Model Cars Magazine Forum

35 Yr. Old Monogram 69 Camaro SS-Now "Under Glass"-07/20

mustang1989

Thanks a ton for your input Jeremy, Rusty, Carl , Randy and Erroll!

Great looking engine bay; my favorite part of this build! May I suggest robbing a monogram 68 or 69 GTO kit for its wiper/washer motor assembly to fill that depression at the top of the firewall? It is a nice separate piece.

Rusty: I really do appreciate the suggestion but I'm going to have to draw the line somewhere bud. I've thrown about everything I've got at this one (to include money) and am ready to get this one in the books. Not that I'm going to be in a rush to finish what I need to , just don't wanna add anything else to the list right now. Thanks again.

I want to do this car also. Your thread is a going to be a great help. The idea of correcting the grill is great. I was thinking of the earlier idea of flipping the right side of the grill like you did but the correction that you did looks much better. Keep up the good work,

Ep

Erroll: Thanks for your comments as well. Am I reading that right...........Afghanistan? Wow man! I spent a couple of years in Iraq about a decade ago.

Sneak peek shot. Still got a lot of work left to do. I've gotta figure out what's keeping the "real" car body sitting up in the front some and have to level things out a bit in the rear due to being a little high on the drivers side but we're getting there.........

and with the completed SS grille and lower air deflector( from the more accurate Revell release) glued in place. Keep in mind that the whole front end is NOT glued onto the body yet hence the large gaps between the facia and body in front of the wheel wells and at the sides of the grill to body. Still working on correcting the stance at the front and still gotta bumper to go but that'll be one of the last things that gets installed.

Edited by mustang1989

• 3 weeks later...

Man thanks JC. Been out of the loop from here now going on three weeks. Had lots going on at home but am still building.

Well folks I've got the engine compartment finished. There are some things that are wrong and more things I could've added to the actual bay itself but hey, ya gotta know when to say "when" at some point. I chose to do a simple "fill in" at the passenger side rear of the engine bay where Monogram placed the battery initially and install it in the correct location. You'll see that the two rectangular holes for the hood hinges have been filled in and the molded in crappy wire details were removed from the firewall, the original master cylinder was overhauled and detailed along with the added brake lines and a windshield washer bottle was added (along with the battery) from the newer Revell Camaro release. Radiator hoses were constructed out of 16 gauge electrical wire and a dullcoat applied over both. Hose clamps were made from spare PE frets. All of the molded in detail on both fender wells was removed which instantly improved the engine bay appearance to me.

F100%20Money%20Shots%20001_zpspzndrznu.j

F100%20Money%20Shots%20002_zpscpttffoo.j

Ya know.......I just realized..............I'm almost done with this one and have absolutely no clue what my next auto build will be. Indifferent

Thank you Jeremy and Tim. 

I finished up with the chassis as of this morning. The base chassis is all original down to paint and detailing through much younger eyes. I did do some repair painting here and there and applied a light wash on the fuel tank to bring out some of the detail.I think I touched the chassis up when I was around 16 or so with all the details. The front suspension, rear differential and leaf springs are all replacement parts and I had to make a custom driveshaft using the end pieces and some aluminum tubing. The mufflers are from the newer Revell Camaro release and the lead and tailpipes are silver solder. And with that......we're off to emblems and bumpers and a few touch ups here and there.

F100%20Money%20Shots_zpscnuvmdoh.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Dave and Carl. 

As a matter of fact I'd like to thank all of you who followed along or took the time to encourage me along the way with this build. It has truly been an experience, I can tell ya that. lol. 

This puppy has been moved to the "Under Glass" Section.