Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/20 Williams FW27 w/Acu-Station detail set

Started a new project this week, it's a Williams FW27. 

I'm using a Acu-Station high detail set which replaces many of the kit parts, getting them to fit correctly is were the fun begins. I'm adding as much carbon decal as I can from Studio 27, carbon decal A size medium. 

I have the body pieces primed and the white coat done, need to mask off now and add the blue areas, i'm using Zero Paints. 

Chris

www.wardsmodelbuilder.com

wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com

5DORnT[1].jpg

P90O7d[1].jpg

Ua0Ss0[1].jpg

Here is an update on the Williams, going along pretty well now. Engine is complete and I have painted the body just need to add the clear coat. The Acu-cation detail set is very good in the detail it adds over the standard parts however there has been several fitting issues with the parts. The new shocks dont allow the bodywork to fit correctly so some cutting out needed to be done. The brake discs are very nice however the centre hole they give you isn't big enough for the axle to fit through, why they didn't make it a little large I have no idea, the metal they have used is so tough too, very difficult drilling all the six pieces per wheel, but got there in the end. If your considering using this detail kit just be prepared for a lot of messing around. 

So the next update should include the bodywork together after clear coating and hopefully the front suspension all mounted. Then it's just a case of all the little bits!!! 

WmJfIE[1].jpg

jXQphe[1].jpg

RAFAnQ[1].jpg

On 7/13/2018 at 6:44 AM, Turberticus said:

Looks good so far! I've been trying to find this kit but it's become incredibly rare these days. Looking forward to seeing additional progress.

I have one but would never part with it or build it.  I was at Tamiya HQ the week before it was released and was given it by  S. Tamiya himself.  He and M. Tamiya both signed and dated it.  It's a keeper.  By the way, the Scale Motorsport set for it is really outstanding but equally rare and hard to find. 

On 7/19/2018 at 5:09 PM, Pete J. said:

I have one but would never part with it or build it.  I was at Tamiya HQ the week before it was released and was given it by  S. Tamiya himself.  He and M. Tamiya both signed and dated it.  It's a keeper.  By the way, the Scale Motorsport set for it is really outstanding but equally rare and hard to find. 

Thats awesome, I wouldnt build it either!!!

Another update on the Williams, Clear coating all done so I started to put the body together and added the side pods and front suspension. I have also started with some wiring detailing. 

Getting close to where I can put the engine together to the chassis and then into the floor. 

Hopefully my next update will be of the finished model. 

Chris 

www.wardsmodelbuilder.com

wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com

p6a85I[1].jpg

dXzcZm[1].jpg

3JRuyp[1].jpg