Model Cars Magazine Forum

Next Tamiya 1/24 car is...

BVC500

• 2 weeks later...

Unbelievably, a Canadian vendor had these in stock this past weekend. I was astounded as generally, we get things so much later than the US. He only had two and sold both. I bought one of them, for more than I would of paid from Japan, but I'm an impulse buyer and had to have it. I'm hoping it arrives by the end of the week. 

Amazingly HLJ still had it showing as being release around 11/30 which seems odd that it made it to Canada first.

Unbelievably, a Canadian vendor had these in stock this past weekend. I was astounded as generally, we get things so much later than the US. He only had two and sold both. I bought one of them, for more than I would of paid from Japan, but I'm an impulse buyer and had to have it. I'm hoping it arrives by the end of the week. 

Amazingly HLJ still had it showing as being release around 11/30 which seems odd that it made it to Canada first.

North America and Europe are supposed to get them on the 20th. Japan & Asia get them in November. The one month lag is now standard fare for Tamiya after their affiliate companies (Tamiya Europe & Tamiya USA) whined to the home office that they're losing too many sales to the direct importers. 

North America and Europe are supposed to get them on the 20th. Japan & Asia get them in November. The one month lag is now standard fare for Tamiya after their affiliate companies (Tamiya Europe & Tamiya USA) whined to the home office that they're losing too many sales to the direct importers. 

I didn't know that. That makes sense then. The price gap is still huge tho. It's almost double getting it from a Canadian vendor over what it will be from Japan. 

I didn't know that. That makes sense then. The price gap is still huge tho. It's almost double getting it from a Canadian vendor over what it will be from Japan. 

Yeah the U.S. MSRP is $62, which is a break from the past several kits (MX-5, FXX-K, etc) that were a reasonable distance away from the Japanese price when you took shipping into consideration.  Heck when the NSX came out and the dollar was weak to the Yen it was actually cheaper to buy it off the local kit vendor for $40, than it was to buy and ship it from Japan.  Looks like they went back to the 100% markup on this one again.

Yeah the U.S. MSRP is $62, which is a break from the past several kits (MX-5, FXX-K, etc) that were a reasonable distance away from the Japanese price when you took shipping into consideration.  Heck when the NSX came out and the dollar was weak to the Yen it was actually cheaper to buy it off the local kit vendor for $40, than it was to buy and ship it from Japan.  Looks like they went back to the 100% markup on this one again.

Retail in Canada is around $80, which for a new Tamiya kit is pretty common, if I remember right the Red Bull F1 car from a few years back was something like $97 retail, hence the reason I order most of my Tamiya kits from HK/Japan, even with shipping and any exchange alot of the time the price is almost half.

Well...quick review....I got mine yesterday and it's fantastic. If you like race cars, GT cars in particular than this kit is a must have. No it doesnt have an engine but other than that it has pretty much everything else needed to make a perfect model of this car. The only other details missing...and they're small, are some templated CF decals for the center console, the door skins and the underside of the rear wing...the top half and endplates have CF but they didnt do the underside??. The only other decals I would of like to have seen added would be some tire decals, there are none, but I'm sure that was a licencing issue, just like the new NASCAR kits.

Fitment on this kit is top notch, as is expected from Tamiya, and they dont disappoint. The front and rear bumpers have locating tabs which line up with depressions on the inside of the body to help with alignment. A small dab of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement and these parts are locked into place quickly and with no mess on the body surface. Other body elements that need to be added have their seams hidden in such as way that there is little to no sanding needed to ensure a perfect fit. The only area, for me, that I had to fill and sand were the NACA ducts over the rear wheels for the brakes. I had a couple of tiny gaps on each side that needed to be filled and blended.

In short...I'm happy. So much so that my second one is due to arrive in the next few days (tomorrow likely) and I plan on ordering at least two more for sure. Gravity Colors has just released several new paint colours for this car and Zero Paints has some as well. Apparently Hobby Design has some decals in the works, Linkin Park for sure, could be more. And with the number of these cars being run globally I'm sure more will follow, quickly.

I didnt take any pics of the parts trees....was too excited and jumped right into it, so when my second kit arrives I'll post some pics of the trees, unless someone beats me to it.

Edited by Jhedir6

See, and now you have one before us blokes in the US have them, it's funny how it works like that.

I know right? Go figure. I ordered a second one from HK, it just got released by Customs so should be here tomorrow. But my BMW from Hobby Search...still showing that they dont have any yet....weird.

I know right? Go figure. I ordered a second one from HK, it just got released by Customs so should be here tomorrow. But my BMW from Hobby Search...still showing that they dont have any yet....weird.

Now you wont have to watch my What's In The Box video :lol:

Who did you buy the Merc from ?

Edited by martinfan5

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, allis200 said:

I see a company called slotfabrik is making decals for the car. Are their decals any good? Are they easy to use? Is anyone else making those same decals?  https://www.hiroboy.com/124_MercedesAMG_GT3_Haribo_8_Decals--product--11864.html

Never heard of them before, but the are clearly designed for slot car bodies - which makes the fit dubious at best - and there's a lot wrong with fonts and shapes and sizes of various objects on several of the sheets. They look like cheap ALPS decals being sold at a borderline rip off price.

Studio27 released the Bilstein Nurburgring decals earlier this month.10503290a2.thumb.jpg.5c69e8a7bc74b6c0e34688b4093c7fba.jpg10503290a.thumb.jpg.1f02645f1227c64a46475c23bf21d9fb.jpg

They also released the SAP Nurburgring livery (which is the winning car from 2016) yesterday. 

10504955a.jpg.c41171f9ec1498c7775dfbad2475c982.jpg10504955a2.jpg.ccf9e520c86e21446877c22e355031a7.jpg