Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT NASCAR/sportsman Nova swap

modelfink

Hey guys, I am planning on using the Mark Jeffries method to build a sportsman Nova using an AMT NASCAR chassis and an AMT Nova body. My question is: If my donor kit is an AMT Ford with the rear steer Banjo style set up but the power plant is Chevy is it acceptable to use the Ford oil pan to clear the steering arms? Are there other things to consider with this swap? I'm still in the planning stages, so any info is helpful. Thanks.

Are you sure it's a rear steer chassis? Not sure what year it was, but at some point everyone went front steer no matter what make they ran. Since it's a Nova, wouldn't ya want to use a front steer too since that was stock? Clip the chassis and put the front steer on the rear steer chassis like we do the real cars?

2 minutes ago, dwc43 said:

Are you sure it's a rear steer chassis? Not sure what year it was, but at some point everyone went front steer no matter what make they ran. Since it's a Nova, wouldn't ya want to use a front steer too since that was stock? Clip the chassis and put the front steer on the rear steer chassis like we do the real cars?

I assume the AMT Fords have the rear steer set up. I'm still researching so I haven't got a kit to reference. It's not a huge deal, but I would like to get as accurate as possible to a Sportsman Nova that ran in the mid 70s

11 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Mid 70s would probably have been rear steer.

I assumed so too. I'm replicating a Jack Ingram car that would have a Banjo Matthews chassis. I dug out some old Stock Car Racing magazines from 75 that included a project sportsman car with front steer. Im curious to know if the NASCAR AMT kits engines can swap parts, mainly the oil pan and headers from the Fords onto the Chevy block.

6 hours ago, modelfink said:

I assumed so too. I'm replicating a Jack Ingram car that would have a Banjo Matthews chassis. I dug out some old Stock Car Racing magazines from 75 that included a project sportsman car with front steer. Im curious to know if the NASCAR AMT kits engines can swap parts, mainly the oil pan and headers from the Fords onto the Chevy block.

I do that all the time but I respace the center two header pipes to be more like a Chevy