Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 Firebird Formula?

OK guys, Ive gotten a few late year 1970 Firebirds and found 1 that was a 78 and a 79 but they were all Trans Ams.

I am looking for a kit for a 1979 Firebird Formula and looks like a  Trans Ams but the difference is the scoops on the hood and no side vents and lower body's a bit different. 

I did find a 1976 Firebird Formula by MPC made in 1976 that was close but different front end (three years earlier obviously), but im sure hard to get for that long ago, and no reboxes it seems since then.

Here is the 1979 Firebird Trans Am

Image result for 1979 firebird trans am

Here is a 1979 Firebird Formula

Image result for 1979 firebird formula

Any recommendations on what do to make a 79 formula from a kit or by hand? The two hood scoop formula Firebird '79 is what I had once.

Never really did scratch or anything but open to it.

Edited by DrSprue

I did a Google image search for "1979 Firebird model kit" and also from having many 2nd gen Trans Am kits, the only two hoods I know of are the shaker and the "Turbo" hood from 80 and 81. As for the 76 Formula, I did a Google image search on it too, and that would get you very close for your Formula with not much work. Although the front bumpers are different, the shape of the hood for the 76 should be the same for the 79 as long as both are MPC or AMT kits because the 79 kits with AMT on the box are the old MPC kits. Unless there is anyone that makes a resin Formula hood, using the 76 or scratchbuilding it may be your only options. Though this is just an image I found and not the one I had, especially since mine had the rear spoiler, this was what my high school ride looked like and would like to build someday, though I have to find a 73 Buick 350 to make it correct LOL. 

570512-2_1979_Pontiac_Firebird_Esprit_2- 

Mine was originally a V6 Esprit before the owner before me dropped the 350 into it. 

There was never a kit with the '79 Formula hood.  It doesn't look like it would be too tough to make, using the T/A hood as a starting point.  The T/A front fender scoops can be filled in, and the spoilers and wheel "spats" are separate pieces so they can be left off.

I Know there was an 80 done with that hood, Either Monogram or revell made the kit "turbo Chief"  I know I have a built copy of the kit hidden here some place.

The Monogram Turbo Chief had a custom hood, with narrower scoops.  Revell may have done a snap kit with a similar hood, but I'd bet that if they did, it's not too accurate.

Its not to hard to convert a T/A to a Formula. I haven't done a 79 but I have done two Monogram 70 T/A's and I'm currently working on converting a Monogram 79 Z28 into a base Camaro. After I finish the Camaro I'm going to attempt a 78 Formula from the Monogram 78 T/a kit.I did the green one first It's not a true Formula but it gave me the confidence to make a true Formula. Give it a try. The worst that can happen is you'll have to sand every thing of and start over. Find one at a car show or cruise in. Take a lot of good pics with your cell phone and plan it out. Use masking tape to lay out the base area and then use sheet styrene to build it up to where it looks right and then slowly carve out the details. I even made the silver one a ram air version with air cleaner.post-9652-966_thumb.jpgpost-9652-867476_thumb.jpghttp://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/72809-70-73-pontiac-trans-amformulaespiritfirebird/ I couldn't get pics of the silver one I did but found an old link with some pics of it. Her's a couple pics of the silver one in the conversion processmsg-9652-0-48132900-1345517535_thumb.jpgmsg-9652-0-51723700-1345517407_thumb.jpg

The front fascia change in '77 also changed the hoods at the front. The hoods became flatter, losing the curvy sections at the outer, front corners that you see in Jeff's pics. They also lost the circulation vents at the base of the windshield. You "could" use an earlier then '77 hood but you would have more work to do to get it to match the later fascia.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Oh thank you guys for responding (so sorry Im replying a bit late, I wont go into why..too embarrassing really) but yes "kelsonfor that style of the that Revell and IMSS for your idea about a bit of scratch in that area that could be done. (wow your older firebids are so nice too) So right about not having that car in 79 and being a formula too. I did a bit more research and kelson I found that model and it does have a removal hood. 

(See the image I found on one site at the bottom that was a side scan)

Boxart Formula Firebird Convertible 6222 Revell

I think ill take that revell #6222 up above (If I can find one) and the same scale revell 6220 (below) if I can find that too and do some scratching and sanding!

Boxart Turbo Firebird 6220 Revell

Even if the hoods are a bit off, Ive seen some of you really good car modelers take the hood and do some scratch stuff to them. Like a transplant of the center sections. Thanks for all your reply's tho, it helped me quite a bit.

I think for the time being that Im still a bit new coming back into the hobby so I'll build some kits I do have in my stash for some practice. I am almost finished with that countach you see in my picture and maybe another one for good practise. Thx again! 

-Doc

Formula Firebird Convertible box 2.jpg

Edited by DrSprue