Model Cars Magazine Forum

Padded Workbench

Very simple: if you're getting the "imprint of the paper towel design on the roof of the model", your paint just isn't dry enough to handle safely.

Fully cured paint will NOT fingerprint or take textured imprints from other materials.

For final assembly, I'll often use the inside of old fleece sweatshirts on the bench. Just be sure you don't let any bits of plastic or metal contaminate it...or you WILL get scratches.

Depending on what I'm trying to do I'll use a couple of different "pads" to set the roof on. A clean Micro Fiber towel works well most of the time, but if I need to have the body at an odd angle I'll use a foam rubber that I bought years ago. The foam is about a foot long and is shaped with two different sized dips on top. When foiling it holds the body at a perfect angle so that I can lay down the foil without trying to hold the body in position at the same time, it also works great when installing the windows for the same reason. I think I got it at the local hobby shop, but it has been a long time ago.

Depending on what I'm trying to do I'll use a couple of different "pads" to set the roof on. A clean Micro Fiber towel works well most of the time, but if I need to have the body at an odd angle I'll use a foam rubber that I bought years ago. The foam is about a foot long and is shaped with two different sized dips on top. When foiling it holds the body at a perfect angle so that I can lay down the foil without trying to hold the body in position at the same time, it also works great when installing the windows for the same reason. I think I got it at the local hobby shop, but it has been a long time ago.

Could you post a pic or two?