Model Cars Magazine Forum

McNally's '09 Challenger SRT8 Is Completed

mrmike

A new project and the return of McNally, Boston PI!  The story is only to show what is driving this build of Revell's '09 Challenger SRT8.  The people in this story are not related to anyone living or deceased.

The Story

Homeward Hit

After a hectic weekend of chasing down a murder suspect, McNally, Boston PI relaxes at home watching the Red Sox take on the Yankees on TV.  The doorbell rings and he makes his way to the front door to see his ex-girlfriend Tracy Balidon.  It's been over a year since he last saw her and their greeting was short and sweet.  Tracy is returning to Boston to restart her business when it showed that she wasn't going to make a profit in the Las Vegas' job market.  They tell each other that they are not seeing anyone which gives them hope that they can restart a relationship together.

Meanwhile, two men get off a plane that had landed at Logan Airport from New Jersey.  They rent a car and drive to a secret location to receive money, guns, and instructions for a hit on a person of interest...McNally, Boston PI. 

The Build

I am using the Revell '09 Challenger SRT8 Kit #85-4220 for this build.

SRT801.jpg

The body will be painted with Dupli-Color Forest Green Pearl and is not a stock color for this car.  My influence for this color comes from the Mustangs used in the movie Bullitt and the TV show Spenser For Hire and the Mannix Dodge Darts and Plymouth 'Cudas.  I'm hoping to use the optional tires from the Revell '65 Chevelle SS396 Z-16 kit instead of the truck-like tires in the Challenger SRT8 kit.

SRT802.jpg

SRT803.jpg

McNally, Boston PI will return...

Edited by mrmike

Sorry about that Ron!  wasn't my intention to get you to build the same model as I!  lol  You know what they say...great minds think alike!  I'm sure your Challenger will look great!

Edited by mrmike

I guess I do get things done.  I do have a couple of projects that have been stalled for whatever reason, but I will get back to them someday.

Dang Mike! What are you doing to me? I just picked up one of those last Saturday ay our club meeting. I plan to do mine in Black, like the NCIS-LA car that L.L. Cool-J's character drives. I think he's driving a Hellcat now. I have not seen the show this season. I love those Challengers.

I went looking for pictures of that Challenger especially since I don't watch NCIS-LA.  The Challenger is an SRT8, but I don't think it's a Hellcat.  

Ok girls.....no fighting. You're both right.

I dont watch the show anymore so I dont know which season Sam switched, but during the first few, he did drive the SRT, this from season 3 I believe was the caption on the photo I found.

And now for season 8, it definitely looks like the Hellcat,

Now kiss and make up and be BFF's again.

Just kidding.....looking forward to more of your build....love the little story.

David

Ok girls.....no fighting. You're both right.

I dont watch the show anymore so I dont know which season Sam switched, but during the first few, he did drive the SRT, this from season 3 I believe was the caption on the photo I found.

NCISLA-S05E03-01-16x9-1_zpsfrbajkya.jpg

And now for season 8, it definitely looks like the Hellcat,

NCIS-LA-81-11-700x466_zps98elxj8f.jpg

Now kiss and make up and be BFF's again.

Just kidding.....looking forward to more of your build....love the little story.

David

Not a Hellcat. Wrong wheels, wrong grille, wrong hood, wrong emblems. That is an SRT Challenger 392.

For comparison, here's the Hellcat I leased a customer last year. You can see not only the center hood scoop, but the two vents on the sides of the hood.Front bumper and grille are different shapes as well.

051415%20-%20004%20-%20rf%20view_zpsyb8d

051415%20-%20008%20-%20unloaded%20lf%20v

Not a Hellcat. Wrong wheels, wrong grille, wrong hood, wrong emblems. That is an SRT Challenger 392.

For comparison, here's the Hellcat I leased a customer last year. You can see not only the center hood scoop, but the two vents on the sides of the hood.Front bumper and grille are different shapes as well.

Yep, you're right. That's what I get for trying to be clever before I'm fully awake. Next time I'll finish my morning tea first.

I thought that Challenger looked like it was missing something!  Now I remember...the vents on the sides of the scoop.  Yep, it's a 392 Scatpak Challenger!  Thank you Dan!

I'm going to be "that guy" and disagree again. I don't think it's a Scatpack car. The Scatpacks had the bumblebee badge on the front fenders, and had no SRT labels anywhere on the car.

WP_20160406_005_zpssafqlh6t.jpg

The SRT392s had the 392 Hemi emblem on the fenders, and the SRT emblem in the grille.

Not trying to be a d*ck, but the Challenger is like the one modern car I know about. The purple one above was mine, and I lease out a fair number of these things for work. :)

I'm going to shut up now so we can get back to a built thread. I have the same kit of the shelf, so looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Edited by iamsuperdan

Mike and I are not in an argument over this one. The car in the photo is a 2016 Challenger SRT392. In another post, I stated that I wished that Revell would do a kit of the Hellcat. Seeing the SRT392, as well as the 392 Plus Scatpack Shaker.

I got my info from the Dodge website, using the vehicle configurator.

Any of these will do. Even the forthcoming 2018 Demon. I just would like a full detail kit with the body and interior updates from the previous factory refresh.

Mike's build will be whatever he chooses it to be, and it will be brilliantly executed. I only brought up Sam's SRT, as I love the car, and that is how I am going to do my build.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Mike and I are not in an argument over this one. The car in the photo is a 2016 Challenger SRT392. In another post, I stated that I wished that Revell would do a kit of the Hellcat. Seeing the SRT392, as well as the 392 Plus Scatpack Shaker.

I got my info from the Dodge website, using the vehicle configurator.

Any of these will do. Even the forthcoming 2018 Demon. I just would like a full detail kit with the body and interior updates from the previous factory refresh.

Mike's build will be whatever he chooses it to be, and it will be brilliantly executed. I only brought up Sam's SRT, as I love the car, and that is how I am going to do my build.

Well, all I can say is that there is a LOT of info out there and even us old guys can have a hard time seeing it all!  Ron is correct!  No argument over this!  I use to be so good at spotting the small details on cars that would differentiate one model from the other.  Now, not so much.  It appears that there are quite a few models of the Challenger that all look alike with the exception of a small logo or two.  I haven't had the time or the inclination lately to sort out all these differences myself.  Being so tied up with day-to-day goings on, it just boggles the mind!  I retired from working two days before Christmas and I'm still trying to get my head around that!!!  With that being said, I'm going to forge ahead with my McNally Challenger and I hope it comes out the way I can see it in my mind.  

I didn't say anyone was arguing. But I know there are some around here that are a little, shall we say, obsessed with detail. :) I was just pointing out some things. 

For future  reference, Clearly Scale is putting out a complete Hellcat upgrade kit shortly. Engine, body, wheels, etc.

I didn't say anyone was arguing. But I know there are some around here that are a little, shall we say, obsessed with detail. :) I was just pointing out some things. 

For future  reference, Clearly Scale is putting out a complete Hellcat upgrade kit shortly. Engine, body, wheels, etc.

I can't wait to see what Clearly Scale does for the Hellcat. The other products look top notch.

The Story

As McNally drives into Boston, he notices he is being followed by a silver Ford Taurus.  He zips down a back street towards the warehouse district and the occupants in the Taurus start shooting at him in his 1997 Ford Exhibition and the right rear tire explodes and goes flat followed by the left rear tire.  He stops and the back of the big SUV is starting to smoke and flame heavily as he gets out and runs to the side of the road under the cover of the smoking Exhibition.  The men in the Taurus get out and continue shooting at the Exhibition and McNally returns fire from his hiding spot on the side of the rode, killing both shooters.

McNally sits in the visitors chair in front of Lt. Det. Troy's desk at BPD Homicide later in the afternoon and finishes writing out a report on his "incident".  Adam returns to his office and says, "You seem to be cleaning up the city of some of its criminals."  McNally replies, "It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it."  They discuss the hitmen who were from New Jersey and so far they have no leads on who hired them.  McNally will start looking for answers to who put the hit out on him and Adam Troy tells him to keep in touch.

The Build

I got the Challenger into primer.

I painted most of the engine parts with Model Master Aluminium Plate Metalizer and sealled with a good coat of Alclad II Klear Kote.

The body has been painted with Dupli-Color Forest Green Pearl.

Engine assembly has begun.

McNally will return...

The Story

McNally hops off the T and walks the half block to Vic's Auto Sales and Service which was recently refurbished into a modern dealership for selling and servicing used cars.  He sticks his head into Vic's new office and greats his old Army buddy and they both walk out to the back lot where the remains of McNally's Exhibition is stored.  The burnt out hulk was totalled as McNally searches for his equipment bag which was burnt as well and the only thing inside that was salvagable was his kevlar vest.  Vic helps finds McNally a new vehicle which happens to be sitting in his showroom-a 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 with low miles and in a gleaming dark green paint job.  After a test drive, Vic starts the paperwork on the Challenger for McNally.

The Build

The extra tires from the Revell '65 Chevelle are a tight fit, but look a lot better than the truck tires that come in the kit.

They are smaller in diameter and width.

The engine is in-progress.

McNally will return...

The Story

After a day of renewing old contacts and many business meetings, Tracy decides to stop at McNally's house on her way home.  She pulls up to the curb in front of his house in her Chevy Impala rental car and stops the engine.  She reaches over to grab her purse from the passenger seat and her cellphone from the console as a dark colored sedan pulls along side and machine gun fire erupts from the sedan blowing out all the windows of the rental.  When the gun fire stops, the dark colored sedan quickly pulls away down the road and the neighbors look out their windows to see what the noise was all about.  One neighbor comes out of his house and walks over to the rental and sees Tracy's lifeless body.  He pulls his cellphone from his pocket and calls the Police.

The Build

I wet sanded the Challenger today and burned through the paint in a few spots.  I'll either touchup the spots or add another coat of paint to the body.

The chassis and the interior are in progress.

I painted the rest of the components for the Challenger.

McNally will return...

The Story

McNally gets a call from Lt. Det. Troy summoning him home.  When he arrives at home, he is told about Tracy and he takes it very hard and heads back out to the streets looking for answers.  He stops to see his informant Zachy who says he'll keep his ears open for any information that he can pass on to McNally.  Around midnight McNally stops at a drive-thru for a coffee and a couple of donuts then drives over to a closed mall parking lot to think.  A police cruiser pulls up to him and he recognizes the officer driving.  

They chat briefly and after the cruiser drives away, McNally remembers when he met the cop and the case that they were investigating.  A small-time hood that he had testified against and sent to prison may have put a hit out on the Boston PI for sending him up.  At least it's a direction to go in...

The Build

The chassis is finished.

SRT816.jpg

SRT817.jpg

I've started on the interior.

SRT818.jpg

McNally will return...

Edited by mrmike