Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cal Custom 40-40 scoops, which kit ?

It's amazing how often people ask for advice/help/info then react aggressively when they don't get EXACTLY the answer they want, how they want to hear it, in a form that doesn't get their undies in a twist. 

Well this is interesting. I had thought those scoops must be Eldon/Doyusha...but in further comparison, I'm just not seeing it! The scoops on Greg's model appear to be rounded in back, whereas the Eldon parts are V'd. The Eldon scoops have a beveled edge that is constant in width around the perimeter, whereas Greg's scoops feature a bevel that flattens towards the back, much like the 1:1 Cal Custom 40-40!

Thanks for the additional angles showing the profile of those scoops more clearly, Greg. 

I think maybe we have not gotten to the bottom of this yet!

*Edit* Or maybe I'm second-guessing myself too much. Still...I'd like to think that maybe there's another cool kit out there that I haven't heard of yet that features these scoops.

IMHO any perceived aggression on this thread has stemmed from a misreading of tone, which can be difficult to convey in text.  If possible, I would like the discussion going forward to be solely about awesome air scoops that look like Cal Custom 40-40s...and their kit sources. 

Edited by Spex84

On 12/2/2017 at 10:21 AM, Greg Myers said:

To clear this up, these are the scoops in question. They were in an early model car kit issued in the mid sixties.

They were two parts two to a kit.

The 1:1 scoops were made by Cal-Custom and were available for two and four barrel carbs.

The scoops we're looking for here are the four barrel scoops.

The question is, what kit did they come in? 

s-l1000.jpg

20171012_190424.jpg.0673b4a44237e30ffb0355ad309dcb11.jpg

20170927_112428.jpg.e306b4d828a4624169ae42b5cea37f09.jpg

I believe that those scoops were in the original AMT 1964 1/2 Mustang Kit.

As our recently departed ( Non Automotive) Friend :lol:  would say, " Shazam!" 

Now that, my friends ( all of you that contributed positively ) is what this board is all about'.

A "Gracious" Thank you to all especially Ron Hamilton and Ron Savoie, and of course Chris Drysdale for prompting me on another thread as to the origins of these Scoops.

Yes! 1965, I had several Mustang kits so :Ps where I remember them from. Now to hit the stash and see if thar original AMT Fastback Mustang still has some in it, 

Edited by Greg Myers
grammer

5 hours ago, FordRodnKustom said:

You are correct sir! I pulled out my kit and checked and sure enough. I thought I had seen those things somewhere before!

2v2u5o3aFx29seC.jpg

2v2u5o3Enx29seC.jpg

2v2u5o39gx29seC.jpg

I have one of those in my collection, waiting to be built. I have an old glue-bomb, that had those scoops, that I thought were cool.

On 12/1/2017 at 12:58 PM, Mark said:

The Revell opening-doors '55 has the Cal Custom aluminum scoop that attaches to the top of the hood. 

Is this the (old) Revelll '55's Cal Custom scoop, part number X53(?)? (not the yellow scoop):

WP_20171207_004.jpg

WP_20171207_005.jpg

WP_20171207_006.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/5/2017 at 12:59 PM, FordRodnKustom said:

You are correct sir! I pulled out my kit and checked and sure enough. I thought I had seen those things somewhere before!

2v2u5o3Enx29seC.jpg

It looks to me like the AMT Mustang Hardtop/Convertible kit's scoops have near vertical front edges, while the scoops in question have angled front edges, giveing hte scoops a pronounced, angular fishmouth shape. I don't think the scoops in question are from the Mustang kit, but rather the AMT '65 and '66 Imperial kits, as Michael mentioned:

On 12/5/2017 at 2:42 PM, michaelbaskett said:

Those Scoops are also in the 65 Chrysler Imperial Kit...

s-l1600.jpg

The instruction sheet for the AMT ('65) Mustang HT/CV seems to jibe with what I see in the kit parts posted above, though there does appear to be some flash on the scoops:

AMTMustangHTCV2.jpg

Can't leave well enough alone.2v2u5o39gx29seC.jpg.74482bde34bc7da289870af7fbeeded4.jpg The scoops I used on the '40 Ford build were indeed from the Mustang kit as I did have that kit when it first came out and have never had the Imperial kit. One can clearly see in my pictures that the scoops do indeed have the angled front edge. Actual pictures of actual parts vs drawings in the instructions.

I think what we have here is a dead horse.

20171012_190424.jpg.0673b4a44237e30ffb0355ad309dcb11.jpg.d40d4c3ee0e4b69f6b08be0eac0d3599.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 12/1/2017 at 12:58 PM, Mark said:

The Revell opening-doors '55 has the Cal Custom aluminum scoop that attaches to the top of the hood.

I happened upon this Revell News page scan, and while the tone of the writer is very tongue in cheek, it states the scoop was made by Cragar:

revellnewsbl-vi.jpg