Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 Torino hood and door panels

Ok, so rumaging through my stash I found a perfect unused Johan 72 Torino race car body. This is a completely stock Gran Torino Sport fastback body with all the trim, door handles, side markers etc.

I want to bash this body with the chassis and interior of a Starsky and Hutch kit, which fit almost perfectly. Here's my dilemma...

The hood from the Johan kit does not include the G.T.S. scoops on it. Anybody have any ideas where to find something that I can use for it? I thought about the scoop from a 71 Torino GT, but that's not really close enough. The 72 parts are green in these photos.

I also found out the interior door panels of the 72 Gran Torino Sport fastback are different than the standard door panels of the notchback Torino. Any ideas what I can use to duplicate these? The rest of the Starsky and Hutch kit should work for my needs.

Because this body is undamaged, I don't want to cut it up to match the standard hood and door panels. Although if I can ever come across another complete 72 body I'd like to make a standard notchback someday.

Or, does anybody have an old Johan snap kit Gran Torino Sport hood and interior they can spare?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

lakemoorcharitycarshow_2016_007.jpg

6c33c79e4fb999056fa5d8699048ff04.jpg

08.jpg

1972 72 Torino Door Panels.jpg

The Johan snap kit has the hood which is cast integral with the body.  Pretty sure someone offers that hood in resin.  Might also have the correct door panels.

Image result for johan ford torino

Edited by afx

Thanks, I'll try contacting them and see if they sell the hood separately, I don't want to buy the whole kit.

However, it looks like the door panels in the Johan interior bucket probably don't have any detail. So I'm still going to have to come up with a matching solution for that.

6 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Thanks, I'll try contacting them and see if they sell the hood separately, I don't want to buy the whole kit.

However, it looks like the door panels in the Johan interior bucket probably don't have any detail. So I'm still going to have to come up with a matching solution for that.

They will, I just bought two sets of stock 72 bumpers and two GT hoods for a similar project a month ago.

I am going to do the same project, and I got the pieces I needed from Motor City Resin Casters. The door panels should be scratch built, as the original Johan kit piece does not have any depth. A center floor console also has to be scratch built, as there was never one in the kit. Jeff at Motor City Resin Casters will give you the pricing for what you need.

4 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Mind if I ask the cost per each? Plus shipping?

It was $4 for the hood, $5 for the rear bumper, and $3 for the tail lights. Evidently l didn't get a front bumper but I can't imagine it'd be much more. Shipping on small stuff was just a few bucks, mine was more because I got a body too so I needed a bigger box. 

Edited by Fat Brian

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

They look good. I have a couple kits from them so I'm not surprised though. Nice to see the plating being available too. 

Yeah, and I didn't even ask for it, they just came that way. For $4 I expected bare resin and got plated, I couldn't be happier.