Model Cars Magazine Forum

MBNA

Old Coyote

Another Excellent one, John. I wish I could get the results you do with testors enamel. Its just perfectly beautiful. I take it there is no polishing required?  That's the bad thing about using acryl. It has to be polished and I really hate polishing.

21 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Another Excellent one, John. I wish I could get the results you do with testors enamel. Its just perfectly beautiful. I take it there is no polishing required?  That's the bad thing about using acryl. It has to be polished and I really hate polishing.

Thanks Mark ........ You take it right, no polishing required ................ it just goes to prove that "even a blind squirrel stumbles upon an acorn every now and then" ......... not all my enamel paint jobs turn out this way :wacko:

Edited by Old Coyote

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, Old Coyote said:

Thanks Mark ........ You take it right, no polishing required ................ it just goes to prove that "even a blind squirrel stumbles upon an acorn every now and then" ......... not all my enamel paint jobs turn out this way :wacko:

John, Do you use the testors enamel from the small bottles with an air brush or with the rattle cans? 

20 hours ago, MarkJ said:

John, Do you use the testors enamel from the small bottles with an air brush or with the rattle cans? 

Sometimes I will use the rattle cans out of sheer laziness, but most of the time I use the enamel out of the small bottles thinned 2:1 (paint to thinner) through my Paasche double action airbrush.

3 hours ago, Old Coyote said:

Sometimes I will use the rattle cans out of sheer laziness, but most of the time I use the enamel out of the small bottles thinned 2:1 (paint to thinner) through my Paasche double action airbrush.

John, do you ever use lacquer thinner when shooting the enamel?

5 hours ago, MarkJ said:

John, do you ever use lacquer thinner when shooting the enamel?

No Mark, I used to use only Testor's enamel thinner. But lately I have been using Crown enamel thinner because of the exorbitant cost of the Testor's thinner ( I get almost twice the amount of the Crown thinner for the same price as the Testor's ). I know some say you can use lacquer thinner to thin enamels, but the chemical composition of the two is different and I just don't have the guts to try to mix the application. The paint on the MBNA Pontiac is Testor's enamel paint and Crown enamel thinner, mixed 2:1, and shot through the Paasche at 18 pounds of pressure.

Edited by Old Coyote

37 minutes ago, Old Coyote said:

No Mark, I used to use only Testor's enamel thinner. But lately I have been using Crown enamel thinner because of the exorbitant cost of the Testor's thinner ( I get almost twice the amount of the Crown thinner for the same price as the Testor's ). I know some say you can use lacquer thinner to thin enamels, but the chemical composition of the two is different and I just don't have the guts to try to mix the application. The paint on the MBNA Pontiac is Testor's enamel paint and Crown enamel thinner, mixed 2:1, and shot through the Paasche at 18 pounds of pressure.

How long after you shoot the enamel do you have to wait before you can tape for a two tone paint job or just to be able to handle the body for decaling or putting the model together?  Also  where do you get the crown enamel thinner?

13 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

How long after you shoot the enamel do you have to wait before you can tape for a two tone paint job or just to be able to handle the body for decaling or putting the model together?  Also  where do you get the crown enamel thinner?

With enamels I will usually wait 24-48 hours (or until all the "tackiness"  is gone) before I will attempt to mask for a second color application. With enamels I will usually wait that long before handling and decaling a body also. I'm rather sure, knowing where you live, that the weather and the humidity have a large hand in the length time it takes for enamels to dry. It's the same way here, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. Just make sure the paint is not tacky at all.

If I remember Mark I was able to find the Crown thinner at Lowes. It's Crown Paint thinner in the blue can.  It works on oil base paints, varnishes, and enamels.

14 hours ago, Old Coyote said:

With enamels I will usually wait 24-48 hours (or until all the "tackiness"  is gone) before I will attempt to mask for a second color application. With enamels I will usually wait that long before handling and decaling a body also. I'm rather sure, knowing where you live, that the weather and the humidity have a large hand in the length time it takes for enamels to dry. It's the same way here, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. Just make sure the paint is not tacky at all.

If I remember Mark I was able to find the Crown thinner at Lowes. It's Crown Paint thinner in the blue can.  It works on oil base paints, varnishes, and enamels.

Thanks, John. I think I will find a test body and give enamel a shot. Like I said , I hate polishing.

14 hours ago, MarkJ said:

John, I have one more question. How many coats do you put on? I have heard that enamel covers better, so you don't need as many coats. Also how long do you wait between coats?

Usually no more than two ........... I still lay down a coat of Duplicolor primer and wet sand it smooth with 1200 grit ........ then a very light coat of enamel just to check for any major blemishes ......... if no problems, I immediately apply the wet coat (not so heavy to cause any runs or sags) and set everything aside to dry ....... if you do find major issues after the light coat, you have to wait for the paint to dry, go back to the sandpaper, and start all over again.

Edited by Old Coyote

1 hour ago, Old Coyote said:

Usually no more than two ........... I still lay down a coat of Duplicolor primer and wet sand it smooth with 1200 grit ........ then a very light coat of enamel just to check for any major blemishes ......... if no problems, I immediately apply the wet coat (not so heavy to cause any runs or sags) and set everything aside to dry ....... if you do find major issues after the light coat, you have to wait for the paint to dry, go back to the sandpaper, and start all over again.

Thanks, John. That sounds great.

Edited by MarkJ

• 10 months later...