Model Cars Magazine Forum

Want to build a 57 Vette gasser, which one is good?

I feel the need to do the above build. What kits makes the nicest one? I remember I had one years ago molded in black, maybe Monogram. The tilt nose was badly warped and I didn't have the skills to fix it back then. I'm looking for a well detailed version with some challange to it but not a monster to make look nice.  Thanks.

I would seek out one of these older MPC '57 Corvette gasser kits on eBay. The tooling is a bit nicer and more crisp; the body is one piece (no tilt front end to deal with); it is set up as a gasser with traction bars, front axle, neat headers like the ones in the original Chris Lang Malco Vette  (and later reissues); and you can build the engine with a high rise & dual quads or blown. I just sold this one; so I can't help you out there; but you should be able to score one for around $30-$35.

2v2u8k8jSx3yrcP.jpgHosted on Fotki

17 minutes ago, krassandbernie said:

I would seek out one of these older MPC '57 Corvette gasser kits on eBay. The tooling is a bit nicer and more crisp; the body is one piece (no tilt front end to deal with); it is set up as a gasser with traction bars, front axle, neat headers like the ones in the original Chris Lang Malco Vette  (and later reissues); and you can build the engine with a high rise & dual quads or blown. I just sold this one; so I can't help you out there; but you should be able to score one for around $30-$35.

Agree completely. If you see any '57 Vette kit that shows or says "flip nose" on the box, RUN AWAY! RUN LIKE THE WIND! The body in that kit is a wretched backbirth. 

The kit above is a better starting point, but I think it lacks the hard top and some of the racing goodies of the flip-front kit. 

Best solution would be to start with a one-piece MPC body, then pick up the flip-front kit for all the rest of the parts in it. Unless you want to display the completed model with the front end flipped. Then go ahead and get the flipper kit, as you won't have to worry about the fact that the front and rear sections of the body don't come even close to matching up. 

4 hours ago, krassandbernie said:

Interesting!  Never realized there were 2 different versions of the MPC gasser Vette, in addition to the factory stock '57.

Did these earlier gasser versions share the body with the stock '57? (I recall several people on this forum stating that the rear wheel wells on the stock '57 were way too big, maybe to accommodate this version?)  Or did MPC actually make 3 different '57 Vette body tools?

I found a couple of the AMT kits on E-Bay, and one of the MPC version in the above post, but that kit is open and the seller states it my be missing parts. If the MPC white kit shows up over the next couple of days I may go for the MPC. There's a bunch of the black flip nose MPC on the Bay, but I'm not too interested in that one, although I seem to remember it being a decent kit other than the warped front.

Be aware that the AMT "57 Corvette Gasser" kit IS the flip-nose MPC. Don't buy that one if you're trying to dodge disappointment. 

There is another all-AMT '57 Corvette kit that was made in both pure stock and Pro Street versions. This is a pretty nice kit, except it has no hard top and the hart tops from other kits don't fit it. 

I would use the newest AMT 1957 Corvette (currently AMT1015, AMT1016 Car Culture Series, but readily available in several previous stock  and street machine issues) along with detail bits from the Revell 1962 Gasser.  I think the newer AMT 57 is far superior in every way to the old MPC kit. The MPC Street Machine straight axle has a single eliptical spring and an A frame radius rod setup. It is awkward and not typical of most 60's gasser setups.