Model Cars Magazine Forum

If You Go To Dallas You Will Enjoy Wild Bill's

The family did our yearly trip to Dallas for AnimeFest which gave me the chance to slip off to Wild Bill's Hobby in Irving. It is a general purpose old-school place. They have pretty much anything you might want. As far as car kits, it is amazing to me. A lot of older kits tucked away with current issues. I only get to go once a year, but I always find some things that I want.

ModelKits.PNG

ModelKitsWheels.PNG

1 hour ago, oldcarfan said:

Yeah, the prices are average hobby shop range, but they have a good selection of oddball kits. I'm regretting that I didn't buy the IMAI (?) Hyundai Pony. I like the weird cars! They have quite a few 80s-90s old stock kits.

I bought that kit wayyyy back in the 1990's cause it looked like a perfect college student car .  I massaged the front to look as though the car had been in a front collision . I need to dig it out so I can share the Doug Wilder for governor bumper sticker I did . I still owned a wrecker business then .

On 8/20/2018 at 6:34 PM, oldcarfan said:

Yeah, the prices are average hobby shop range, but they have a good selection of oddball kits. I'm regretting that I didn't buy the IMAI (?) Hyundai Pony. I like the weird cars! They have quite a few 80s-90s old stock kits.

I lived in the Dallas area for 25 years and shopped at Wild Bills countless times.  There were so many car kits,  they would often be three deep on the lower shelves, while the top shelves could be piled up to six kits high.  

Me and my best modeling buddy used to basically make a day of it & see what we'd come home with.  Every once in a while our diligent searches would be rewarded by an older MPC kit, Poly-S paints, or something equally rare.  The owner also used to stash some less common kits in the corner by the airbrush counter, so we always stopped there first.   

Given the number of kits, supplies, and range of paints, IMNSHO it's probably the best hobby shop in the Dallas area for car & truck modelers.

On 8/22/2018 at 5:07 PM, Monty said:

There were so many car kits,  the top shelves could be piled up to six kits high.  

The owner also used to stash some less common kits in the corner by the airbrush counter, so we always stopped there first.   

He still has them stacked high and deep and I saw a stack of older 80 NASCAR kits over in the corner. He has a decent selection of diecast cars too.

I went there yesterday on my way to the airport. His prices were hard to figure out- the new Scout II kit was $26.95 but an AMT 2017 Camaro kit was $31.95. The number of NASCAR kits were the most that I have seen since a swap meet here in the Carolinas. I didn't see anything I could not live without, especially at the prices shown.

Old time feel? Yes.