Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
leafsprings

Kenworth conventional experts

Recommended Posts

Looked at an older Kenworth brochure ( printed 7-70 )  and noticed the long hood version. It is different, straight cut down compared to  newer hoods with the cut out air intake tube. Is it simply called a long hood  for that year or is it a different model number. Anyone ever try to build this type of hood?

IMG_5663.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe that it had a different model number like the W900L of today.  This is similar to the W900/T900 the Revell of Germany makes; just a different year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look closely on the pictures you see that the hood itself is the same length on both trucks, the cowl is extended on the blue truck and the back edge of the hood is straight.
But Kenworth had two lengths for the early W900's.
Short Hood         63 inch 1967-82
Extended Hood  74 inch 1970-82
So before 1970-ish they extended the cowl and the hoods were the same, after that they extended the hood and kept the standard cowl.
 

Jim B said "I don't believe that it had a different model number like the W900L of today.  This is similar to the W900/T900 the Revell of Germany makes; just a different year"

The Revell Germany Kenworth Conventionals are W900 but it was done up and supposed to be an Australian truck once and they called them T900 as the Australian Kenworth Conventionals are T not W.
But the Revell kit is not right for an Australian truck as the Australian Kenworth factory have their own series of trucks wich are different from the US trucks.

Edited by Force

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Force said:

If you look closely on the pictures you see that the hood itself is the same length on both trucks, the cowl is extended on the blue truck and the back edge of the hood is straight.
But Kenworth had two lengths for the early W900's.
Short Hood         63 inch 1967-82
Extended Hood  74 inch 1970-82
So before 1970-ish they extended the cowl and the hoods were the same, after that they extended the hood and kept the standard cowl.
 

Jim B said "I don't believe that it had a different model number like the W900L of today.  This is similar to the W900/T900 the Revell of Germany makes; just a different year"

The Revell Germany Kenworth Conventionals are W900 but it was done up and supposed to be an Australian truck once and they called them T900 as the Australian Kenworth Conventionals are T not W.
But the Revell kit is not right for an Australian truck as the Australian Kenworth factory have their own series of trucks wich are different from the US trucks.

Would it be possible to extend the cab and rework the hood for that year model?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The long hood W900 began production in the 1970 manufacturing year , in prior years, If you ordered the higher horse large engines predominantly 12v71 Detroit or the 1693 Cat diesels,  to accommodate these larger engine and cooling packages Kenworth came up with a simple cowl extension , the hood was the same length but without the cutouts for the air cleaner piping. Then in 1970 at some point the long hood ( as found in the Revell/Monogram) kits was put into production and the cowl extension was done away with! The model designation was always W9.. with the last numbers indicating suspension, eg W923 (AMT current reissue).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they're commonly referred to as A models the shorter hood was a B which became an A when the  long hood was discontinued

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1967-82 "A" model was availabe with both the short 63 inch and the longer 74 inch hoods, "B" came in 1982-83 and the short hood on the "B" is 61 1/4 and the "B" has square headlights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Thanks for all the knowledgeable replies.  And from the photo,  impossible to distinguish if its a narrow or wide nose. Something to consider with the old, but now re issued,  Watkins Kenworth. 

Edited by leafsprings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the year, and if the brochure is for a W900, I'd say it's for the wide nose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if brian builds one it'll most likely be the most detailed and accurate ever built , how about a nice single axle big stick companion to the dodge.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 6:38 AM, mailman said:

if brian builds one it'll most likely be the most detailed and accurate ever built , how about a nice single axle big stick companion to the dodge.....

Thanks for the kind words Chris, but if if you saw the way I shake most days, you say that I needed a new hobby. :D I haven't considered a single axle big stick, but that does sound pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Thanks for the kind words Chris, but if if you saw the way I shake most days, you say that I needed a new hobby. :D I haven't considered a single axle big stick, but that does sound pretty cool.

Less coffee? :D How are you riding out Hurricane Florence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim B said:

Less coffee? :D How are you riding out Hurricane Florence?

Maybe it's the sweet tea!:D

So far the only thing here is some wind, but not too bad and rain,but not extremely heavy. The forecast still calls for us to get as much as 6-11 inches of rain in all. Thanks for asking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, right, sweet tea!  You are South of the Mason-Dixon line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the extended cowl panel you would definitely see the the widenose hood , the purpose of the extended cowl was to accommodate the larger higher horse engine which would require a larger radiator. With the short hood you could still see a narrow nose although by the early 70’s they were slowly phased out. I haven’t been able to figure out when the narrow nose was dropped as of yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every extended cowl KW I have ever seen had the wide nose. As mentioned above, the extended cowl was used for high horsepower engines that were always paired with a wide radiator. I believe the narrow nose was available as an option up until 1982, but they are pretty rare much beyond the mid-70's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2018 at 1:41 PM, PettyKW43 said:

With the extended cowl panel you would definitely see the the widenose hood , the purpose of the extended cowl was to accommodate the larger higher horse engine which would require a larger radiator. With the short hood you could still see a narrow nose although by the early 70’s they were slowly phased out. I haven’t been able to figure out when the narrow nose was dropped as of yet.

just to add a little something,you could of had a narrow nose extended cowl also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2018 at 3:10 PM, KJ790 said:

Every extended cowl KW I have ever seen had the wide nose. As mentioned above, the extended cowl was used for high horsepower engines that were always paired with a wide radiator. I believe the narrow nose was available as an option up until 1982, but they are pretty rare much beyond the mid-70's.

wasnt there a medium grill size also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2018 at 3:28 PM, PettyKW43 said:

The long hood W900 began production in the 1970 manufacturing year , in prior years, If you ordered the higher horse large engines predominantly 12v71 Detroit or the 1693 Cat diesels,  to accommodate these larger engine and cooling packages Kenworth came up with a simple cowl extension , the hood was the same length but without the cutouts for the air cleaner piping. Then in 1970 at some point the long hood ( as found in the Revell/Monogram) kits was put into production and the cowl extension was done away with! The model designation was always W9.. with the last numbers indicating suspension, eg W923 (AMT current reissue).

You are the correct one sir. Also note on the blue extended cowl the old KW 4 bag air ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-09-22 at 6:26 PM, SpreadAxle said:

This is pretty interesting. I have never seen an extended cowl.

There is a nice one shown in a video on YouTube with a V12 Detroit, in a 67Kenwotth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a side note Kenworth was still using the one piece sleeper box doors as opposed to a separate storage compartment door and also the back panel of the box was a ribbon shape much like the Mercury box! The change to the two piece door and flat rear box panel started somewhere in late 70 to sometime in 71.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...