Model Cars Magazine Forum

NIssan 240Z - Aoshima

Mixalz

Hello everyone. 

I originally wasn't going to post this build but since I haven't found too many examples of it I will. In case someone tries to tackle it at least they can learn from my mistakes (there are plenty!)

So the build consists of the kit and Hobby Design's PE set. First I want to say I was extremely disappointed with the kit. The rivet holes are clearly shown on the box but were not present on the model. Nor were the grooves where the flares attached to the body.

http://www.jdm-shop.de/images/product_images/info_images/s30.jpg

Secondly the undercarriage is clearly from a battery powered toy and very unrealistic. In fact there are panels that snap together for the battery slots!

Thirldy the color shown on the box is not in the instructions. In fact that colour isn't even made by the manufacturer. The closest color they recommend is way off. This was annoying for me as I saw the box and liked THAT model, rivets and colour.

So take home lesson ALWAYS find the instructions of the kit before buying! Aside from this the shell is really nicely made. 

The next problem I had was with the PE parts. The emblems are beautiful. The window trims were OK for the sides and rear (a touch short in some areas but enough that I could accept it). The problem with the window trims came after I had glued all the sides and rear. I found out the windshield piece was simply too small. Now I couldn't not use the one peice... This resulted in damage during placement and glue spreading whilst I tried to find a compromise position (i couldn't easily test fit due to the curvature). This annoyed me beyond belief as had I known the windshield piece was too small I simply would have used BMF as the trims were nice and deeply scribed in the model already! So if you pick up this PE kit I would advise against the trims.

Onto the work itself. I had to do some majorish body work. This involved cleaning up some panel lines, deepening the front lip with a chisel, and measuring and drilling all those rivet holes. Once that was done the body was primed in grey (no photos)

The shell was painted 214 Brown. This is a metallic brown I had mixed from the local auto paint store. The flake size was PERFECT. That being said the colour took 6 coats to cover my grey primer (this would become a problem later). So I painted the shell and then realised I forgot to remove the rear quarter panel emblems which were cast into the shell (I wanted to use the PE parts). So I cut them off. Now I didn't want to do another 6 coats (i was only painting the quarter panel) for fear of losing my window trim detail. So I decide to use Mr Mahogany Surfacer which is a dark brown primer, thinking it would give a good base (perhaps a bit dark but it SHOULD BE FINE I told myself). Well it wasn't fine. The quarter panel came out darker. Initially I thought it was barely perceivable (and it was!). So I decided to continue because honestly who would notice it if I barely could... However after painting the flares the colour differential is now noticeable :( (the joys of the human eye). Now I really couldn't be bother stripping it as there was quite a bit of body work that I wasn't sure I'd be able to redo without loss of definition. So another valuable lesson learnt. Trust your gut and also annotate instructions if using aftermarket parts!!!

tJtn87c.jpg

iP33qRQ.jpg

See the darkness :(

HHxMRs8.jpg

6JWTnjB.jpg

Close up of rivets

XhOjfM5.jpg

Vertical discrepancy of the PE. Really annoying!

U4Jclnf.jpg

Bonus front end shot

PS I'm not a fan of the colour I used for the flares. Its Mr Color Steel. Thats what the instruction recommended however in hindsight I should have mixed in some flat black to the paint. So annoyed at the lying box art lol.

Edited by Mixalz
Accidentally set off language filter

Despite your issues, that is turning out awesome. 

You're doing an great job so far.

Thanks. First time using automotive paint. Great colour and finish but it took a lot of thinner to stop it spider-webbing (that's the reason I needed 5-6 coats lol). If anyone has any suggestions on how to manage that problem I'm all ears!!!

This is looking very good! Don't give up.

Here is where you can view kit contents and instructions. Avoid those battery-box surprises in the future.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/car/

THANK YOU! I can't believe I haven't seen that site. It has everything, even photos! Wow Bookmarked

PS I'm not a fan of the colour I used for the flares. Its Mr Color Steel. Thats what the instruction recommended however in hindsight I should have mixed in some flat black to the paint. So annoyed at the lying box art lol.

This is looking fantastic, I can't wait for the next post. I had a 1:1 260Z back in the day, great car.

Concerning the flares/spoiler I also recall that they usually had a more matt/satin finish. Is is feasible to coat them in a flat clear (which will probably come out more satin anyway)? Or a matt black wash?

Keep up the good work!

This is looking fantastic, I can't wait for the next post. I had a 1:1 260Z back in the day, great car.
Concerning the flares/spoiler I also recall that they usually had a more matt/satin finish. Is is feasible to coat them in a flat clear (which will probably come out more satin anyway)? Or a matt black wash?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the comments and suggestion. Good idea. I sat down at lunch to consider it but to be honest this isnt a one of my quality builds so far. Im happy with the current result but not thrilled. That being said I dont think I have the patience to remask it all. 

Recently I've found with my builds I either give 100% and will redo parts multiple times if needed or I will get a result I'm 80% happy with and accept it, learn and move on. This build falls into the later category. I may one day rebuild one and will know the pitfalls!

Michael