Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two Monogram Slingshot dragsters

Built these awhile back but am slowly digging out my builds now that I have new displays to put them in. The blue one is oob from the Galaxie LTD re-release. Painted House of Kolor lacquer; candy oriental blue over a half-half mix of gold and silver base with 2k clear. The other was a original kit-glue bomb completed with a parts bin raid. The motor is from an original issue AMT T, velocity stacks front wheels/tires and axle from?? The headers I believe are 4 banger items from the Revell '31 Model A while the rear wheels and tires used to live on a Edmunds modified build. The roll bar is polished aluminium tubing.

The paint is a vintage pearl from the late 50's or early 60's I got in a number of boxes of custom paint and pearls from a friend of my dad's when he closed his body shop in the early 80's. The candy magenta also comes from this score and I believe is Metalflake brand. In keeping with the vintage flavour l did the clear with wet sanded and polished RM lacquer. Got a nice little stash of vintage paint carefully stored, amazing that it's still usable for the most part after 50 some years.

IMG_20171219_001742190_1.jpg

Edited by Phirewriter

Yeah although the nostalgic side of me would have liked a original style (scale) repop, I've found the current edition an incredible parts mine for some projects. Many of the chassis parts can be used with old Revell parts pack chassis (got a small hoard of various styles) and have been messing around with bashing them. I've got a few of the dragster and roadster accessories packs but given they go for a small fortune I'd rather use the parts from this.

I'm happy they made the effort to bring this out regardless of some issues.

Edited by Phirewriter