Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Edsel Pacer - AMT

Rodrigo Maia

On 07/09/2018 at 12:34 PM, espo said:

Very nicely finished Edsel. Your build shows one of their more popular color combinations that were offered. Even with some of the paint combinations offered  by the different manufactures at that time, you didn't drive an Edsel if you wanted to go unnoticed. 

I did not know it was a common color combination, I built with these colors to honor a magazine I like here in Brazil and in edition number 1 there is an Edsel with these colors on the cover.
I actually had a hard time finding photos of a real car in these colors.

DSC06931.jpg

405190_4.jpg

4 hours ago, Rodrigo Maia said:

I did not know it was a common color combination, I built with these colors to honor a magazine I like here in Brazil and in edition number 1 there is an Edsel with these colors on the cover.
I actually had a hard time finding photos of a real car in these colors.

DSC06931.jpg

405190_4.jpg

As I recall the manufactures started trying out three tone cars around '55 models. The ones I remember most were the Dodges and De Soto's, Buicks were the only GM product that I can remember. The Edsel's were actually about the last models to use this style of paint treatment. Some of the color combinations including the combination you used look very nice at that time.  What I meant by saying that you wouldn't go unnoticed was that they would catch your eye in a good way. I tried to convince my father we should have an Edsel when they came out, he was a very conservative type and didn't want to draw attention in that way. We carried on with a '56 Chevrolet 210 4 door 6 Cyl. 3 speed manual transmission with black wall tires, he splurged on a blue and white color combination since that was the only one the Chevrolet dealer had at the time. Like I said he wanted to be inconspicuous.