Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP Hasegawa taqa-Q Toyota 88c Finished 8/27/18

jchrisf

I'm trying to slow down a bit and build a better model so I hope doing a WIP might help me accomplish that.  This will be my 5th build.  I love the look of this car.  The body came in ten different pieces that I determined would be best to put together before paint.  I hope I am right... but the body looks sexy even now without paint and I'd love to drive around town in a street legal car like this.  To me it has a better shape than any exotic... even without the wing. I've also added a few pieces to the chassis and painted it flat black and the driver's area in Aluminum/Silver as the kit calls for.  It looks to be a fairly simple build with the kit quality almost as nice as Tamiya's... but not quiet. We'll see how it goes from here.

20237_a__67945.1505384287.jpg?c=2

I brushed on Tamiya's liquid surface primer in the bottle on some of the plastic weld areas where I glued the body pieces together. Capture.PNG.6594730dc6d47bbc5de5ca285103dda6.PNG

This is going to be a tricky paint job.  I'll post pics later of the decal sheet but the yellow and white stripes were on the sheet.  I think I might try to paint them instead.. starting with a white base coat on the entire body.

hasegawa-cc5.jpg

Edited by jchrisf

50 minutes ago, Ich_Will said:

YES! Will be following this. I love motorsports stuff.

Yeah man.. I love all Sports Prototype cars and most all road racing cars.  The prototypes are probably to coolest looking cars to me.

I haven't been bulk painting and assembling parts like I did in the past.  I got the instrument cluster painted with Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel flat black last night.  I just sprayed it without primer and it came out great so now I will be detailing it. 

I used my Molotow chrome pens and a gold metallic pen to paint the rotors.  I also used the Molotow on the wheels too but didn't like the way it turned out so they went in the Purple Pond.  The chrome came off very easily.  I also tried the Duplicolor Perfect Match Universal Chrome on a couple of the wheels and it looked nice but not as chromed as the Molotow.  The Molotow seems to match the real car's wheels perfectly so I will be putting it on again.  I may have to try to paint it on with a small brush instead of the pen.  I've never seen anyone mention doing that.  Using the pen tip didn't come out as smooth as I would like it.

IMG_0581.thumb.JPG.e9792a2887869b36722ea01edc4f8df0.JPG 

On the decal sheet it looks like they expect you to paint it yellow and black and use the decals for the white but I am hoping to use paint for the white instead of the decals. 

IMG_0582.thumb.JPG.5b6ba1846b5c87d64f1845715fbd13cc.JPG

Chris.... This is going to be a great build. I love these types of race cars. I have a few of the Tamiya Kits that I want to build. Would love to detail the Sauber Mercedes or the Mazda 787. I will be following along on this build. Looking forward to more updates on it.

17 hours ago, Mooneyzs said:

Chris.... This is going to be a great build. I love these types of race cars. I have a few of the Tamiya Kits that I want to build. Would love to detail the Sauber Mercedes or the Mazda 787. I will be following along on this build. Looking forward to more updates on it.

Thanks Chris! I would love to see you build one of those.  I've read that the Tamiya Sauber is one of the most detailed kits out there.  That would be perfect for someone with your great talent.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:06 PM, Dann Tier said:

Looking great!, keep it up!!!

Thanks Dann!

On 7/11/2018 at 10:27 PM, Gt fan said:

Try Testors metalizer spray. They make aluminum color when it is dry you can buff it up to a shine with a q- tip .

I've been meaning to get some of that the next time I place an online order because they don't have it in any stores around here.  I might get the Lacquer in the bottle too.

On 7/12/2018 at 3:14 AM, PatW said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this jcrisf.

Thanks Pat!  I didn't get much done this weekend.  I primed the body and found a couple of seams that I needed to fill and sand some more.  I painted the wheels and realized the Duplicolor Acrylic Lacquer White paint I painted them with didn't work well for putting on the Molotow Chrome.  I thought my pen was out of paint but it just didn't want to adhere to the paint.  I used the same paint on another part and it pulled away with the masking tape after I applied another color so maybe it is the paint.

I did get the instrument panel and steering wheel completed.  It looks a lot better to the eye than with my old iPhone 5.

IMG_0590.thumb.JPG.7612e81a9271cc7a3409b7cc1e1c15e3.JPG

On 7/16/2018 at 3:36 AM, jchrisf said:

Thanks Chris! I would love to see you build one of those.  I've read that the Tamiya Sauber is one of the most detailed kits out there.  That would be perfect for someone with your great talent.

You are welcome. That Dash is looking great. Yeah that kit looks like a good candidate for dome detailing. I actually picked up a set of the Scale Motor sports carbon fiber kit along with a Photo-Etch set they had for it too. The other Tamiya kits seem like decal nightmares...lol. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 8:18 PM, da_ashman said:

Great work so far!! Molotov sell a spraycan chrome which is the exact same stuff in the pens, or they also sell refills which can be airbrushed.

I didn't know that... I knew they made a refill canister but not a spraycan.  Though after seeing Chris Sobak's Alclad Chrome I think it might be less expensive and easier to go this route with similar if not better results that Molotow.

On 7/17/2018 at 7:59 PM, Mooneyzs said:

You are welcome. That Dash is looking great. Yeah that kit looks like a good candidate for dome detailing. I actually picked up a set of the Scale Motor sports carbon fiber kit along with a Photo-Etch set they had for it too. The other Tamiya kits seem like decal nightmares...lol. 

How is your F1 car coming that I remember seeing in the background of your 1/16 Funny Car thread?

I can't believe I have let so much time get by without getting much done.  I usually knock out one car a month.  I've got to get on the ball.  I've had some trouble with paint.. if I can ever get the paint mastered it will be easy sailing for me for all builds.  I did finish up the wheels and get them assembled.  I had to strip them about three times before I got this good enough.  The Molotow pen is hard to use in this type of space so I think I will go the Alclad Chrome route the next time.  The body is finally primed and just needs a light wet sand before I tape off the white and black areas and spray with the body with Yellow.  I think I will use the Duplicolor sandable white primer for the White on this car because it looks really good.  

IMG_0625.JPG.463223a974a1b7e693b749b51a6bf577.JPG

Your tire decals will look better if you coat them with dull coat after lettering them. A lot of people will spray gloss on the tires, then decal the tires. Then dull coat them afterwards.

Your overall build looks like its going to be killer when you're done.

4 hours ago, jchrisf said:

How is your F1 car coming that I remember seeing in the background of your 1/16 Funny Car thread?

The F1 car got pushed to the back burner while I was getting the funny car done for the IPMS Nationals. I will be getting it back to the bench and slowing working on it as I am working on the Triple Dragster build that is going on. I have been looking forward to doing the F1 as a box stock build which I would hope wouldn't take too long to build so I can get another completed model on the shelf... :lol:

6 hours ago, Mooneyzs said:

The F1 car got pushed to the back burner while I was getting the funny car done for the IPMS Nationals. I will be getting it back to the bench and slowing working on it as I am working on the Triple Dragster build that is going on. I have been looking forward to doing the F1 as a box stock build which I would hope wouldn't take too long to build so I can get another completed model on the shelf... :lol:

I would love to see what a box stock build by a guy with your talent would look like.  I would also think you could easily get it done in a week if you didn't have anything else going on.  

9 hours ago, iBorg said:

Your tire decals will look better if you coat them with dull coat after lettering them. A lot of people will spray gloss on the tires, then decal the tires. Then dull coat them afterwards.

Your overall build looks like its going to be killer when you're done.

Thanks and you read my mind.  I was going to ask if I should apply some Dull-Coat.  How much should I apply?  These tires have such a low profile there is not much room for anything else.  I've read where people drybrush some white paint to weather them a bit and I might try that.  I'm also going to apply a little bit of a wash to the center of the wheels.  

Not a great pic but here is the body in primer.  I was finally able to get rid of the lines where I glued the back on and another piece that filled one of the tunnels in the body.  It took several applications of Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer and a lot of sanding.  IMG_0626.thumb.JPG.fa4b5c91bfd2259e3e7dac9baa715117.JPG

Looking good man. I hear you on the slow progress. I feel like I've been mired on the same build for too long. I thought I'd quickly knock out a customized die-cast Bugatti. It's still languishing on the workbench. Meanwhile I want to start other kits.

10 hours ago, Davewilly said:

looks like it will be a nice kit to build

20 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

Looking good man. I hear you on the slow progress. I feel like I've been mired on the same build for too long. I thought I'd quickly knock out a customized die-cast Bugatti. It's still languishing on the workbench. Meanwhile I want to start other kits.

Thanks Ich_Will and Davewilly!  I'm looking forward to starting my first Sprint Car when this one is done.

This would be a really easy kit to build except for the complicated color scheme of this particular kit and the several different pieces of the body.  I am not sure why they didn't just make the body one piece?  But I've had a lot of work getting rid of the weld lines where I glued the pieces together.  

I got the chassis complete last night.  Now I just have to do a little sanding on the primer and get the body painted and cleared.  The instrument panel actually attaches to the body so it is not in the pics but the rest of the simple cockpit is done.  Unfortunately the rotors I chromed aren't even visible after they were installed.  I also put some dullcoat on the tires.

IMG_0629.thumb.JPG.ccb347c0c21ff1b293ac2e8c2c0c1bb1.JPGIMG_0628.thumb.JPG.2ca673d9ac1f398bf79e1898a3a49309.JPG

22 hours ago, Scalper said:

That's a mean looking car in the last pic.. nice stance. love these type of race cars

Yeah, me too.. these prototype cars are my favorites.  I'd love to have a street legal version of this car.  I think I remember you did one of these prototypes recently (a Porsche?) that looked awesome?

55 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Yeah, me too.. these prototype cars are my favorites.  I'd love to have a street legal version of this car.  I think I remember you did one of these prototypes recently (a Porsche?) that looked awesome?

Yes a Porsche and a Jag  . no one liked the jag lol