Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to make window blinds

Back in July, this topic was discussed at some length. Unfortunately, the thread seems to have disappeared, and the MCM site's current configuration sometimes returns odd results when using the search method posted at the head of this topic block.

As the curve of the blinds is hardly noticeable in 1/25 scale, I'd suggest using thin (.005") cardstock for the slats, and cut a modified stair-step pattern (much smaller than shown, of course) from maybe .010" styrene to hang them on. 

Image result for stair step pattern

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Great idea Ray.I stayed with my original thought of using evergreen .125" half round.I glided 8 whole strips flat down to .023" sheet styrene as I am replicating closed blinds that will be seen through 10 Windows in a 20' Airfloat vintage travel trailer that I am scratch building.The blinds will stand back ever so slightly from the inside the walls on some .080" square styrene strips.The Airfloats had distinctive horizontal corrugated side sheet metal so the closed blinds should complement that design feature.

The trailer will be painted Spaz Stix chrome to simulate highly polished aluminum so the blinds will be white.I am still looking for a supply of teardrop shaped marker lights for this project.I put an ad in the "wanted"forum but got no responses.To see what an Airfloat trailer looks like log into Pintrest and search for Airfloat trailers.They were built from 1930 until 1957 in L.A.

Great idea Ray.I stayed with my original thought of using evergreen .125" half round.I gluded 8 whole strips flat down to .023" sheet styrene as I am replicating closed blinds that will be seen through 10 Windows in a 20' Airfloat vintage travel trailer that I am scratch building.The blinds will stand back ever so slightly from the inside the walls on some .080" square styrene strips.The Airfloats had distinctive horizontal corrugated side sheet metal so the closed blinds should complement that design feature.

The trailer will be painted Spaz Stix chrome to simulate highly polished aluminum so the blinds will be white.I am still looking for a supply of teardrop shaped marker lights for this project.I put an ad in the "wanted"forum but got no responses.To see what an Airfloat trailer looks like log into Pintrest and search for Airfloat trailers.They were built from 1930 until 1957 in L.A.

Just for giggles, consider replicating one or two shades that are drawn up (open)...

Cut a strip of heavy white paper (such as a business card) the width of the window; soak the paper in water for a few minutes, then tightly weave it through the teeth of a comb. After it's dry, the paper has all the appearance of a drawn-up shade. You might want to smash the whole thing together, to give sharper edges to the folds.

Just a thought...