Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 41 Willys Street Rod

GeeBee

The bodyshell has been put aside while I start work on the chassis, engine and interior, I was toying with doing a two tone interior, but in the end decided to go with a simple once colour interior instead, and just picked parts out in chrome, all the chrome was done using the Molotow liquid chrome pens, on the smaller parts it was dispensed onto a small piece of cardboard and applied with the tip of a wooden cocktail stick, the chassis after thinking about the colour, as I didn't want to paint it black was airbrushed in body colour, 

Nice and tidy interior Geoff. Is that the OOB interior? I have the Street Demons version of this kit and it's got the big hole in the interior tub for the shifter and the overall look is primitive at best.

yes, it's OOB, I just airbrushed it, and picked out the chrome parts with a liquid chrome pen.

Getting closer to getting this one done, I need to get it finished soon, as I need to re-model the hobby room, as it now has to function as my office as well, so will be split in two separate sides, this will be the last model to be built for a while.

I've got the chassis pretty much finished, with the engine built up and installed, I'm still waiting for the pre wired distributor to arrive, but that can still be installed, as the distributor fits at the back of the engine, the discs have been stripped of their chrome and airbrushed in steel, after the calipers have been picked out in a different colour, they can be fitted, then the wheels can be fitted, 

Rear axle done using a Liquid chrome pen over gloss black

Engine finished and installed into the chassis

I'm still waiting for the pre wired distributor to arrive, so can't really go too much further, but I've still got the waistline trim on the body to bmf, and after airbrushing the brake discs in Testors steel and the calipers picked out in Tamiya titanium gold, I got them fitted today, i've only got 20 days left until I have to fly out to the other side of the world for three weeks, and next week the hobby room is getting gutted so I can get the new computer desk in there, as I now need an office, so the hobby room will be split in two halves, this one might not be finished until later in the year.

20170511_144735_zpsifmcwq7k.jpg

20170511_150907_zpspxxeackq.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

The Willy's is going to be gorgeous!!!  You've really done an outstanding job with the paint choices and I'll look forward to seeing the finished car.  I may just have to dive into mine and see what I can do.  The detail painting is sweet and the chromed rear axle looks perfect.  Nice job with the chrome pen!!!????????

Had a little chance earlier to get into the hobby room, not enough time to get anything done though, but I thought I'd try all the parts together, this is only a dry fit, as the body still needs the waistline trim to be done in bmf and the windows fitted, but everything just dropped into place.

20170513_132217_zpsadiakiay.jpg

Hopefully I'll get some time soon to get it finished ....

With a little bit of time on my hands this morning, I got started on the bmf on the waistline trim, so far so good

20170514_132845_zpscxxyjot6.jpg

20170514_155455_zps6ozbxkjc.jpg

All of my previous builds, which replicate a brand new car sitting in a showroom waiting for it's first owner, either don't have number plates fitted or have showroom plates fitted, of course this one is totally different, so I'm going with the California plate and a photoetch surround I've had for a few year, but had nothing to use it on.

20170514_152229_zpsdyyk5edu.jpg

20170514_152250_zpskdht6feg.jpg

Also got the front windshield masked up ready to airbrush the rubber seal in matt black

20170514_152217_zpsmoebkgjd.jpg

And now I'm going to have to have a break for a while while the hobby room gets a make over, working downstairs on what was the dining table has been too much trouble lately, with piles of paperwork and pretty well nowhere to file away invoices and other papers, the hobby room is going to get split in half, so half of it will be an office and where I can work on my photo's in peace, and have room to put invoices in proper box files up on shelves out of the way, and somewhere for all my computer gear, and as I'm off to Brazil on the 31st for 3 weeks, I'm not going to have that much time to get any modelling done, feels very strange to start having to box up all my model collections, but it needs to be done.

20170514_181710_zpsejxmcehl.jpg

20170514_181701_zpsdjln1ahb.jpg

Got the bmf finished,and now the pre wired distributor arrived, I can crack on with getting that fitted and wired, I've only got 12 days until I'm off to Brazil for 3 weeks, so it might have to wait until I get back until I finish this one off,

20170518_141603_zpsafhno4cu.jpg

I'm using the decal from the kit for the rear number plate, but I'm finishing it off with a photoetch licence plate frame

ae4c96ac-b020-4009-976f-b56539118fde_zps

It just keeps getting better, Geoff!!!  Once everything settles down, I do hope you'll come back to the Willys first.  The license plate frame is really a nice touch.  Can't wait until you're back home and building again!!!????????

It just keeps getting better, Geoff!!!  Once everything settles down, I do hope you'll come back to the Willys first.  The license plate frame is really a nice touch.  Can't wait until you're back home and building again!!!????????

Oh this one will be the first model I pick up when get back, I've got 6 weeks after I get back from Brazil before I'm off to Japan for Just over two weeks 

Edited by GeeBee

Got the bmf finished,and now the pre wired distributor arrived, I can crack on with getting that fitted and wired, I've only got 12 days until I'm off to Brazil for 3 weeks, so it might have to wait until I get back until I finish this one off,

20170518_141603_zpsafhno4cu.jpg

I'm using the decal from the kit for the rear number plate, but I'm finishing it off with a photoetch licence plate frame

ae4c96ac-b020-4009-976f-b56539118fde_zps

Dead sexy...