Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 959 Paris Dakar, and Speedster

89AKurt

On 8/22/2019 at 11:22 AM, Funkychiken said:

that is a stunner, great looking transkit & fantastic build!

Thank you for dropping in! ?

Finally sat myself down, put aside the whiny brat little voice ?, and forged ahead to do the plumbing.  I will admit to making up the intercooler mount, which is aluminum plate, punched holes American hot rod style (I'm sure Porsche had a much more complicated setup), added some photo-etch bolt heads for the final touch.  Hand painted the BEHR, no way was I using the thick decal, which was a generic font anyway.
DSC_0646_Fotor.thumb.jpg.4753ac95754aa6d3e13ccb242f6e33a8.jpg

I cut off the pipe down from the air box, made new aluminum rod pipes all the way to the turbos.
DSC_0647_Fotor.thumb.jpg.968ab8e74c6f030184bc284324875809.jpg

The single pipe from the intercooler to the intake is solder.  It took at least 90 minutes to test fit about a hundred times, but I *had to* put in what both kit manufacturers left out.
DSC_0648_Fotor.thumb.jpg.6b24dd8d549064bafb3bf632d606fc72.jpg

I assumed they rotated the compressor part of the turbos, stupid to point the outlet outward and turn the pipes 180°.  Aiming inward reduced length and avoided interference with two other pipes.
DSC_0649_Fotor.thumb.jpg.cd94a66e9f6e3ddb6bf86543b8f1e1e0.jpg

I had the body/chassis screwed together for fitting the parts.  I had temporarily glued the intercooler into the hood, then I winged it (pun intended) for making the mount.  Same with fitting the 3 pipes.  Saw that someone else had added hose clamps, so now I *have to* do that before calling the engine done.  Then I can airbrush flat clear/tan "dust" around the engine, then add grout dust, before buttoning up for the last time!  Scraped the skid plates across extremely rough emory cloth, then painted and wiped.  The pictures show how sloppy this build is, can hardly wait to really muck it up, as a proper rally car that was rode hard and hung up wet should look. ?
DSC_0652_Fotor.thumb.jpg.ceea5db25e4730e01026b302a95f4175.jpg

On 8/22/2019 at 5:40 AM, Rider said:

Man you are kicking serious butt on this build, real nice work.

Whoops, missed your comment (last one page 1).  It's more like this project is kicking my butt! ?  Got over the biggest hurdle without doing a faceplant. ?

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Whoops, missed your comment (last one page 1).  It's more like this project is kicking my butt! ?  Got over the biggest hurdle without doing a faceplant. ?

Faceplants are not good. Keep this going Kurt. Really looking forward to seeing this done. 

13 hours ago, Rider said:

Faceplants are not good. Keep this going Kurt. Really looking forward to seeing this done. 

You didn't need to tell me, it was so close that I didn't work today. ?

7 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Beautiful build. Porsche kits are always fun. Now I’ll have to buy some more!

Thank you.  I see your icon picture. ?

Buttoned up the body/chassis, and "weathered" the heck out of it!  I airbrushed flat clear with tan or brown mixed in around the engine first, and dusted.  When I woke up this morning, thought about making a jig with wires that go into the hubs, that way I could flip the whole car (unlike my other jig).  The mud flaps were cut per instruction patterns (instructions have much to be desired).  The skid plates were ground across rough emory cloth, painted and quickly wiped to simulate the carbon-fiber color, then glued on.  The mud is tile grout with a little acrylic paint to get the reddish color, and stabbed on with a brush, sort of a dry-brush.
DSC_0654_Fotor.thumb.jpg.21bd6356d8c2a21998ccf697789904b5.jpg
DSC_0655_Fotor.thumb.jpg.91f8f7c8aed19b8d56c0d8c3ec3d28e9.jpg

The front flaps photo-etch angles had large holes, so I added HO train bolts, made aluminum plate retainers, and used photo-etch nuts.  They must have replaced those at every service.  The middle flaps in the instructions was really vague, some p-e parts were not clearly indicated, so I figured out they must have been angles for these flaps.  The flaps are unpainted styrene sheet, ground across the emory cloth, and bent.  Used pictures of the real car to get placement correct.  Last parts glued on was the windshield with last photo-etch parts and wipers.
DSC_0656_Fotor.thumb.jpg.ef67831d01b9c1660b8e7dbf071597e4.jpg

Then the fun part, airbrushing lots of layers of flat clear with color added.  When I looked at pictures, saw that I needed to add the wire tow hook.  That stand really made a HUGE difference.
DSC_0657_Fotor.thumb.jpg.df89a4d1a6a1b72c57d6aeb9b915fedd.jpg

I kept spraying on "dust & mud" until I was happy, very happy! ?
DSC_0667_Fotor.thumb.jpg.af947216a2379916c0832ba970f83014.jpg

DONE!!!!!

• 2 years later...