Model Cars Magazine Forum

47 Chevy Fleetmaster - Galaxie

dougwintz

Hi all and happy holidays. These pics show a build I hope to complete before the end of the year. I tried something new (for me) which was spraying the body with Tamiya Clear Orange over white primer. I found it to be really challenging because the clear is unforgiving if you make a mistake. If sprayed too heavily, it pools into a darker color. Really tests your patience! The hubcaps have nice engraving and if you flow some thinned black paint into them it looks pretty cool. More later.....

IMG_2448 (2).JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2455.JPG

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2457.JPG

Well, the work on this continues. This is a great kit - complex, but everything fits right (Unlike the Grumpy's Nova I just finished!!).

I need some help, though. Does anyone know what that circular object is on the chassis?? - picture below. I don't think it's the master cylinder because all the research i've done seems to indicate it is right on the frame? So what the heck is that thing? 

IMG_2460.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

IMG_2465.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

I bet that thing on the floorboard is the blower motor for the underseat heater. Note what looks like water lines running up to alongside it.

Nice to hear that everything fits well! I have a fastback I'll tackle someday (when I figure out how to make the '46 grille more accurate :P)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I bet that thing on the floorboard is the blower motor for the underseat heater. Note what looks like water lines running up to alongside it.

:P)

I agree; it looks electrical in nature (I looked at my '48 aerosedan to be sure).

I doubt if it is the master cylinder, since the item in question is located under the front passenger seat.

This blob on the frame is still confusing. This seems to be on the body side of a frame cross member on the drivers side, this is why I thought it may be a body mount of some sort. The suggested water and electrical line going under the passenger side very well could be a heater. Some post WWll GM cars that I have owned had the heater under the passenger seat and a separate heater core under the dash for the defrosters, let me tell you they worked great.  I just purchased the '47 coupe and the instructions show the interior floor boards attaching to the cross member and the floor boards in the kit have a mounting point molded into the bottom that would  line up with the frame blob.  

If you have this same kit and are thinking about building it in the lowered position (like I am) - a friendly tip. You'll have to 1) trim the firewall and radiator from the bottom so the hood fits. 2) Trim the air cleaner from the bottom so it fits lower on the carb - then the hood can clear that piece piece too.