Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nova ZL1 Project

drsnapper55

This Nova is my son's favorite car, and I have been pondering some combinations for too long.  It's time to get this project going.  We have different definitions of "cool", but this will be built his way.  After looking at various kits and supplies on hand, including the Corvette Callaway, C5R, and C7R model kits, we decided to try and use parts from Revell's 2013 Camaro ZL1 kit.  He has told me about how he would like the stance (more level and lower than in the pic below), colors, etc.  I'm not too formal with measuring, so we'll see how this goes.  I think I have a good idea for where cuts will need to be made and how this will all work.  Any suggestions welcome.  I'll post progress as this project moves along.  Thanks for looking.

Looks like fun, and great that you get to do it with your son. Some time ago I melded a '56 Chevy with a Greenwood Corvette. I did pretty much what the real guys do and grafted the frames together. I did the back half with the Corvette chassis meeting the 210 chassis at the rear kick up and rejoined the 210 chassis after the rear independent suspension. In the front I just mounted the Corvette cross member and suspension, this made it a lot easier to use the big block from the Greenwood kit. I also used the wheels and tires from that kit. Hope this helps in what you're trying to accomplish here. I also used the Corvette exhaust with the original kits exhaust. The Corvette cross member at the front of the rear suspension is a perfect place to hide where the two systems are joined.    

Thank you for the comments and help.  I'm hoping to avoid any grafting, but I'm ready for that if necessary.  I'm not too excited about the simple detail on this chassis and axles, and in some ways, that has made this harder.  It is what it is though, and this is the kit that I have to work with.

Good point on the cross member David, thank you.

My son lives a state away, but when we can't visit, he will be following this topic/site.

By grinding and sanding out the rear fender wells, I'm just barely going to avoid having to make any fender flares or major suspension changes.  It's a very tight fit with these wide Aoshima wheels, but I'm going with it.

I was surprised that the wheelbases on these two kits are almost identical, but the Camaro ZL has a much wider chassis.  With that said, I just made some cuts to draw in the wheels on the front suspension (still setting and test fitting this), and I trimmed off some chassis length on each side to make it fit to the Nova body.  Fender wells were all removed, and I'll figure out these and maybe some changes to the gas tank later.  I know this may not be realistic, but I'm hoping that the look will be right in the end.  Still a ways to go, but I'll be glad when I can get the suspension, ride height, and chassis set and then get on to the engine and other things.  It doesn't look like a whole lot of work, but here are a few progress pics.  Thanks for looking.

fender wells grinded out (right done, left not done)

IMG_3541_zpsyywvtwa7.jpg

IMG_3543_zpsbyin7qcp.jpg

Edited by drsnapper55

• 1 month later...

Some progress with filling sink holes and moving the front suspension to account for a slight difference in the front wheelbase.  I reattached some of the front suspension arms after cutting in various spots.  None of this is functionally correct, but I'm just going for something that will complete the look while still giving me the height I'm looking for.  I'm having to take in to consideration where my chassis will attach to the body too - all of this has to line up.  Next will be to open up the front more and mock up the height with how the wheels will attach.

I finished up some locating tabs for setting the chassis in place to the body.  I know there will be a lot more test fitting with interior components, so this should help.  I have some wiggle room with where I place the wheels while it still looking close to where the actual axles would be.

After my son checks this post, he can text me and let me know if this is where he wants it to sit....

I finished up some locating tabs for setting the chassis in place to the body.  I know there will be a lot more test fitting with interior components, so this should help.  I have some wiggle room with where I place the wheels while it still looking close to where the actual axles would be.

After my son checks this post, he can text me and let me know if this is where he wants it to sit....

IMG_3626_zpsoaiop1er.jpg

IMG_3628_zpso0pn7lni.jpg

Your build with your son looks like it's going great. From the side view picture it looks like the front wheels might have to go forward about 1 or 2 mm. If need be for narrowing the front track it looks like the Corvette front suspension/chassis components could be narrowed if need be.  

Your build with your son looks like it's going great. From the side view picture it looks like the front wheels might have to go forward about 1 or 2 mm. If need be for narrowing the front track it looks like the Corvette front suspension/chassis components could be narrowed if need be.  

Thanks David - Yeah, that front wheel kept rolling away from me - ha.  I do have a Corvette kit that I can check out just to make sure.  Thanks again for the help.

• 4 weeks later...

After a needed break, I was able to get back to work on this.  I modified the Camaro front fender wells in order to get them to fit with the Nova body.  Some detail with the struts had to be sacrificed, but there was no way around it.  They have been repositioned slightly too in order to give the illusion of where they will be in relation to the wheels and modified front suspension.  I'll add a little bit more scratch-built detail later.  For now, the fit seems good, and I'm moving forward.  The firewall, interior (ugh), and engine fit/hood mod will be up next.  A lot of work for a simple detail chassis, but I'm hoping this will all contribute to the final product in a good way.  My son has given me his approval, but comments/advice still welcome.  Thanks for looking.

Shaved off the underside flaring of the Nova body...a very hard to reach area with just about any kind of tool.  I ended up using a bare blade in my hands and then a rough sanding stick.IMG_3697_zpsgbqb2pnc.jpg

Shaving off and refitting some of the stock detail so that it will clear the hood later.  I debated on creating plain fender wells (taken from the Nova chassis), but I want to recreate as much of the Camaro ZL1 inside (stock or not) as much as possible.

IMG_3700_zpsra2t3kv0.jpg

IMG_3716_zpspaxaaeqq.jpg

Some comparison pics (unmodified on left).  I also made some locating tabs for constantly test fitting the chassis to the body.

IMG_3718_zpspuwxxmvg.jpg

IMG_3717_zpsnozjrsrj.jpg

Edited by drsnapper55

• 4 weeks later...

Just a few more progress pics with the interior which will have the Camaro interior except for the Nova dash.  Everything had to be settled down a bit including lowering all the seats and notching out a spot for the dash in to the Camaro console.  The door panels and portion under the rear window have yet to be trimmed out yet, and I'm still deciding exactly how I want the upper part of the engine firewall / cover look - either keep as is and fill in the gaps or do something different.

Staring point with interior:

IMG_3879_zpsecvoxcad.jpg

A lot of cutting:

ff95564d-786a-4da6-95ff-ecd252966b98_zps

A quick mock up:

IMG_3885_zpsg5txudjr.jpg

Edited by drsnapper55