be used from a NASCAR kit. They use this system for both better lubrication and added ground clearance. Look forward to seeing how this turns out.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, so here's a little story/update to end the build. On the 29th pieces of the A-arm suspension started breaking apart, they broke faster then I could repair them so I completely removed them. As such I missed the deadline on the 1st, that was very disappointing. But a few of the other builders put in a motion to increase the deadline to get theirs done so we all agreed to increased the deadline by 2 weeks to the 15th.

So I continued on with mine making new plans for it. This time I decided to change the type of build altogether by using and modifying the Jeep's parts. Below are the progress pictures from the 1st to morning of the 15th.

So that's where it was mourning of the 15th. After a full day of scrambling I manged to get the rest of it built minus engine detail, or so I thought. With 31 odd minutes left I posted it in the cbp thread and called it a night.

Image may contain: car

Image may contain: car

I did not realize it until the next mourning but I had completely forgotten install the master cylinder. . . No brakes haha. In the end it was only sitting finished.

To all those who looked and commented thank you. See you all in the new year, maybe with a few more builds. :)