Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac GTO Is Complete

mrmike

I built this model 6 years ago as the Memphis Beat '64 Pontiac GTO driven by Jason Lee as Det. Dwight Hendricks.  When I finished the build, the show was cancelled and the model sat on the shelf ignored by me since then.  I have been looking at this model for the past couple of weeks, wondering if I should do anything to it or just put it away in a box somewhere.  That all changed when I discovered a set of Pontiac wheels and knock-offs in my parts box this morning.  The wheels and knock-offs came with the '64 GTO kit and I had put them away for a future use on something.  

I took the Poncho apart this morning and will wash everything, repaint whatever needs repainting, and reassemble the GTO.

GTO01.JPG

GTO02.JPG

GTO03.JPG

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Jeremy and John!  The foil is lifting in some spots, the paint is scratched in others, the model is covered with dust, one valve cover is on backwards, and I'm finding all kinds of things that need some attention.  I think I can make it better!

Edited by mrmike

I finished the engine by re-installing it into the chassis.  The tires have been lettered by hand.  I may do some more detailing to the chassis later. 

GTO04.JPG

GTO05.JPG

My original thought was to polish the body with Meguiars Scratch X 2.0, then Novus 2 and then Novus 1.  Instead I wet-sanded the body since I have plenty of clear on it and it is full of trash.  I still need to polish the body sides and the hood.  You can clearly see my bench light reflection in the roof.

GTO06.JPG

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

I hope to finsh the GTO today.  I finished wet-sanding and polishing the hood and body this morning, then I installed the glass and the interior.

GTO07.JPG

I cut some thin strips of Bare Metal Foil and wrapped them around the radiator hoses.

GTO08.JPG

I cleaned up the bumpers, grille, and taillights.

GTO09.JPG

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

you ain't gonna believe this.....in 1974, I bought a 1965 Pontiac GTO....the exact same color, interior color and 389 tri-power setup!  boy does this bring back memories. Shortly after I bought it, I enlisted in the Air Force and in 1975 I left for London, England. After being over there for a couple of months, my dad called....someone had stolen my GTO and after a high speed chase, tried to molest a concrete bridge.... nothing was left that wasn't beat, bent or destroyed beyond recognition.  I paid $500 for the goat and figured "oh well" insurance paid me $750 for the car and I can get one when I get home in 1978.....right...so much for wishful thinking!   you've done a great job on this one! Give yourself a pat on the back!  Excellent work!

you ain't gonna believe this.....in 1974, I bought a 1965 Pontiac GTO....the exact same color, interior color and 389 tri-power setup!  boy does this bring back memories. Shortly after I bought it, I enlisted in the Air Force and in 1975 I left for London, England. After being over there for a couple of months, my dad called....someone had stolen my GTO and after a high speed chase, tried to molest a concrete bridge.... nothing was left that wasn't beat, bent or destroyed beyond recognition.  I paid $500 for the goat and figured "oh well" insurance paid me $750 for the car and I can get one when I get home in 1978.....right...so much for wishful thinking!   you've done a great job on this one! Give yourself a pat on the back!  Excellent work!

A few years later, got a 65 for free, no motor trans, I had no license yet, my father and I SCRAPPED it!!! SAD!!!

the guy GAVE me 68 convert a month later..... yep, we scrapped it too.

SAD.

That's gonna be cool Mike, I love the early GTO's. Here's some incentive LOL. Now kick it's butt, I can't wait to see it.;):)

Picture1329.jpg

DSCN3603.JPG

DSCN3600.JPG

DSCN3598.JPG

Magnificent! Great color and great paint! And the Rally IIs look right at home on it! Well done!

like they say, hindsight is 20/20....had a 65 mustang fastback...wife bought it for $500....sold it for $650 before going to England (we drove my 65 goat home from texas, before we left....sold her car because we were both active duty air force. never saw the car again, but like always, thought we could get another one when we got home....should have put both on them on blocks in my dad's garage....still shed a tear today after seeing what they are worth now....

Magnificent! Great color and great paint! And the Rally IIs look right at home on it! Well done!

Thanks Richard, I went with a restomod vibe using all Pontiac parts to make it look as if it could have come from the factory that way. It has a RA IV from a '70 Judge, Hurst 4 sp, also the hood tach and Rally II's from the Judge as well. Painted in Marimba Red which is the same as Chevy's Honduras Maroon with Parchment interior.:)

Fellas,

The GREAT ONE(S) , both of these builds are great ! Very inspirational to say the least. What shade of paint was used on the blue car ? The color is a dead ringer for the shade of blue that was on a '65 Pontiac Tempest hardtop I drove "back in the day".

Thanks,

Pete L.