Model Cars Magazine Forum

My take on the Firebird match racer

Being that I am a 1:1 drag racer I love all the Drag racing kits and decided to take on the Firebird match racer as a simple build I brows here daily and love the amount of talent you guys all have so I figured id share it with you. Kit was pretty good build but some parts were not the greatest. Biggest let down was the intake, a square box? Really guy, really? So after making my own: intake, distributor, water pump, electric rad fan, extending the wheelie bars, make the headers into fender exit ones, intake mounting the scoop, changing the rims and tires,and plumbing everything i build it pretty stock.  

IMG_4294.sized.jpgIMG_4295.sized.jpgIMG_4308.sized.jpg

IMG_4293.sized.jpg

IMG_4309.sized.jpg

IMG_4310.sized.jpg

IMG_4311.sized.jpg

IMG_4657.sized.jpg

IMG_4658.sized.jpg

IMG_4659.sized.jpg

IMG_4660.sized.jpg

IMG_4746_001.sized.jpgIMG_4748_001.sized.jpg

I had to make pro-jacks for it too for display of course 

IMG_4749.sized.jpg

IMG_4747_001.sized.jpg

love it! very nice job. good work getting the intake made and making it with the correct port spacing.  i like the pro jacks too!

as a side note: don't be too hard on the model manufacturer on the "box" intake. the prostock guys, up to last year put covers (your box) on the intakes to hide them. this as been going on for 20+years.

Thanks everyone, I understand the intake point just was an upset opening it and seeing it. The wheels are Pegasus and the paint is Tamiya Mica blue bottom, Pearl White top with an orange stripe. 

Tow rig is a box stock revell f-350 that has been lowered and painted in Tamiya Coral Blue with a flat clear over top. 

Great build!!

How did you your paintjob (especially the orange stripe)?

And do you have some detailed pics/info about how you did the side exhausts?

I painted the whole body pearl white, taped it off and shot the Mica Blue, then I ran the orange pin stripe to divide it (Pactra pin striping) and applied 4 coats of Tamiya clear.